[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pennington refuses to take a pay cut

Fantasy Jesus

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with asking for a restructure.  The Jets are in salary cap purgatory and Pennington is being overpaid.

However, its ludicrous to expect someont to take an 89% pay cut.  They are more or less forcing him out.

1329650[/snapback]

Pennington was a late season pickup for me several years ago and won our league's SuperBowl for me. For that alone I root for him. It's obvious the Jets are forcing his hand. It's a business decision. Maybe some of us find it merciless but the NFL long ago quit being a sport and is now all about the money.

Anyone here ever been "downsized"? I have and it is powerfully painful. So Chad, get your money that you are due and good luck to you where ever you end up.

And I like that word, "ludicrous"....the way Mike Tyson pronounces it especially, lol.

Pennington has been paid 22 million dollars for the last two years, most of which he could not play. Now, the Jets are saying, take this 1 mil in base pay, and with playing time and performance incentives, you can still make another 8 mil this year. He declined. Cut him. Mawae also refused to renegotiate. Cut him too. He's not going to make 4.5 mil in the FA market.

The Jets are in full rebuild mode, and as a Jets fan, I'm fine with that. At least when they win 4 games this year, we have an excuse. Draft Cutler, go O line after that, and with another high draft spot next year, get an RB and a WR, and look to 2008 to contend.... or at least be competitive.

Pennington will be lucky to get an offer over the league minimum in the FA market. let him walk away from a 1 mil garrantee, with 8 mil in incentives. Don't let the door hit you in the butt.

Just as in the T.O. situation, I say a contract is a contract. If he doesn't want to take a pay cut he shouldn't have to. If that means he is cut then that is his decision. However, if the Jets wanted him to take less this year for cap reason but he would eventually get the money somewhere down the line then I think he is an idiot for not taking a pay cut.

Two Jets' players have lobbied for the release of QB Chad Pennington.

"I think we should release him; he's too injury-prone," one player said. "He's like an egg back there," another player said, referring to Pennington's fragility. "I mean, look at the ways he's gotten hurt. He hasn't even been hit that hard. The injuries have come from awkward hits and falls. I think we should just cut him." Sounds like offensive linemen. Feb. 17 - 11:00 am et

Source: New York Post

I dunno. I'm far from being a Jets fan, but Pennington is a good QB when he stays healthy. I mean, this is the same guy who led the Jets to within two missed field goals of the AFC championship in 2004. There are enough teams that are desperate at QB that someone will take a chance on him for more than $1 million, with lots of incentive clauses built into the contract.

I dunno.  I'm far from being a Jets fan, but Pennington is a good QB when he stays healthy.  I mean, this is the same guy who led the Jets to within two missed field goals of the AFC championship in 2004.  There are enough teams that are desperate at QB that someone will take a chance on him for more than $1 million, with lots of incentive clauses built into the contract.

1332695[/snapback]

I agree but from I learned last year from doctors his injury takes longer than 9 months to heal. He should let it really do that this time and take the season off.

"At least when they win 4 games this year, we have an excuse. "

They'll win 4 games or less for more than the next few years. This team is godawful and I knew it in pre-season this past year. Say what you will about Hackett, but the guy knew how subpar his offensive line was and designed an offensive scheme to hide it. With last year's scheme it should have been obvious after the NYG pre-season game that this line couldn't protect a QB for the time necessary to run the routes, there's a reason why 4 (FOUR!) starting QB's got knocked out of games and/or the season last year, either all 4 QBs are eggshells or else the offensive line is one of the 5 worst in the NFL, I'm going with the latter.

If I'm Pennington and my "incentives" are based on performance next year where its not certain that any QB could last 3 games behing that atrocious O-Line (particularly if Mawae isn't back) I might consider signing a minimum salary contract with another franchise.

I'm just speculating here, but it seems to me the only reason it would unfold this way is that Pennington and the Jets both know that his shoulder is not healing and that he probably can't play anymore. If that's the case, I don't blame the Jets for trying to recoup some of their losses from the past couple of years. But I don't blame Pennington for telling them to shove it where the sun don't shine.

If I was an NFL player and a team guaranteed me $20 million and still owed me $12 million of it...and I had already restructured my contract once to help them out...and I had an entirely new management and coaching staff coming in that didn't want me around...and I had sacrificed my body for the team and given absolutely all that I had and played through pain and injury and gone through a painful rehab to try to rush back last year...and I was uncertain that I'd be able to make a living playing football any longer...I think I'd say: "Thanks for the offer of an 89% pay cut, but if it's all the same with you I think I'll just take the $12 million you owe me and be on my way."

When healthy, Pennington was a good QB and a great team leader. What happened to him was simply a case of bad luck. All NFL players are one play away from a career-ending injury. Teams think nothing of cutting a player and voiding the remaining years on his contract. The signing bonus is all a player really has - Chad would be crazy not to take every penny coming to him.

Just as in the T.O. situation, I say a contract is a contract.  If he doesn't want to take a pay cut he shouldn't have to.  If that means he is cut then that is his decision.  However, if the Jets wanted him to take less this year for cap reason but he would eventually get the money somewhere down the line then I think he is an idiot for not taking a pay cut.

1330212[/snapback]

I like your opinion on this :D nearly as much as I like your avatar. :D

"At least when they win 4 games this year, we have an excuse. "

They'll win 4 games or less for more than the next few years.  This team is godawful and I knew it in pre-season this past year.  Say what you will about Hackett, but the guy knew how subpar his offensive line was and designed an offensive scheme to hide it.  With last year's scheme it should have been obvious after the NYG pre-season game that this line couldn't protect a QB for the time necessary to run the routes, there's a reason why 4 (FOUR!) starting QB's got knocked out of games and/or the season last year, either all 4 QBs are eggshells or else the offensive line is one of the 5 worst in the NFL, I'm going with the latter.

If I'm Pennington and my "incentives" are based on performance next year where its not certain that any QB could last 3 games behing that atrocious O-Line (particularly if Mawae isn't back) I might consider signing a minimum salary contract with another franchise.

1332899[/snapback]

I didn't know turds could talk.... or type, except on Southpark. 4 wins or less for more than a few years? Stupidity.... or more likely a Giants fan, which sort of goes hand in hand. It doesn't take 5 years to rebuild anymore, tool time, but I do admire your blind homerism. Next up, yer gonna tell us how good the Giant CB's are, right? :D

I'm just speculating here, but it seems to me the only reason it would unfold this way is that Pennington and the Jets both know that his shoulder is not healing and that he probably can't play anymore.  If that's the case, I don't blame the Jets for trying to recoup some of their losses from the past couple of years.  But I don't blame Pennington for telling them to shove it where the sun don't shine.

If I was an NFL player and a team guaranteed me $20 million and still owed me $12 million of it...and I had already restructured my contract once to help them out...and I had an entirely new management and coaching staff coming in that didn't want me around...and I had sacrificed my body for the team and given absolutely all that I had and played through pain and injury and gone through a painful rehab to try to rush back last year...and I was uncertain that I'd be able to make a living playing football any longer...I think I'd say:  "Thanks for the offer of an 89% pay cut, but if it's all the same with you I think I'll just take the $12 million you owe me and be on my way."

When healthy, Pennington was a good QB and a great team leader.  What happened to him was simply a case of bad luck.  All NFL players are one play away from a career-ending injury.  Teams think nothing of cutting a player and voiding the remaining years on his contract.  The signing bonus is all a player really has - Chad would be crazy not to take every penny coming to him.

1333136[/snapback]

:D Absolutely right. Screw redoing the contract and then getting shafted later, take the money and run now.

:D  Absolutely right.  Screw redoing the contract and then getting shafted later, take the money and run now.

1337574[/snapback]

Uhh...I'm pretty sure Pennington would get zero more dollars from the Jets if they cut him -- certainly not $12 million. Am I missing something here?

It's all about what he'll get paid NEXT year. It sounds to me like he's willing to play for the veteran minimum somewhere else and hope to cash in after the '06 season.

Uhh...I'm pretty sure Pennington would get zero more dollars from the Jets if they cut him -- certainly not $12 million. Am I missing something here?

It's all about what he'll get paid NEXT year. It sounds to me like he's willing to play for the veteran minimum somewhere else and hope to cash in after the '06 season.

1337672[/snapback]

As far as I know he would get nothing. The $12 Million figure you hear is the cap hit the Jets would take this year which is the accelerated signing bonus. He has already received that. 2 shoulder surgeries, I'm not really sure he'll ever be effective again.

I misunderstood it also.  Vet's points about Pennington being shabbily treated are valid though, but the NFL isn't a charity, it's a business.

1338629[/snapback]

Pennington is NOT being treated poorly here, folks. He made 22 million freakin dollars for playing in 18 (parts of 18) NFL games the past two years. Please, pleeeeeease treat me like that. He hasn't earned that 22 mil. He is YET to play a full season in the NFL. The best he ever did was to start 12 games in 2002.

If he had confidence in his ability to come back and play, then why not sign up for 1 mil garanteed and another 8 in reachable incentives? Aside from that, is there even another team that would garantee a mil? No, if he gets cut, he'll get the NFL minimum.

This is about Condon...... he thinks other agents would use this against him in recruiting the kids. maybe I should remind poeple... Tim Couch? Refused to sign after he got hurt? Guess who HIS agent was? BINGO! Condon! that worked out real well for Couch, didn't it?

PS: Over the past two years, Pennington has made $315,000 per quarter that he has played. Not bad for well under 20 minutes of work.

Edited by Rovers

Pennington is NOT being treated poorly here, folks. He made 22 million freakin dollars for playing in 18 (parts of 18) NFL games the past two years. Please, pleeeeeease treat me like that. He hasn't earned that 22 mil. He is YET to play a full season in the NFL. The best he ever did was to start 12 games in 2002.

If he had confidence in his ability to come back and play, then why not sign up for 1 mil garanteed and another 8 in reachable incentives? Aside from that, is there even another team that would garantee a mil? No, if he gets cut, he'll get the NFL minimum.

This is about Condon...... he thinks other agents would use this against him in recruiting the kids. maybe I should remind poeple... Tim Couch? Refused to sign after he got hurt? Guess who HIS agent was? BINGO! Condon! that worked out real well for Couch, didn't it?

PS: Over the past two years, Pennington has made $315,000 per quarter that he has played. Not bad for well under 20 minutes of work.

1339596[/snapback]

Hardly his fault he's been injured, is it? Kinda validates what Vet was saying.