[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matt Leinart Evaluation

Guest Sores

Matt Leinart, quarterback, Southern Cal

Dick Corrick, an NFL scout for 30 years, reports on Matt Leinart, a 6-foot-4, 225-pound quarterback from Southern Cal:

Matt Leinart"He's a left-handed passer. He struggled with the deep ball versus both UCLA and Texas. The deep ball lacked accuracy, velocity. It kind of waffled and wasn't a tight ball. But he can line the short and medium throws with accuracy.

In the second half of the Rose Bowl, he really came on. He carried his team. He puts touch and air on the deep ball. But against Texas, their DBs were able to react and recover and make plays on the ball. He showed some slide ability in the pocket, but he's not a quick, nifty-footed guy. He showed some pure straight-line run ability when everybody was covered. He's not a scrambler.

If you have to make the call between him and (Vince) Young, I guess it's what you want out of a quarterback. This guy can run the shotgun, play under center. You're not sure Young can do that. This guy looks like he's the complete deal. He's extremely intelligent.

But I'm concerned about that deep ball. I saw that in two games. He and Carson Palmer are both Heisman Trophy winners. They're both in the same system. But Palmer threw the deep ball much better."

I have a hunch Rodgers will be good. He has had a good tutor.

1330591[/snapback]

Good tutor? Favre said last year in an interview it wasn't his job to "tutor" Rodgers. He said that he should learn everything on his own, just like Favre did when he came into the league.

There have been tons of great young QB prospects that have had good "tutors" but have failed to pan out. Griese anyone?

I personally think Rodgers will bust.

Edited by Goopster24

But I'm concerned about that deep ball. I saw that in two games. He and Carson Palmer are both Heisman Trophy winners. They're both in the same system. But Palmer threw the deep ball much better."

1330586[/snapback]

Ding, ding, ding!

Leinart = bust. All that "confidence" and those "intangibles" will come crashing down when he realizes he doesn't have an NFL arm.

Ding, ding, ding!

Leinart = bust. All that "confidence" and those "intangibles" will come crashing down when he realizes he doesn't have an NFL arm.

1337570[/snapback]

Ton Brady "didn't have an NFL arm" his first few years. Whether or not Leinart can get past that is a question of his work ethic.

Ding, ding, ding!

1337570[/snapback]

Arm strength is so overrated. They said the same crap about Palmer and now they say his arm strength is fine. Montana doesn't have a great arm. Brees worked it up. Give me a break. Leinart knows how to play. He will thrive in the right system.

Arm strength is so overrated. They said the same crap about Palmer and now they say his arm strength is fine. Montana doesn't have a great arm. Brees worked it up. Give me a break. Leinart knows how to play. He will thrive in the right system.

1337583[/snapback]

Palmer always had a good arm.

Montana and Brees have stronger arms than Leinart.

The only comparison I could see being made with him right now is with Chad Pennington. The pundits are saying a lot of the same things about Leinart as they did with Penn. The thing is, now I hear some people saying Pennington could have been one of the best in the league if not for the injuries. I think most would say he would have been very good.

I agree with Goop in that arm strength may be overrated, but I think that mostly holds true for rookies. There are plenty of things Leinart can do to improve or compensate for his arm strength or lack thereof. However it's the "intangibles"...the mental part of the game that are the hardest to overcome when the person is lacking. Brooks is proof of that and I'm of the opinion that Vick is following that same path.

I can't imagine arm strength being his downfall. If in fact that some how stops him, he still has everything else. How can you not like this kid?

1337711[/snapback]

The problem is how his lack of arm strength relates to everything else about him, particularly his poise and confidence.

Pennington is a fair example, but Pennington knew he didn't have a cannon and learned in college how to compensate for it -- with subpar teammates. Leinart has been anointed the Golden Boy for 3 years and stayed in school primarily because he wanted to enjoy his deified status for another year. Leinart is all about being Matt Leinart.

He just doesn't seem like the kind of guy who work through adversity at the NFL level very well. Carson Palmer didn't seem like he had the personality for it, either, but he had all the tools. Leinart has neither.

Matt Leinart"He's a left-handed passer. He struggled with the deep ball versus both UCLA and Texas. The deep ball lacked accuracy, velocity. It kind of waffled and wasn't a tight ball. But he can line the short and medium throws with accuracy.

In the second half of the Rose Bowl, he really came on. He carried his team. He puts touch and air on the deep ball.

I quit readin right here. The guy has done it for 30 years but can't make up his mind in the first two paragraphs. :doah:

Anyway, I don't see Matt L. being anything more than an average NFL QB.

The problem is how his lack of arm strength relates to everything else about him, particularly his poise and confidence.

Pennington is a fair example, but Pennington knew he didn't have a cannon and learned in college how to compensate for it -- with subpar teammates. Leinart has been anointed the Golden Boy for 3 years and stayed in school primarily because he wanted to enjoy his deified status for another year. Leinart is all about being Matt Leinart.

He just doesn't seem like the kind of guy who work through adversity at the NFL level very well. Carson Palmer didn't seem like he had the personality for it, either, but he had all the tools. Leinart has neither.

1337969[/snapback]

FYI, Randy Moss was Pennington's subpar teammate for his first two years & Nate Poole was not a bad college WR either.

I quit readin right here.  The guy has done it for 30 years but can't make up his mind in the first two paragraphs.  :doah:

Anyway, I don't see Matt L. being anything more than an average NFL QB.

1338044[/snapback]

If you can read, you will note that he (Corrick) was refering to specific games in both paragraph one and paragraph two.

It is the rest of the world sending a :doah: your way and hoping you will be a more observant reader in the future.

Ding, ding, ding!

1337570[/snapback]

He is also recovering from surgery, I would not expect his arm to be 100%.

Edited by DKF

Pennington had as much or more success in college after Moss was in the NFL -- all with subpar teammates.

1338599[/snapback]

If he had subpar teammates, then his opposition was subpar as well. Sure as heck wasn't playing against Pac 10-level defensive players...

1337969[/snapback]

None of us know Leinart but I don't think he is like that at all. You could look at it this way: Yeah, he might have wanted to enjoy "his deified status" for another year but who wouldn't? He is the man on campus and that's a lot better than being a rookie in the NFL. This guy could have ran and taken the money but he wanted to come back and win another championship and make history. This guy never complained about giving the ball to Bush or LenDale or Bush getting so much media attention. If anything, Leinart fell out of the spotlight very quickly.

This guy wasn't even suppose to be good; the guy Cassell who got drafted last year by the Patriots easily could have been the starter after Palmer left. Don't tell me he he can't work through adversity in the NFL. This guy used to be fat; he lost weight. Doctors told him he had an eye problem; that didn't stop him as he got corrective surgery and kept playing. This guy can do 360 degree dunks; he is more athletic than people think. Bush was important to their team no doubt but if you take Leinart off this team, I don't know how they would do. Booty is suppose to be unreal, but Leinart has proved his value. He is a leader, he is smart, he has poise. He has "it". All this has been said before of course, but it's so important. I truly do believe arm strength is overrated. Quarterbacks all to often are labeled before they can play because of their arm strength.

Swiss, you didn't comment on my comment about Aaron Rodgers. I'll say it again: Leinart will be ten times the quarterback Rodgers will be. Rodgers will bust IMO.

Who said it was the "only" thing?

Please bring some better information to discussions.

1339475[/snapback]

You're saying he's a bust because of lack of arm strentgh... Everyone says that he has everything else. He's a proven winner, extremley intelligent... If its not all about arm strength with you, than what is it? just looking for a little bit of clarity...

Edited by piratesownninjas