[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why The Steelers Won The Super Bowl ?

Menudo

O.k. This thread will be ripped apart, because it was written by me, and that is o.k. Tonight, I watched all 4 playoff games "NFL Game of the Week". The Steelers have been close to this championsip for years, so I started to wonder, why did they win it now ?

First, Bill Cowher is a phenomenal coach. It didn't take a Super Bowl victory to prove that to me. Shame on the Steeler fans who have ripped him through the years and some even wished for his departure. The Steelers have made the playoffs in 10 of Cowher's 14 years of coaching. They have played in 6 of the last 12 AFC Championship games. Now, they have a Super Bowl win. Cowher has been as consistent a coach as this league has seen in some time.

I'm so glad that Hines Ward won the Super Bowl MVP, because, there isn't a more deserving player in the NFL. I would not trade Hines Ward for any other WR in the NFL, not because I think he is the most talented, but, because I think he does more overall to help a team win, than any other WR in football.

Troy Polamalu in just his 3rd year, is the heart and sould of this defense. I haven't enjoyed watching a defensive player this much since Greg Lloyd. He is an absolute difference-maker. Teams honestly fear him.

Heath Miller was a big reason that this offense got it together this year. Regardless of who they bring in as the #2 receiver, Miller will be the 2nd biggest threat in the passing game. The Steelers have never used a TE in their passing game utnil this year, and the sky is the limit for this guy.

Ben Roethlisberger should have answered all of your questions this year. They were a different team without him. His numbers were bad in the Super Bowl, but, even in that game, he made some big plays with his legs, and some big throws. Don't forget that Hines dropped a TD pass in that game, and Ben got two big first downs and a TD with his legs. In the playoffs before the Super Bowl, he was simply flawless. I think his QB Rating was like 140 in the playoffs prior to the Super Bowl. I've seen all I have to see, the guy has IT. His tackle in the Colts game was amazing.

Jerome Bettis will be missed more off the field than on the field. I've never seen a player more respected by his team than this guy. There has to be a reason for this. His teammates and coaches love him. Hines Ward cried last year, when he thought Bettis wasn't going to live his dream. This year, I've read that Hines also cried quietly in his locker, because he was so happy for Bettis. Regardless of what you think of his career, he was the heart and soul of this team, and I worry what effect his leaving will have on the chemistry of this team.

10 years from now, when I look back on this season, I will, of course, remember the Parker run, and the gadget play in the Super Bowl, but, the game I will always go to first is the Colts game. The Colts game was my favorite game in all of my time watching the Steelers. The Steelers came out and hammered the Colts, who were everyone's pick for the Super Bowl. Despite that dominance, their was a Hollywood ending. It really is amazing:

The Hall of Fame Running Back, trying to get to the Super Bowl in his hometown, is given the ball to put away the game, he fumbles..... It is picked up by Nick Harper, who just 2 days earlier was stabbed in the knee by his wife, he begins to run, and is tackled on the "immaculate tackle" by Ben Roethlisberger. CRAZY !!! That is the game I will always go back to and remember this year.

I can't believe that all of the times when the Steelers were favored (1994, 1997, 2001), where I expected a title, that this year, when they were the 6th seed, they got it done. People can talk about officiating or the Steelers play in the Super Bowl all they want, but, what this team accomplished in the playoffs was historic. Winning 3 games on the road agaisnt the #3, #1, #2 AFC seeds, and the #1 NFC seed is amazing, and it will be a long time until something similar is duplicated. What a ride it was.

For those that hate to hear me brag about the Steelers, please give me some slack. I have waited a long time for what happened this season, and have been left broken-hearted by their close-calls too many times to count. I'm just extremely proud of what this team was able to accomplish this year. Proud that our fans turned the Super Bowl into a 'home game' and proud to be a Steeler fan !!!!

Edited by Menudo

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.k.  This thread will be ripped apart, because it was written by me, and that is o.k.  Tonight, I watched all 4 playoff games "NFL Game of the Week".  The Steelers have been close to this championsip for years, so I started to wonder, why did they win it now ?

First, Bill Cowher is a phenomenal coach.  It didn't take a Super Bowl victory to prove that to me.  Shame on the Steeler fans who have ripped him through the years and some even wished for his departure.  The Steelers have made the playoffs in 10 of Cowher's 14 years of coaching.  They have played in 6 of the last 12 AFC Championship games.  Now, they have a Super Bowl win.  Cowher has been as consistent a coach as this league has seen in some time.

I'm so glad that Hines Ward won the Super Bowl MVP, because, there isn't a more deserving player in the NFL.  I would not trade Hines Ward for any other WR in the NFL, not because I think he is the most talented, but, because I think he does more overall to help a team win, than any other WR in football.

Troy Polamalu in just his 3rd year, is the heart and sould of this defense.  I haven't enjoyed watching a defensive player this much since Greg Lloyd.  He is an absolute difference-maker.  Teams honestly fear him.

Heath Miller was a big reason that this offense got it together this year.  Regardless of who they bring in as the #2 receiver, Miller will be the 2nd biggest threat in the passing game.  The Steelers have never used a TE in their passing game utnil this year, and the sky is the limit for this guy.

Ben Roethlisberger should have answered all of your questions this year.  They were a different team without him.  His numbers were bad in the Super Bowl, but, even in that game, he made some big plays with his legs, and some big throws.  Don't forget that Hines dropped a TD pass in that game, and Ben got two big first downs and a TD with his legs.  In the playoffs before the Super Bowl, he was simply flawless.  I think his QB Rating was like 140 in the playoffs prior to the Super Bowl.  I've seen all I have to see, the guy has IT.  His tackle in the Colts game was amazing.

Jerome Bettis will be missed more off the field than on the field.  I've never seen a player more respected by his team than this guy.  There has to be a reason for this.  His teammates and coaches love him.  Hines Ward cried last year, when he thought Bettis wasn't going to live his dream.  This year, I've read that Hines also cried quietly in his locker, because he was so happy for Bettis.  Regardless of what you think of his career, he was the heart and soul of this team, and I worry what effect his leaving will have on the chemistry of this team.

10 years from now, when I look back on this season, I will, of course, remember the Parker run, and the gadget play in the Super Bowl, but, the game I will always go to first is the Colts game.  The Colts game was my favorite game in all of my time watching the Steelers.  The Steelers came out and hammered the Colts, who were everyone's pick for the Super Bowl.  Despite that dominance, their was a Hollywood ending.  It really is amazing:

The Hall of Fame Running Back, trying to get to the Super Bowl in his hometown, is given the ball to put away the game, he fumbles.....  It is picked up by Nick Harper, who just 2 days earlier was stabbed in the knee by his wife, he begins to run, and is tackled on the "immaculate tackle" by Ben Roethlisberger.  CRAZY !!!  That is the game I will always go back to and remember this year.

I can't believe that all of the times when the Steelers were favored (1994, 1997, 2001), where I expected a title, that this year, when they were the 6th seed, they got it done.  People can talk about officiating or the Steelers play in the Super Bowl all they want, but, what this team accomplished in the playoffs was historic.  Winning 3 games on the road agaisnt the #3, #1, #2 AFC seeds, and the #1 NFC seed is amazing, and it will be a long time until something similar is duplicated.  What a ride it was.

For those that hate to hear me brag about the Steelers, please give me some slack.  I have waited a long time for what happened this season, and have been left broken-hearted by their close-calls too many times to count.  I'm just extremely proud of what this team was able to accomplish this year.  Proud that our fans turned the Super Bowl into a 'home game' and proud to be a Steeler fan !!!!

1330606[/snapback]

Well said....and enjoy it! You never know when or if it will happen again..

The Steelers are deserving champions. A real quality organization through and through. It's nice to see them win after knocking on the door all these years. Congrats.

:D

What I'm :D about is directed at the officials who didn't give us a fair Super Bowl, not at the Steelers- a team I really respect.

The Colts game was my favorite game in all of my time watching the Steelers. 

1330606[/snapback]

I enjoyed the Colts game -- but it doesn't crack my top three all-time:

:D

#1: Super Bowl XIII, Pittsburgh beats Dallas, 35-31 ... greatest superbowl ever. I watched it at the house of a devoted Cowboys fan and was the lone Steeeeeler fan in the room.

#2: Foxboro, Dec. 14, 1997: Pittsburgh beats New England 24-21, despite never leading in the game. New England held a 21-13 lead with only a minute left in the fourth quarter (kneel on it?). Then Bledsoe throws an interception to Kevin Henry. Kordell finds Mark Bruener for a touchdown pass, and Yancey Thigpen for a tying two-point conversion. And Norm Johnson kicking the game-winning field goal in overtime. (I was at this game)

#3: Before a record-setting crowd of 64,737, the (then) defending Super Bowl champion Patriots had their NFL-record 21-game winning streak ended by the Steelers who jumped to a 21-3 lead in the first quarter and went on to post a 34-20 victory -- that had the raucous crowd waving Terrible Towels and evoking images of the glory days of the 1970s at Three Rivers Stadium. (I was at this game)

What he said.

With any luck this will be the last we have to listen to this because I would be sorely disappointed if there was one of these a week for the REST OF MY LIFE!

1330690[/snapback]

THis thread is like a breath of stale air.

all i know about the steelers is that it always seemed like they were losing great guys (free agent/injury ) and some how cowher would plug that hole and move on. sick of hearing about how incredible parcells and some of the other older coaches are.....Cowher is one hell of a leader and these steelers follow...

What he said.

With any luck this will be the last we have to listen to this because I would be sorely disappointed if there was one of these a week for the REST OF MY LIFE!

1330690[/snapback]

Agreed. This has to be one of the most over-analyzed subjects since I've been at the Huddle.

Your team won. Enjoy it. Your post hasn't added anything new to the discussion. Move on.

Sorry for apparently wasting everyone's time. All the talk was bout the officiating in the Super Bowl, and I never got a chance to write a post summing up how proud I was of my favorite team winning the Super Bowl. If I already made a post similar to this, my apologies, but, I don't think I did. Don't worry, it won't happen again.

Any team that wins the Superbowl deserves to have won it! That's the whole reason they were in the game, and were the eventual winner. The Steelers are a great organization and have a great coaching staff (Cowher). That being said, I hope I don't see them in the big game again next season. They are not the most exciting team to watch play, and without that whole "Bus stops in Detroit" storyline, this team does nothing to excite me.

The NFL is such a crap-shoot every year. With the excpetions of the Pats/49ers/Cowboys, etc etc etc. There's always some team that comes from nowhere and makes a real splash in the playoffs. ie the Carolina Panthers 2/3 years ago when they went up against NE. And than there's those perennial losers. Like the Colts, Eagles and Broncos. Of course I'm only referring to season to season playoff teams there. Cause right now the Raiders are the real perennial losers. :D

Because the Hakws were playing against the Squeelers and the Zebras. End of story, next topic Menudo so we can tell you the same.

Oh and your favorite team didnt win Athena, they were handed the title before kickoff by the officials who decided the game. The way the NFL hid behind all the drama of the officiating, it looks even fisher today.

DMD is there anything you can do about this tool wasting bandwidth with the same old endless drivel.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Menudo you are a nice guy ( at least it seems so ) ..and at times you have been attacked by people unfairly ...but enough is enough PLEASE ...SB is over ( weeks  now ) and threads have been posted Ad Nauseum at this point

time to move on

1330893[/snapback]

Agreed.

I saw this at the top of the forum and thought it was a bumped thread from weeks ago...

Give it a rest already, sheesh.

Okay, maybe the guy has posted quite a bit about the Steelers, their Super Bowl win, songs, pictures, videos, articles, and evertyhing else he can think of...he has been waiting a long time for this...i think the guy deserves a break...If you dont like them, dont read them...

I will tell you this, you think Menudo is bad, let the Niners go to and win the Super Bowl after such a long hiatus...(stop laughing :D )...but it has been over ten years for us....I will be very fired up, and I'm sure I would be posting on this message board for weeks after the game as well (as I think alot of you would be as well!!)