[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why the Chiefs won the Super Bowl

Chief Dick

Ah, I'm still basking in the glory of the Chiefs Super Bowl win. Although I was only 6 months old at the time, I still remember the game as if it were yesterday. Len Dawson throwing passes everywhere, the defense holding the Vikings to 67 rushing yards, the smell of the nachos in the crock pot, my uncle dancing naked after one too many vodka tonics.

Oh the glory, as my beloved Chiefs were CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD!!!! The excitement was in the air in Kansas City, as was the smell of BBQ. The aura was so beautiful that poets captured the moments by touching their pens to paper.

There were many photographs taken that week, film developed, and published into things called "books" many months later. Captured for eternity for generations to sing about.

And the songs...oh the songs. The song "Kansas City Here We Come" became an anthem, a rally cry to let outsiders know that we were "Big Time". that Kansas City was the place "To Be".

As I sit here, I shed a tear for those great Chiefs. Hank Stram, RIP. Otis Taylor, who should be in the Hall of Fame and now fights Parkinsons Disease. Len Dawson. Buck Buchanan. Willie Lanier. Bobby Bell. And F'n Jan Stenerud.

HAIL TO THE CHIEFS!

HAIL TO THE CHIEFS!

HAIL TO THE CHIEFS!

Minnesota pulled within 16-7 when Dave Osborn capped a 10-play, 69-yard drive by running 4 yards for a touchdown with 4:32 left in the third quarter. Then the Vikings forced the Chiefs into third-and-7 from the Kansas City 32. Momentum had shifted.

"I thought we still had a chance to win the game," Bud Grant says.

Early in the second quarter, wide receiver Frank Pitts had begun a drive from the Vikings’ 44 with a 19-yard run on a reverse. Late in the second quarter he gained 11 yards on another reverse. Now, at this critical juncture in the third quarter, he ran 7 yards on the same play, picking up a first down by inches at Kansas City’s 39.

"Frank did a masterful job running that day," Stram says.

The reverse was not a new wrinkle in the Chiefs’ playbook, but it was a play Minnesota had not seen in any game films.

"The Viking defensive ends [Carl Eller and Jim Marshall] were pinching, and that gave me running room outside," Pitts said.

A personal foul penalty against the Vikings moved the ball to Minnesota’s 46. Then came the decisive play of the game.

It was another hitch pass, this time to wide receiver Otis Taylor, who caught the ball at the 41, bounced off Vikings cornerback Earsell Mackbee, and covered the remaining distance for a touchdown that gave the Chiefs a 23-7 advantage with 1:22 left in the third quarter. "I don’t want to alibi, but earlier in the game I suffered a recurrence of a pinched nerve in my shoulder," Mackbee said. "I went numb as I drove into him. I know I didn’t hit him very good, and he got away."

The air again was gone from the Vikings’ balloon, this time figuratively. The 23-7 score held up.

http://www.superbowl.com/features/insider/chiefs

That was a BS call -once again the refs were the deciding factor...

Of course i wasn't born yet, but it was still a BS call.

Ah, I'm still basking in the glory of the Chiefs Super Bowl win. Although I was only 6 months old at the time, I still remember the game as if it were yesterday. Len Dawson throwing passes everywhere, the defense holding the Vikings to 67 rushing yards, the smell of the nachos in the crock pot, my uncle dancing naked after one too many vodka tonics.

Oh the glory, as my beloved Chiefs were CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD!!!! The excitement was in the air in Kansas City, as was the smell of BBQ. The aura was so beautiful that poets captured the moments by touching their pens to paper.

There were many photographs taken that week, film developed, and published into things called "books" many months later. Captured for eternity for generations to sing about.

And the songs...oh the songs. The song "Kansas City Here We Come" became an anthem, a rally cry to let outsiders know that we were "Big Time". that Kansas City was the place "To Be".

As I sit here, I shed a tear for those great Chiefs. Hank Stram, RIP. Otis Taylor, who should be in the Hall of Fame and now fights Parkinsons Disease. Len Dawson. Buck Buchanan. Willie Lanier. Bobby Bell. And F'n Jan Stenerud.

HAIL TO THE CHIEFS!

HAIL TO THE CHIEFS!

HAIL TO THE CHIEFS!

1331005[/snapback]

Okay, I have to admit, that is some FUNNY SHIAAAT!!!