[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Scouts Inc mock draft

Randall

This is an insider item so I am pasting it.

The end of the NFL season means the selection order for the first round is finally set, save for the Raiders and 49ers, who will execute a coin flip to break a tie for picks Nos. 6 and 7.

Much will change in the next couple of months, as players take part in the scouting combine and individual workouts. But with underclassmen officially declared as of Jan. 15, and with all the postseason all-star games wrapped up, now is an appropriate time to update the first-round mock for the 2006 NFL draft. Also included this time around are the team's top five draft needs prior to free agency.

1. Houston Texans (2-14): +Reggie Bush, RB, USC

Top five needs: DE, OG, MLB, OT, WR

2. New Orleans Saints (3-13): Matt Leinart, QB, USC

Top five needs: OLB, QB, DT, TE, RB

3. Tennessee Titans (4-12): +Vince Young, QB, Texas

Top five needs: MLB, OC, DS, OT, QB

4. New York Jets (4-12): D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia

Top five needs: RB, QB, OT, DC, OG/OC

5. Green Bay Packers (4-12): +Mario Williams, DE, N.C. State

Top five needs: OG, OLB, DS, DE, OC

6. x-Oakland Raiders (4-12): A.J. Hawk, OLB, Ohio State

Top five needs: OG, OLB, DT, DC, RB

7. x-San Francisco 49ers (4-12): Jimmy Williams, DC, Virginia Tech

Top five needs: OLB, DC, WR, FS, MLB

8. Buffalo Bills (5-11): +Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon

Top five needs: DT, DC, OC, DS, OT

9. Detroit Lions (5-11): Michael Huff, DB, Texas

Top five needs:QB, ILB, OT, DC, DE

10. Arizona Cardinals (5-11): Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt

Top five needs: SS, RB, QB, WLB, OT

11. St. Louis Rams (6-10): +Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland

Top five needs: DT, DC, WLB, OG/OC, MLB

12. Cleveland Browns (6-10): Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa

Top five needs: OLB, NT, DE, OT, OG

13. Baltimore Ravens (6-10): DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis

Top five needs: DS, ROT, ILB, DT, RB

14. Philadelphia Eagles (6-10): +Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State

Top five needs: OT, OLB, WR, DT, TE

15. Atlanta Falcons (8-8): Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State

Top five needs: DS, OT, OG, DC, DE

16. Miami Dolphins (9-7): +Winston Justice, OT, USC

Top five needs: QB, LOT, DC, OLB, WR

17. Minnesota Vikings (9-7): +LenDale White, RB, USC

Top five needs: RB, OLB, ILB, SS, OG

18. Dallas Cowboys (9-7): Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn

Top five needs: OT, FS, OG, WR, QB

19. San Diego Chargers (9-7): +Chad Jackson, WR, Florida

Top five needs: WR, OT, OG, DS, DC

20. Kansas City Chiefs (10-6): +Ashton Youboty, DC, Ohio State

Top five needs: WR, DC, DT, DE, QB

21. New England Patriots (10-6): Tye Hill, DC, Clemson

Top five needs: DC, LB, SS, RB, QB

22. Denver Broncos (10-6): Sinorice Moss, WR, Miami

Pick acquired from Washington

Top five needs: WR, OG/OC, TE, DT, DS

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (11-5): Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College

Top five needs: WR, OT, DE, DC, DT

24. Cincinnati Bengals (11-5): Claude Wroten, DT, LSU

Top five needs: DT, DS, TE, DE, DC

25. New York Giants (11-5): Demeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama

Top five needs: DC, WR, OT, OLB, FS

26. Chicago Bears (11-5): +Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia

Top five needs: DC, TE, FS, OT, SLB

27. Carolina Panthers (11-5): +Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota

Top five needs: WR, RB, TE, QB, DT

28. Jacksonville Jaguars (12-4): +Ernie Sims, OLB, Florida State

Top five needs: OLB, TE, DC, DE, OT

29. Denver Broncos (13-3): Gabe Watson, DT, Michigan

Top five needs: WR, OG/OC, TE, DT, DS

30. Indianapolis Colts (14-2): +Brian Calhoun, RB, Wisconsin

Top five needs: WR, RB, OLB, OG, MLB

31. Seattle Seahawks (13-3): +Darnell Bing, DS, USC

Top five needs: FS, WR, OG, DE, RB

32. Pittsburgh Steelers (11-5): Bobby Carpenter, OLB, Ohio State

Top five needs: WR, FS, DE, OG/OC, RB

Every draft I see has the Steelers taking an OLB in the 1st round. I don't see this happening. I know they take a DE/OLB in pretty much every draft, and they might take one late, but, I think they are quite confident in James Harrison as solid protection if Porter or Haggans go down. Depending on what happens in Free Agency, I expect either a WR, RB, Safety, or Center with their first pick.

I just don't see the Bolts taking a WR in the first round. McCardell has some miles left and in addition to Eric Parker, Vincent Jackson will be back and has great potential (if he can stay healthy). The Chargers have more pressing needs IMHO.

I just don't see the Bolts taking a WR in the first round. McCardell has some miles left and in addition to Eric Parker, Vincent Jackson will be back and has great potential (if he can stay healthy). The Chargers have more pressing needs IMHO.

1333525[/snapback]

Really? I think they need a receiver in the worst way. It usually takes three years to develop one. Now would be the time.

Second draft I've seen with LenDale slipping to 17. Maroney at 27 would break my heart, as I hope he slips to 30. I wonder why they have WR listed as the Colts top need? What is the position abbreviated as DC? :D

Edited by CaptainHook

I'm not part of the "triangle of authority"...but I'm not sure that Lendale White fits the Philly West Coast Offense that Childress is supposed to be implementing in Minny...it seems like Mewelde Moore is set up for that offense...so I'm thinking the Vikes don't actually go RB...they really need a fast line backer for the cover 2 defense...

Every draft I see has the Steelers taking an OLB in the 1st round.  I don't see this happening.  I know they take a DE/OLB in pretty much every draft, and they might take one late, but, I think they are quite confident in James Harrison as solid protection if Porter or Haggans go down.  Depending on what happens in Free Agency, I expect either a WR, RB, Safety, or Center with their first pick.

1333502[/snapback]

On Sirius NFL radio they were talking about Sinorice Moss being perfect for the Steelers at WR if he falls. Considering they will likely lose Randell-El. The top 3/4 always stays the same. Who do you think will be the first media source to show something different?

Really?  I think they need a receiver in the worst way.  It usually takes three years to develop one.  Now would be the time.

1333529[/snapback]

I'm not saying they won't draft a WR. I just don't think it will be in the first round. :D

Every draft I see has the Steelers taking an OLB in the 1st round.  I don't see this happening.  I know they take a DE/OLB in pretty much every draft, and they might take one late, but, I think they are quite confident in James Harrison as solid protection if Porter or Haggans go down.  Depending on what happens in Free Agency, I expect either a WR, RB, Safety, or Center with their first pick.

1333502[/snapback]

Every draft I have seen seems to have the Eagles taking a WR in the first round. I just can't see that happening. They need help on the D-line, O-line, and OLB.

I wonder why they have WR listed as the Colts top need? 

1333532[/snapback]

Because Scouts Inc. is a joke. At best, they focus 90% of their attention on grading college players and hardly any on actual NFL research. At worst, they're ESPN's lame excuse for a "legitimate" scouting group. In their first year, they actually plagiarized the scouting reports of another well known scouting service -- they changed the format and added a few ellipses to make it look different. I've hated them ever since.

What is the position abbreviated as DC? :D

1333532[/snapback]

DC = Defensive Cornerback, which I've never understood. It seems like they're trying to distinguish themselves by sounding more professional or something, but the actual scouting abbreviation for cornerback is "DW" (defensive wideout). :D

1333502[/snapback]

I tend to agree .. love the LB depth, but we have more pressing needs ... What FA WR might we afford to bypass wr in the draft? Givens is a bit of a blocker for a wr, thoughts on him?

I tend to agree .. love the LB depth, but we have more pressing needs ... What FA WR might we afford to bypass wr in the draft?  Givens is a bit of a blocker for a wr, thoughts on him?

1333596[/snapback]

I would love Givens if he isn't too expensive. I also wouldn't mind taking a chance, if it is cheap, on Antonio Bryant.

Because Scouts Inc. is a joke. At best, they focus 90% of their attention on grading college players and hardly any on actual NFL research.

1333556[/snapback]

I thought it would generate some discussion pre-combine.

I'm not part of the "triangle of authority"...but I'm not sure that Lendale White fits the Philly West Coast Offense that Childress is supposed to be implementing in Minny...it seems like Mewelde Moore is set up for that offense...so I'm thinking the Vikes don't actually go RB...they really need a fast line backer for the cover 2 defense...

1333538[/snapback]

And if Moore doesn't, what about the Whizz....? Even if he plays tummy stix with Ricky Williams in the off season, the kid can still play football.

Menudo, I think Bobby Carpenter would be the perfect fit for the Steelers. It's hard to pass on that kind of talent, especially considering what he could do in the Steelers' system.

1333685[/snapback]

Not denying his talent, or fit with the Steelers, but, there is no need there, and after Free Agency, there will be needs in other areas.

I figure Pittsburgh to be very concerned with getting a big DE for the 3-4.  Especially if Von Oelhoffen leaves via free agency.  Von O is a pretty important chess piece in their system.

1333961[/snapback]

They feel that Brett Keisel is ready to fill the role, though, he is a free agent as well. Even if Kimo is gone, and Keisel stays, they do need to draft or bring in a DE for depth purposes, but, I do agree that Keisel deserves a shot at the position. He has played very well when given the chance. We will certainly lose something with Kimo's experience though.