[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So, why was the Raider job so.....

PantherDave

All things being equal, there are only 32 of these things out there, and the fact that the Raiders basically had to scour the bottom to get a new HC..well that is basically the question. They have a decent RB, could have a great WR corp, need to improve on DL and OL amoung other things, but isn't it that what it's all about anyway? I think the HC (Shell) or whoever needs at least 4-5 years without any fuggin off by AD. Is it all because of AD, because you have to believe he truly loves his franchise, and hates the boat the Raiders sail right now??? So, what the hell gives???

There are only 32 of these things...

But would you take a job that was almost guaranteed to fail (look at the track record), with a boss who was a major jerk... knowing that it would stain your reputation and you may not get another chance because of it?

But would you take a job that was almost guaranteed to fail (look at the track record), with a boss who was a major jerk... knowing that it would stain your reputation and you may not get another chance because of it?

1333599[/snapback]

Yeah, I see the light your shining, but it's hard to believe in a way, but then again my father is now 67, and he will argue with you over the slightest of things and truly believes he now knows everything. The Raiders may well be in limbo until AD sells or dies.

It's only been 3 seasons since the last Super Bowl appearance, right? They've had to switch QBs and re-tool the defense. They play in the toughest division in football. Davis obviously made a couple of bad choices with Norv Turner and Kerry Collins. Maybe he fiddles too much, but it is his squad and he's won before.

1333599[/snapback]

I think this sums it up. Davis is a terrible owner.

Here's the way I see it, as a Raiders FAN. It's not that Al Davis is a bad owner. He's just a very demanding owner. No other owners out there in the league right, come from a background of coaching and being a "part" of the game and team they're involved with the way Davis has. And therefore I think he gets involved in aspects of the team where he really shouldn't. I was supremely disappointed when I heard that Whisenhunt told Davis he had no interest in taking the job. And for the most obvious reason, control or the lack of it.

This team needs to start fresh. And they have that chance with Shell, who has proven he can coach in the NFL, and under Al Davis. But he needs to come in there, and kick some butt. Get rid of some of these over-payed has-beens like Charles Woodson, Warren Sapp... Go with the young talent they have (and that they do) and mould these young guys like Washington, Jordan, Porter into real NFL stars. Not typically overpayed underachieving Oakland Raiders Superstars.

It's only been 3 seasons since the last Super Bowl appearance, right? They've had to switch QBs and re-tool the defense. They play in the toughest division in football. Davis obviously made a couple of bad choices with Norv Turner and Kerry Collins. Maybe he fiddles too much, but it is his squad and he's won before.

1333616[/snapback]

Almost agree, replace "Kerry Collins" with "Warren Sapp" and I agree 100%. 3 REALLY bad years in a row, and suddenly the Raiders success all the way up to kickoff of that Superbowl (sounds so funny even when I type it) is gone. Typical Raider hate, but to be honest it's good fun!

Al is a SOB, though, and a lot of guys don't want to go into that situation. But people want to make a martyr of Norv Turner, who is basicly a glorified botard lucky twice now to get a shot as a HC.

Agree.  Grudens success was in spite of Al davis, not because of him.  If Art can tune him out, they have a chance, because Al will spend money.....

1333686[/snapback]

Yeah, that is absolutely right. That's why Al hated Gruden, too, cuz Gruden wouldn't listen to him and it burned Al cuz they were great under him. The only other coach to have success since the 80's (Callahan's success was really just steering Grudens team) was Art Shell, who AL respects. This is why Raider fans have so much hope in him. We know full well how many fired coaches have washed up in the Bay and we would like to see it end as mcuh as fans of 31 other teams would like to see it continue!

Yeah, that is absolutely right. That's why Al hated Gruden, too, cuz Gruden wouldn't listen to him and it burned Al cuz they were great under him. The only other coach to have success since the 80's (Callahan's success was really just steering Grudens team) was Art Shell, who AL respects. This is why Raider fans have so much hope in him. We know full well how many fired coaches have washed up in the Bay and we would like to see it end as mcuh as fans of 31 other teams would like to see it continue!

1333694[/snapback]

:D

1333694[/snapback]

I've said it all along. The coaches that know how to play Al's game, and work around him, are the successfull coaches.

That being Shell, Gruden, Madden, and Tom Flores

I've said it all along. The coaches that know how to play Al's game, and work around him, are the successfull coaches.

That being Shell, Gruden, Madden, and Tom Flores

1333727[/snapback]

Excellent point-perhaps things will change along the Bay, as I have always wondered where the Raiders would be if Gruden were still there-way to come strong :D

1333694[/snapback]

Art has a model to steer for there. With Al's respect he can do what he needs to do and have Al do what he does well. I still think he has an eye for drafting talent if Art can get him to stop bringing in bad QB free agents.

All things being equal, there are only 32 of these things out there, and the fact that the Raiders basically had to scour the bottom to get a new HC..well that is basically the question. They have a decent RB, could have a great WR corp, need to improve on DL and OL amoung other things, but isn't it that what it's all about anyway? I think the HC (Shell) or whoever needs at least 4-5 years without any fuggin off by AD. Is it all because of AD, because you have to believe he truly loves his franchise, and hates the boat the Raiders sail right now??? So, what the hell gives???

1333570[/snapback]

Because noone really wants to be Al Davis's Biaaatch!! :D