[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings backfield clearing up

Savage Beatings

Heard on KFAN this morning... The Minnesota Vikings have contacted Michael Bennett's agent and told him that the Vikings will be going in a different direction this coming year, and that Bennett will not be a part of that plan.

They didn't go into details as far as what exactly that means. Presumably they will just cut him. I guess they could still try to trade him, but the language that they used sounds like an outright cut.

FWIW, I have never like Michael Bennett. He has some speed, but absolutely no moves on the field... and his speed is not enough to make up for his lack of vision and lack of ability to juke someone. And that's when he is fully healthy. This is a great decision, that has been a long time coming.

:D

Heard on KFAN this morning... The Minnesota Vikings have contacted Michael Bennett's agent and told him that the Vikings will be going in a different direction this coming year, and that Bennett will not be a part of that plan.

They didn't go into details as far as what exactly that means.  Presumably they will just cut him.  I guess they could still try to trade him, but the language that they used sounds like an outright cut.

FWIW, I have never like Michael Bennett.  He has some speed, but absolutely no moves on the field... and his speed is not enough to make up for his lack of vision and lack of ability to juke someone.  And that's when he is fully healthy.  This is a great decision, that has been a long time coming.

:D

1334089[/snapback]

Interesting. What are the Vikes going to do with regard to the RB spot?

Interesting. What are the Vikes going to do with regard to the RB spot?

1334094[/snapback]

They might persue a a big name Free Agent, but Childress has said that he can successfully coach the current RB's in Minnesota, so don't be surprised if you see a pre-season competition between Onterrio and Mewelde. If that's the case, I would expect Onterrio Smith to win the starting job, getting about 60%-70% of the carries with Mewelde Moore and Ciatric Fiason spelling him quite often. But that's just a guess on my part... I would much rather see somone like Edge dressed in purple!

I still think Mewelde Moore is capable of being the Vikings full time RB. 

1334103[/snapback]

Yeah, I definitely think Mewelde Moore has talent, but I'm not sure he is durable enough to be an every down back. He has been injured a lot in his short time in the NFL so far. Frankly, I don't think Moore has much heart... and that's why he was in Tice's doghouse the last two years. Just lack of toughness.

They might persue a a big name Free Agent, but Childress has said that he can successfully coach the current RB's in Minnesota, so don't be surprised if you see a pre-season competition between Onterrio and Mewelde.  If that's the case, I would expect Onterrio Smith to win the starting job, getting about 60%-70% of the carries with Mewelde Moore and Ciatric Fiason spelling him quite often.  But that's just a guess on my part... I would much rather see somone like Edge dressed in purple!

1334108[/snapback]

I agree. Either could be very good. Onterrio if he stays clean is good and tough enough to last the season imo.I have seen mock drafts where they draft Lendale White, but don't think they need him.

Yeah, I definitely think Mewelde Moore has talent, but I'm not sure he is durable enough to be an every down back.  He has been injured a lot in his short time in the NFL so far.  Frankly, I don't think Moore has much heart... and that's why he was in Tice's doghouse the last two years.  Just lack of toughness.

1334110[/snapback]

They should move Moore to WR.

They didn't go into details as far as what exactly that means.  Presumably they will just cut him.  I guess they could still try to trade him, but the language that they used sounds like an outright cut.

1334089[/snapback]

I am pretty sure he is an unrestricted free agent, so he can not be cut or traded.

I am pretty sure he is an unrestricted free agent, so he can not be cut or traded.

1334145[/snapback]

Thanks Zia... I thought it sounded a little strange the way that this came down, but that actually makes a lot of sense now. So basically they are just telling Bennett to find the best deal out there that he can get because the Vikings will not be offering him one.

I'm going to go against the grain here. I liked Bennett, and he proved what he could do when he rushed for 1296 yards when he stayed healthy. He could also pass block. My only knock on him was the durability issue, but if healthy, he's a better option than Moore for sure imo.

I'm going to go against the grain here. I liked Bennett, and he proved what he could do when he rushed for 1296 yards when he stayed healthy. He could also pass block. My only knock on him was the durability issue, but if healthy, he's a better option than Moore for sure imo.

1334271[/snapback]

How can you make the argument about Bennett when he can't stay on the field?

1 good year out of 5.

If, if, if ... fact is, he has a longer history of being injured than being healthy.

Moore is just as bad, he is made of glass too.

Keep Fason, sign a RB, and draft another one...get rid of the mediocrity.

How can you make the argument about Bennett when he can't stay on the field? 

1 good year out of 5.

If, if, if ... fact is, he has a longer history of being injured than being healthy.

Moore is just as bad, he is made of glass too.

Keep Fason, sign a RB, and draft another one...get rid of the mediocrity.

1334296[/snapback]

Not really. He played 13 of 13 in '01, and 16 of 16 in '02. Then the injury problems started, as did the RBBC. Moore got hurt in a limited roll, Fason hasn't proven sh*t to anyone, and Smith apparently likes hanging out with Ricky Williams. If those are your choices, I'd still stick with Bennett and hope for the best.

You want to keep Fason, fine, he's a potential short yardage back. You want to sign an RB, who do you suggest? You want to draft an RB, who do you suggest? Put some substance behind your argument, I'd be interested in hearing your plan.

I wouldn't trust Moore or Faison as an every down back over Onterrio...

Onterrio is at least as good as them running the ball and Moore MIGHT be better with catching the ball and running with it....but Smith has by far the more superior blocking skills out of the 3.....and that will be the deciding factor...

they all can run well and the OL will be back at full strength and likely better with an addition via FA....so Smith should be the starter with Moore being the 3rd down back and Faison will come in when Moore gets hurt in reflief duty...

Not really. He played 13 of 13 in '01, and 16 of 16 in '02. Then the injury problems started, as did the RBBC. Moore got hurt in a limited roll, Fason hasn't proven sh*t to anyone, and Smith apparently likes hanging out with Ricky Williams. If those are your choices, I'd still stick with Bennett and hope for the best.

You want to keep Fason, fine, he's a potential short yardage back. You want to sign an RB, who do you suggest? You want to draft an RB, who do you suggest? Put some substance behind your argument, I'd be interested in hearing your plan.

1334329[/snapback]

Keep Fason because he's young and cheap.

Moore can't stay healthy, but he can help you on Special teams when you move Koren to WR full time.

Take a look at Ahman Green in FA, and I also like the possibility of Vernand Morency being available. Travis Henry could also be had for a 2nd day pick.

Edge would be my first choice, but would he want to be there?

Lots of options, but I think the Vikes have to look at O-line in the first round.

Edited by mggoilers