[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings backfield clearing up

Savage Beatings

FWIW, I have never like Michael Bennett.  He has some speed, but absolutely no moves on the field... and his speed is not enough to make up for his lack of vision and lack of ability to juke someone.  And that's when he is fully healthy.  This is a great decision, that has been a long time coming.

:D

1334089[/snapback]

Agreed. There are football players that can run track, and track guys who try to be football players. I always thought it was obvious Bennett was a track guy trying to be a RB. Has speed, but not the football instincts the true RBs have IMO.

Yeah, I definitely think Mewelde Moore has talent, but I'm not sure he is durable enough to be an every down back.  He has been injured a lot in his short time in the NFL so far.  Frankly, I don't think Moore has much heart... and that's why he was in Tice's doghouse the last two years.  Just lack of toughness.

1334110[/snapback]

Good info here.

If they can keep him off the waccy baccy, Smith is the best Vikings RB, IMO.

1334889[/snapback]

More good info. The SOD is the best back they have. Too bad he is also arguably the biggest idiot.

I wouldn't trust Moore or Faison as an every down back over Onterrio...

Onterrio is at least as good as them running the ball and Moore MIGHT be better with catching the ball and running with it....but Smith has by far the more superior blocking skills out of the 3.....and that will be the deciding factor...

they all can run well and the OL will be back at full strength and likely better with an addition via FA....so Smith should be the starter with Moore being the 3rd down back and Faison will come in when Moore gets hurt in reflief duty...

1335695[/snapback]

^The likely scenario unless the Vikes go for a RB in FA or the draft.

Keep Fason because he's young and cheap.

Moore can't stay healthy, but he can help you on Special teams when you move Koren to WR full time.

Take a look at Ahman Green in FA, and I also like the possibility of Vernand Morency being available.  Travis Henry could also be had for a 2nd day pick.

Edge would be my first choice, but would he want to be there?

Lots of options, but I think the Vikes have to look at O-line in the first round.

1335760[/snapback]

Not sure Green is what they need. Still has some talent, but oft injured and a habitual fumbler. I think they already have a guy like that that is being shown the door. Havent seen enough of Morency to really comment on him. I always thought Henry was a good back who got jobbed pretty bad in Buffalo. I like his ability and toughness, but not sure he is what they would want for the Childress' scheme. I also question if James would want to play in MN and in another dome that is worse than the one he plays in now.

Of the options out there, I'd say Edge would be the best fit for what Childress wants to do. He's the complete package. Moore is a nice backup but not starter material IMO. Onterrio has some real skills and could be a decent starter if he'd focus on football.

1335781[/snapback]

I wouldnt mind seeing Edge in a Vikes uni at all. Good complete back with some good years left in him I think. Smith has some talent but we've already covered the lack of brainpower that keeps short-circuiting him. Interested to see what they will do at RB(and QB, too, for that matter).

Looks like O. Smith is out too.

Found this on ESPN.com

Vikes in RB market: With their intentions to not re-sign halfback Michael Bennett, the Vikings are clearly in the market for a running back. "You know we're a little bit talent poor right there right now with Ciatrick Fason and Mewelde [Moore]," Vikings coach Brad Childress said. I shouldn't say talent poor, let me take that back. We don't have that many numbers. We just have two running backs there right now."

Looks like O. Smith is out too.

Found this on ESPN.com

1341717[/snapback]

Pioneer Press said this

"Childress cannot speak to suspended running back Onterrio Smith until May and said he would not make a decision on him until they meet."

Edited by Randall

Pioneer Press said this

"Childress cannot speak to suspended running back Onterrio Smith until May and said he would not make a decision on him until they meet."

1341737[/snapback]

I like Smith as a back and think he may be the best option in Min

BUT

I don't think Childress will cut him any slack and probably views him "if he's here, we'll see". I don't think he will plan on having him there. Especially if he is anything like Reid.

Onterrio Smith is their best choice in terms of talent. The guy can run with the rock, and catch out of the backfield. He just has too many off-field problems.

Moore is a little boy playing a man's game. You can see it when he's on the field. Constantly hurt, mediocre runner at best.

Fason, well YTBD. Give 'em a REAL chance and we'll see.

Michael Bennett was OK. Needed to go though. Maybe ARI will take that shot on him.