[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings still shopping C-Pep

T-Scorp

Not if you're a Jets or Cards fan.  Or Texans.  Or 49ers.  Or Browns.  Or....... :D

1335255[/snapback]

True....but you know when your team is 'rebuilding' generally. The Vikings spent a lot of money of defense last year, and it started to come together at the end somewhat. They ended with 9 wins while their star QB was out for the year, so I wouldn't blame us for the optimism.

True about the Moss rumors last year. And thats the only thing keeping me from going off on all this crap reporting we're subjected to now.

But....you mentioned him blowing off Childress, yet Childress says different. Last week I posted something about this, where a reporter says they haven't talked or met. Childress says not true, we met 3 times over the last 2 weeks. (this is all refering to a few weeks ago) I also mentioned last week where its reported he's not been meeting or talking to the team at all, but yet somehow another story comes out that he has met and demanded more money from the team 3 times. Which is it? He has met with the team or he hasn't. :D

Problem is, Childress is going to bring the same mentality that the Eagles had when dealing with the media. We don't tell you what we're doing. So the media gets all huffy and has to have something to report, so they start reporting this bullshucks.

Show me one article or statement where Daunte has said he wants out of MN. All he said, when asked, is he wants to play where he's wanted. Boom, thats twisted into he doesn't want to play here.

Yesterday in the local papers here there were two articles written about how tight lipped Childress is compared to Tice and McCombs who both just couldn't ever shut up. The articles were critical of this new way of operating and ripped them saying if they want the public to support a new stadium, they better treat them better or they will just lose interest in the team. Yea, right! I ripped off an email to one of these Megan Foxes, saying "bull chit, you won't lose interest, that's your job, the only thing the team is going to accomplish about being tightlipped is you idiots will just make up more bullshucks to fill your pages instead of trying to be accurate"

While I'm excited about the new coaches/owners we have in place this year, I'm dreading this offseason already, just due to all the make up bullshucks rumors the media is going to throw out there every freakin' day.  If the team isn't talking to them, where the hell do they get all these freakin trade ideas from? They're must like the writers for the tv show Lost, they're making it up as they go! :D

1334326[/snapback]

IMO, the MN sports media is an embarassment. The vast majority of them are so talentless the only thing they can do is write rumors and stir up trouble by over-hyping every little thing. Some of them should be writing for soap operas not sports. I dont put much faith in them at all.

As far as Daunte, no, he hasnt come right out and said he wants out of here, but I think the signs point in that direction. Staying away from MN and the new staff while requesting a hugh raise after his worst season ever and a horrific injury, IMO, is his way of asking to be out without actually having to say it. He has presented the team with a situation most people agree is unreasonable/un-doable and by doing so he can make it look as though it was their decision to get rid of him. I could certainly be wrong, but that's my take on it.

As for Bad Brad Johnson being the starter, I agree with those who have expressed that he is not the answer if the team is looking to be a contender this season. However, if he plays intelligently, the running game comes around, line play improves vastly, and defense really steps it up, it is not out of the realm of possibility that they could be a playoff team and give some teams a run for their money next january. Certainly worse QBs than Johnson have lead teams into the playoffs and even gotten the Lombardi.

Awful lot of 'ifs', but :Bermanvoice:thats why they play the games. :D

John Clayton has said he may be cut. Perhaps that's what he wants.

"Even though it's clear Daunte Culpepper is available in a trade, don't discount the possibility of him hitting the waiver wire. Culpepper has a $6 million roster bonus coming due March 17. Several general managers around the league heard from the Vikings Wednesday, just checking out to see if there was interest in Culpepper. No price tag was set. This was just a fishing mission. But calls as short as the ones made by the Vikings are often done with players about to be cut. Culpepper's status for the 2006 season is in question coming off surgery to repair three knee ligaments. He's apparently angered ownership by asking for more money and he's not making new coach Brad Childress happy by not rehabbing the knee at the team facility.

Heard this morning on KFAN that the Vikings are also not inviting back their #3 QB Shawn Hill next year. Hmmmmmmm. :D

That leaves us with one majorly injured QB that may no longer want to be here, and one old veteran backup QB who in his prime was just OK. I'm guessing that the Vikings are looking to make a major move here.

Heard this morning on KFAN that the Vikings are also not inviting back their #3 QB Shawn Hill next year.  Hmmmmmmm.  :D

That leaves us with one majorly injured QB that may no longer want to be here, and one old veteran backup QB who in his prime was just OK.  I'm guessing that the Vikings are looking to make a major move here.

1335988[/snapback]

Will they try to trade up for Leinart or Young? :D

Are there any lingering issues with the whole love boat thing? 

Could Cpep still be arrested or suspended for that?

1336274[/snapback]

Well, it is still out there, but they are only misdemeanor charges. Culpepper maintains his innocence, but c'mon... he was busted and is trying to cover his ass.

The main thing about the love boat incident, is that it's reported that Culpepper's wife is mortified and ticked off about the whole thing, and that she is the one who ultimately does not want Culpepper returning to the Vikings. :D

She doesn't trust him up here apparently and it is rumored to be a huge issue in their marriage.

Well, it is still out there, but they are only misdemeanor charges.  Culpepper maintains his innocence, but c'mon... he was busted and is trying to cover his ass.

The main thing about the love boat incident, is that it's reported that Culpepper's wife is mortified and ticked off about the whole thing, and that she is the one who ultimately does not want Culpepper returning to the Vikings.    :D

She doesn't trust him up here apparently and it is rumored to be a huge issue in their marriage.

1336311[/snapback]

Interesting info, hadn't heard that yet. Where did you hear that?

Thats funny becuase Culpepper now paints a whole different picture including moving his bonus money to sign more free agents.

Vikings: Culpepper voices worry over rift with management

The quarterback refutes that he's been shopped around but says he is disappointed that communication has eroded.

Kevin Seifert and Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

Last update: February 24, 2006 – 12:54 AM

The Vikings' increasingly bizarre relationship with quarterback Daunte Culpepper took a new turn Thursday.

In a statement e-mailed to media outlets, Culpepper questioned whether he truly is on the trading block but confirmed his "disappointment" and "concerns" with the team's approach to him this offseason.

Culpepper also offered to move his $6 million roster bonus to clear salary cap space, but the Vikings already are projected to fall well below the cap (at least $23 million) and do not need additional room.

Several people with knowledge of the situation have said the Vikings began gauging interest in Culpepper's trade value last week, calling at least two teams -- Baltimore and Miami -- to announce his availability. But Culpepper said owner Zygi Wilf told him Tuesday that "the Vikings have not yet spoken to other teams about trading me."

It was unclear Thursday whether Culpepper was drawing a distinction between initial talks and in-depth negotiations. Given opportunities this week to deny the trade reports, neither Wilf nor coach Brad Childress did so. Wilf, in fact, acknowledged the team is in the process of determining Culpepper's future. A team spokesman said that Wilf would not comment on Culpepper's characterization of their conversation.

"It's all rumors and speculation," said Fran Foley, Vikings vice president of player personnel, who was at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. "We don't have anything to announce."

Regardless of what Wilf told Culpepper, public reports of a possible trade apparently have caused a wider gap between the team and its franchise quarterback.

Tensions already were high this offseason after Culpepper skipped a scheduled meeting with Childress; Culpepper also has tried at least three times to secure a raise of his $8 million salary in 2006, according to three people with knowledge of the situation. The Vikings denied each request.

During his conversation with Wilf, Culpepper said, "I shared my disappointment with the lack of communication and the false reports about me demanding more money coming out of Minnesota. I have requested further talks so that we can explore options for the future."

Culpepper termed his offer to renegotiate the roster bonus "a good-faith gesture toward the organization." The statement said he would "move my roster bonus around" but did not say whether he meant forward or backward. Either way -- taking the money before March 3 or deferring it beyond the 2006 league year -- would reduce his 2006 cap liability.

The additional space, Culpepper said, would be earmarked to sign free agents. "If I am not traded," he said, "I want to help Coach [brad] Childress make a serious run for the championship this year."

Rather than cap considerations, speculation has centered around whether the Vikings were timing their decision to avoid paying him the bonus at any point -- by either trading or releasing him before the due date. Culpepper said the sudden discussion of his possible exit has made him re-evaluate his mindset.

"Each year they pay you to play is a gift," he said. "I expect that if there are no changes to my present contract then I should prepare for a year-by-year commitment. When I am ready to hit the field this year, wherever it may be, I plan on being better than ever and enjoying the ride."

Talk of the combine

Meanwhile, the NFL scouting combine was buzzing Thursday with discussion about Culpepper's situation. Chicago coach Lovie Smith, for one, said he would welcome the trade.

"I think they definitely should shop him and get him out of the division," Smith said jokingly. "I don't know if that's the case or not [about him being shopped]. I just know that he's an excellent football player. He's caused us to stay up quite a bit trying to defend him."

Among the logical suitors for Culpepper is the New York Jets, who might be set to part ways with Chad Pennington. But new Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum refused to say whether the Vikings had contacted him.

Mike Nolan, who took over as coach of the San Francisco 49ers last season, understands that Childress might have his own idea of what he wants at quarterback.

"Everyone's situation around the league is different," he said. "What they envision their football team to look like in going forward. ... But certainly he's a very good quarterback, and obviously there are a lot of teams in the NFL that would love to have him.

"But if they decide to do something like that, like I said, when you have a vision for where you want your football team to go that's one of the decisions you have to make."

No trade in the works?  :D

1340629[/snapback]

"The Vikings would owe Culpepper a $6 million roster bonus by March 17, but the Star Tribune reported that Brad Johnson could replace Culpepper as the starter for next season."

I guess we'll know much more by March 17th.

During his conversation with Wilf, Culpepper said, "I shared my disappointment with the lack of communication and the false reports about me demanding more money coming out of Minnesota. I have requested further talks so that we can explore options for the future."

This is my favorite part. It seems Daunte is upset that people here think he is demanding more money. Daunte claims all he has done is request audience with team management so that they can explore their options. You don't suppose Daunte wants to talk with them about being paid less, do you? :D

More proof Culpepper is dumb as a bag of hammers IMO.

I hope the Vikings like Collins.  I haven't heard anything about him going there, but that may be what happens.

1340599[/snapback]

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. :D

This is my favorite part. It seems Daunte is upset that people here think he is demanding more money. Daunte claims all he has done is request audience with team management so that they can explore their options. You don't suppose Daunte wants to talk with them about being paid less, do you? :D

More proof Culpepper is dumb as a bag of hammers IMO.

1340863[/snapback]

Or... It's because last year when Wilf took over, he met with Daunte and his agent to talk about what they felt was a poor salary for that year, after the year he just had in 2004. The Wilfs agreed and moved up a bonus he was scheduled to get in 2007. And at that time, the Wilfs said after this season we'll take another look at your contract and see what we can do. Wilf has admitted they did. It's now next year, his agent tried to bring it up and of course Wilf said, uh, he's hurt, we looked at it, and the answer is no.

This whole contract deal has come about because of the poor 10 year contract his agent signed him to a few years ago. Some good upfront money, but after that most of it was backloaded into the last 5 years. At the time of the signing, it was pointed out by a lot of "experts" that with all that money in the last 5 years, its a sure bet the team will try to renegotiate at that time. Maybe Daunte wants to head that off himself before that time. His current contract has some ridiculous bonus's written in, for example, he gets a $900,000 bonus if he makes the Pro Bowl on Special Teams. :D

So other attempts at trying to redo his contract having failed, he volunteers to push that upcoming bonus back, in a show of good faith to work things out, and you manage to find fault with that?

I think you'd rip him no matter what he has to say. :D

Wilf plans $6 million commitment to Culpepper

The Vikings owner says he'll pay the bonus due next month and tries to downplay talk that the quarterback will leave.

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune February 26, 2006

INDIANAPOLIS - Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said Saturday he plans to pay Daunte Culpepper a $6 million roster bonus on March 17 and tried to defuse growing speculation that the organization is going to sever ties with the quarterback by trading or releasing him.

Asked if he could definitively say Culpepper was going to be on the Vikings roster in 2006, Wilf said: "That is our plan, yes. Always was." He reiterated that point in two follow-up questions.

Wilf, who arrived Saturday at the NFL combine, initially balked at discussing the Culpepper situation but soon relented as he walked through the lobby of the RCA Dome Convention Center after being one of the few owners to watch player workouts.

Culpepper, who tore three ligaments in his right knee on Oct. 30, has attempted at least three times to secure a raise of his $8 million salary in 2006, according to three sources.

The Vikings denied those requests and according to sources called at least two teams, Baltimore and Miami, to see if they had any interest in the veteran.

While Wilf tried to downplay potential trade discussions, he did not rule them out. "I don't know," he said. "I'm not involved with anything like that. ... It could be just speculation, it could be other teams asking about him, it could be a lot of things."

Culpepper disputed the trade reports in an e-mail he sent to media outlets last Tuesday, saying Wilf had told him "the Vikings have not yet spoken to other teams about trading me." But new Vikings coach Brad Childress indicated on Friday during a news conference at the combine that there had been some dialogue with other teams, saying, "We've had inquiries."

Wilf said he read Childress' comments in the paper and agreed with what his coach said but did little to clear things up when asked about the differences between Childress' and Culpepper's remarks. "I don't want to clarify anything because whatever discussions I had with Daunte were between me and Daunte," Wilf said. "If Daunte wanted to report to the media what he thought was the conversation, that's up to him. I'm not going to paraphrase or anything [what was said]. That's between he and I."

Wilf claimed he wasn't disappointed with Culpepper's decision to make part of their conversation public. "Everyone has their right to say what they want to," Wilf said. "My personal feeling is that whatever I talk to Daunte about is between myself and Daunte."

Wilf, who realizes that saying he won't pay Culpepper his roster bonus will kill the quarterback's trade value, also explained his reasoning for being vague on some issues.

"You have to understand something," he said. "Right now is the combine, everything is very sensitive, everything is very important that we keep that low[-key]. ... Being a first-year owner, I realize it's very important to keep things during the combine and draft close to the vest. It's a matter of gamesmanship in terms of how you approach the draft, how you approach free agency and how you approach your own players."

Or... It's because last year when Wilf took over, he met with Daunte and his agent to talk about what they felt was a poor salary for that year, after the year he just had in 2004. The Wilfs agreed and moved up a bonus he was scheduled to get in 2007. And at that time, the Wilfs said after this season we'll take another look at your contract and see what we can do.  Wilf has admitted they did. It's now next year, his agent tried to bring it up and of course Wilf said, uh, he's hurt, we looked at it, and the answer is no.

So, at this point, the team has followed through on what they said they'd do. They looked at the situation, DC asked for more money and Wilf said no way. Seems simple to me.

This whole contract deal has come about because of the poor 10 year contract his agent signed him to a few years ago. Some good upfront money, but after that most of it was backloaded into the last 5 years. At the time of the signing, it was pointed out by a lot of "experts" that with all that money in the last 5 years, its a sure bet the team will try to renegotiate at that time. Maybe Daunte wants to head that off himself before that time. His current contract has some ridiculous bonus's written in, for example, he gets a $900,000 bonus if he makes the Pro Bowl on Special Teams. :D

It's Daunte's responsibility to understand and agree with what he signed as a contract.

So other attempts at trying to redo his contract having failed,  he volunteers to push that upcoming bonus back, in a show of good faith to work things out, and you manage to find fault with that? 

I think you'd rip him no matter what he has to say. :D

1341151[/snapback]

I find fault with it because if he were not injured and without any leverage, he wouldnt be offering anything but the idea that he will hold out if he is not paid more.

I dont mean to pick on Daunte so much, but I am just sick to death of these athletes that sign contracts and then scream for renegotiation/more $ when they play well but not accept the other side of it when they dont. He wants to be paid based upon his very best sample of stats(2004) and not based on what his current value is and I dont like that.

It could very well be that all the greed on both sides of the equation has made me a skeptic and a pessimist. Maybe Daunte does have the best intentions and is fully committed to help the team win this year as he claims. I doubt it, but its possible. I'd be more inclined to believe him if he were in Minneapolis rehabbing and learning the new offense instead of in Florida grumbling about the millions he is being paid not being reflective of the numbers he put up one year out of his career (and may never put up again because he may never be the same player again). Just my $0.02

I dont mean to pick on Daunte so much, but I am just sick to death of these athletes that sign contracts and then scream for renegotiation/more $ when they play well but not accept the other side of it when they dont.

1343212[/snapback]

In the NFL "the other side of it" is being cut. The NFL is a business, not a charity, and it works both ways.