[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How did you become a fan of your team?

MojoMan

How did you become a fan of YOUR team?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. How did you become a fan of YOUR team?

• My local team. I've lived here since forever.
    • My boyhood local team. I've moved since but retain loyalty.
    • A non-romantic person in my life interested me in them.
    • My currrent/former SO interested me in them.
    • I change teams with every move.
    • I change teams with every wife/girlfriend.
    • Sometimes I change teams when I move; sometimes when I change SO.
    • I change teams when the Vegas odds come out at the beginning of the year and continue to change as the frontrunner changes.
    • I am ghey and have no favorite team.
    • Other

Started rooting for the Ravens when they came to town :D

Before that, was a Bengals fan. Started to follow the team when Boomer Esiason went to Cincy after U of MD. Still have a soft spot for 'em (dont tell anybody :D )

When I was a kid, I used to love watching San Diego's offense. That's back in the Fouts, Winslow, Joiner, Muncie days. Then when that team's offense seemed to all at once disappear, I saw a very similar style of offense (although not nearly as prolific passing attack) in Buffalo's big three, with a much better defense. Okay "much" might be a stretch but I'm not even sure SD put 11 guys on the field for defense. So yes I jumped ship (this was before the Superbowls).

I was too young to have any local pull for the Bengals or Browns. My Dad was a huge Buckeyes fan (as am I), but really didn't get into the pro game that much, so I was left to make my own choice.

Since I have gotten older I have retained all of my loyalties to the Bills (right or wrong). With the advent of the internet, it has become just as easy to follow a team so far away as it would be if I was a geographic homer.

Brainwashed by my ChiTown parents. I had Bears pajamas when I was 2. And the first game my dad took me too was for my 7th birthday and it just HAPPENED to be the game that Payton ran for 275 yards, breaking OJ's record and setting one htat lasted 20+ years. All I really remember was that #34 was being chased all day long.

Hooked ever since, but watched the Oilers from Houston/Austin in the late 80's and were bummed they never got over the hump.

How come you didn't select #3?

1335138[/snapback]

The word non romantic threw me for a loop..Im easily confused.

I just voted 3

Edited by whomper

My father was as big of a Steelers / Pirates / Nittany Lion fan as I am, so, I was kind of born into it. My mother is also a really big fan of those teams as well. People who know me from my town teased me saying that I was even born yellow and black, since I had black hair and was born with a condition called 'Yellow jaundice', that temporarily made my skin yellow. Locale played a role in my Dad being a Pittsburgh fan and PSU fan, as we grew up 20 Minutes East of Happy Valley, which is kind of an even mix of Pittsburgh & Philadelphia fans, because it is Central PA. The Steelers won their first Super Bowl the year I was born, and won this last one the year my father died. Obviously a coincidence, but those years will always have double-relevancy.

P.S. My buddy made me laugh the other night. We were talking about how things have gone since my Dad died. Penn State finished #3 in the Country and won the Big 10, which the odds were strongly against them doing, and then the Steelers won the Super Bowl as the 6th seed. My buddy said, now, if the Pirates win the World Series, I'll seriously wonder if your Dad is pulling some strings..... :D

Edited by Menudo

Got into sports around 72/73. Dolphins, A's, Milwaukee Bucks were winning titles back then, stayed pretty loyal ever since. My mom still gets me Dolphins stuff every Christmas. True, Dallas won back then but I was always the black sheep of the family so I went against the grain.

Menudo's non-stop Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeler chatter won me over. :D

It was either that or being soooo tired of bandwagon Cowboy fans yappin in the schoolyards of rural Vermont ... The 'Boys were just toooo much of the "in" team to root for in my town and I never followed that peer pressure. The other choices of locals offered little spark: the Giants, Redskins, and Pats were relative all softy sad sacks compared to the toughness of the Steeel Curtain and the grace of Lynn Swann and the grit of Terry Bradshaw. I was a casual fan for SB IX (at the age of 10) and by the time SB X came, I was a diehard and have never waivered ... Rod Was God -- and I loved Greg Lloyd the most ... Heck, I thought Kordell could have had a strong career if he'd continued to be "slash" and play a variety of positions ... I've still never forgiven Neil O'Donnell (my planet's Bill Buckner) for throwing those INTs in XXX .......... I love my Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelers. :D

Edited by Donutrun Jellies

Brainwashed by my ChiTown parents. I had Bears pajamas when I was 2. And the first game my dad took me too was for my 7th birthday and it just HAPPENED to be the game that Payton ran for 275 yards, breaking OJ's record and setting one htat lasted 20+ years. All I really remember was that #34 was being chased all day long.

1335189[/snapback]

Awesome memory. :D

Should be another choice: New franchise came to town (expansion or otherwise :D ) and you adopted it as your own.

That would be me. My dad won the lottery to get Colts tickets when they came to town. Went to a few games as a kid with him. Didn't really get hooked on the Colts until I was a teenager though.

Hmmm.... none of those choices seem to fit.

The closest 'local' team was actually two teams.... both equal miles away on the PA Turnpike.

My team held their training camp about 5 blocks down the street from where I was living. My team is not one of the two 'local' teams. My team was not a favorite team of any of my family, friends, or relatives. While I have rooted for other teams over the years... I have never had any other 'favorite' team since I was 4-5 years old.

:D

As a kid growing up in Peoria, Illinois, I was fascinated with the Green Bay Packers. I loved to watch Bart Starr play. Beginning in my early twenties I started following the Bears and that lasted until I moved to San Diego in 1978. The Chargers have been my team ever since.

The closest 'local' team was actually two teams.... both equal miles away on the PA Turnpike.

My team held their training camp about 5 blocks down the street from where I was living. My team is not one of the two 'local' teams. My team was not a favorite team of any of my family, friends, or relatives. While I have rooted for other teams over the years... I have never had any other 'favorite' team since I was 4-5 years old.

1335437[/snapback]

Doggone. I shoulda included "Other." :D

I will try to remember in the future.

1335437[/snapback]

So you grew up in Carlisle, Sky ?

Grew up in Cicero, My dad grew up in Chi & Cicero. In the old days there were very few televised games, but we'd go to a cuz's house in Twin lakes,WI and watch the game and the radio on Sundays was tuned to the Bear game w/ Jack Brickhouse! Yeah, my cuzs were Bear fans! :D I couldn't change my Bear Love!!! Strap me down and tease my privates w/ a blow torch.............Once a Bear Fan.......ALWAYS a Bear fan!!!! It's in the sauce, gravy,bloodstream, brain, yada,yada! It would be like changin' your DNA! Ain't gonna happen! Any EX-BEAR fans out there? :D NAH!!!! :D