[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How did you become a fan of your team?

MojoMan

How did you become a fan of YOUR team?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. How did you become a fan of YOUR team?

• My local team. I've lived here since forever.
    • My boyhood local team. I've moved since but retain loyalty.
    • A non-romantic person in my life interested me in them.
    • My currrent/former SO interested me in them.
    • I change teams with every move.
    • I change teams with every wife/girlfriend.
    • Sometimes I change teams when I move; sometimes when I change SO.
    • I change teams when the Vegas odds come out at the beginning of the year and continue to change as the frontrunner changes.
    • I am ghey and have no favorite team.
    • Other

Born and raised in Pittsburgh. Lived through the "glory years". Remember

listening to the Immaculate Reception on the radio. Believe it or not, the game

against tha Raidas was not televised locally.

Moved to Jacksonville in 1981. Was a regular attendee of the Jacksonville Bulls

games of the USFL. Following the Steelers was tough until the sports bars started

appearing.

Bought season tickets to the Jags on day 1 when they were first awarded a team.

I didn't know which division they would be in, although I knew it would be either

AFC Central or NFC West. I was hoping for the latter. It was tough going to the Jags games and maintaining loyalty to the Steelers(same division), but I did.

Fellow season ticket holders used to give me dirty looks and call me a traitor when

I'd show up in black and gold when the Jags played the Steelers.

Gave up the season tickets after 4 years. Been watching every Steelers game

since the Sunday Ticket came to be. Sometimes go to the local Steelers club here

and watch the games. It's just like being at home in Pittsburgh.

Now that the Jags and Steelers are in separate divisions, I'm much happier. I

root for both although my loyalty will always be black and gold.

And the first game my dad took me too was for my 7th birthday and it just HAPPENED to be the game that Payton ran for 275 yards, breaking OJ's record and setting one htat lasted 20+ years. All I really remember was that #34 was being chased all day long.

1335189[/snapback]

You're welcome. :D

Hmmm.... none of those choices seem to fit.

The closest 'local' team was actually two teams.... both equal miles away on the PA Turnpike.

My team held their training camp about 5 blocks down the street from where I was living. My team is not one of the two 'local' teams. My team was not a favorite team of any of my family, friends, or relatives. While I have rooted for other teams over the years... I have never had any other 'favorite' team since I was 4-5 years old.

:D

1335437[/snapback]

That's amazing given the poor teams that year. link :D

So you grew up in Carlisle, Sky ?

1335483[/snapback]

Spent from 3 to around 9 there and then came back every once in awhile. Where most of my Dad's side of the family lives.

You were either a fan of Philly/Eagles or Pitt/Steelers.... I chose Brooklyn/Redskins.... :D

I fit into the "other" category...funny story showing what an obnoxious kid I truly was.... :D

I was living in the State of Washington (born there) when I was like 4 or 5 and my Uncle and cousins came up to visit from SoCal (where I live now)....all are HUGE Cowboy fans...we were watching a Cowboy-Niners game I believe on MNF (although I'm not positive about that)...whole house was rooting for the Cowboys..I was the punk little kid who in my words at the time "rooting for the team in the red"....been hooked ever since!! :D

Edit: Good topic, to the person who started it....its interesting!!

Edited by NinersIn2006!

I fit into the "other" category...funny story showing what an obnoxious kid I truly was.... :D

I was living in the State of Washington (born there) when I was like 4 or 5 and my Uncle and cousins came up to visit from SoCal (where I live now)....all are HUGE Cowboy fans...we were watching a Cowboy-Niners game I believe on MNF (although I'm not positive about that)...whole house was rooting for the Cowboys..I was the punk little kid who in my words at the time "rooting for the team in the red"....been hooked ever since!!  :D

Edit:  Good topic, to the person who started it....its interesting!!

1335631[/snapback]

Reverse it....... :D Go Cowboys.

Actually grew up in SF bay area. The 49ers never held any attraction. The Oakland Raiders hadn't been invented yet (thank god or I would of turned out a Raider fan like my little brother).

One day I saw the Star, the Name, it just drew me in. Been a Cowboy fan ever since.....

Raider fan

My brother and father are big time Giant fans (local team). As a kid, my brother HATED the Raiders, and would tell me how they cheated, they were mean, etc... and this is mid 70's, around 76-77 mind you. So my brother is pumping that in one ear and on TV I'm seeing images of "Darth Raider": the guy is dressed like Darth Vader and has a shiled that says "defense" and a sword that says "offense".

That was it for me, I was sold and have been a life long fan since. I still dig the Giants as well, my clear #2 team. But make no mistake, my heart is black and I bleed silver.

Started out as a fan of the Packers in the mid-sixties but by the time they had beaten the Cowboys in the 66 and 67 NFL Championship games I was beginning to question the wisdom of my rooting for a team in a foreign section of the country over the young,exciting, up and coming home state team. I saw the light and never looked back.

Went to college in Buffalo when OJ was playing there. Went to a lot of games and turned into a fan of theirs. My old man was not happy as he was a die hard Steelers fan. Glad he was able to see them win a Super Bowl as he died in '76 less than a year after they won it.

I live in Chicago and have been a Bears fan all of my life. I was a huge Donovan McNabb fan in college, following everything he did. When he got drafted by the Eagles, I began to follow them too. That said though, my support goes first to the Monsters of the Midway.

Grew up just outside of Chi-town and was a Bears fan through high school when they won the Championship in 86, but then left for college close to Indy and the Colt's had just gotten to Indy a couple years before, so they were relatively new, and I started following them......

Moved to Indy after school and have been a fan ever since. :D

I chose #2 because it is kind of correct. I always tend to root for the local team wherever I am. I have moved around a lot in my life and tend to have loyalty to the community I am in at the moment.

What is interesting to me, is that I always have retained some loyalty to the teams that I have left. My longest “commitment” for my #1 team has been to the Chargers. The last time I moved from the San Diego area was to pre-Cardinal Arizona, then I was able to work my way back to the San Diego area and did not have to reprogram the new team thingy

The other teams I have loyalty to, due to growing up or living in those areas are:

Bears, Steelers, Dolphins and Patriots. Ugly Tuna almost single-handedly destroyed ANY connection I had to the Pats. If it had not been for my favorite Charger, Rodney Harrison, wearing the red-white & blue, I would have bailed them for sure! Head-to-head games shows me I am currently Chargers first, but I always keep an eye on these other teams, all of which used to be my “favorite” at one time or another. Obviously I was excited that the Steelers won the SB this year!

To be honest, I have been a Charger fan so long now (1973) that no matter where I go, I don’t think I would ever be able to make a complete conversion to a different team.

Hmmm.... none of those choices seem to fit.

The closest 'local' team was actually two teams.... both equal miles away on the PA Turnpike.

My team held their training camp about 5 blocks down the street from where I was living. My team is not one of the two 'local' teams. My team was not a favorite team of any of my family, friends, or relatives. While I have rooted for other teams over the years... I have never had any other 'favorite' team since I was 4-5 years old.

:D

1335437[/snapback]

Must be one of those wayward Redskin fans in central PA.