[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

GB staff not sold on Gado

Fatman

From Fox Sports:

Samkon Gado's defiantly spectacular emergence as an undrafted rookie the last two months may have been the feel-good story of the Packers' atrocious 4-12 season in 2005.

Yet the newly appointed coaching staff apparently isn't sold on turning the featured-back role over to Gado from the get-go next season. Offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski, one of first-year coach Mike McCarthy's more significant hires, indicated that Ahman Green stands to get the starting nod if the team re-signs the veteran free agent.

"If he's back, obviously it would probably be him. He's a Pro Bowl player," Jagodzinski said. "I'm not going to pigeon-hole anybody. That's Mike's decision on who's the guy. But I would imagine if he's back, as a Pro Bowl player, that's the kind of guy I'd want in there."

Whether or not quarterback Brett Favre returns for another season, both McCarthy and Jagodzinski have made it clear that a greater commitment will be made to the running game. Jagodzinski will rely heavily on a zone-blocking scheme that is a departure from the gap-oriented concepts run by the Packers offense in recent years under previous coach Mike Sherman.

Jagodzinski was Atlanta's offensive line coach last season, learning the intricacies of zone blocking from Alex Gibbs, who was a master innovator of the scheme for many years with Denver. Jagodzinski said the Falcons were exclusively a zone-blocking offense, which they parlayed into a league-high average of 159.1 rushing yards per game.

The Packers, in sharp contrast, ranked 30th with an average of 84.5 yards.

Only two years earlier, they set a franchise record by churning out 2,558 yards on the ground for a per-game clip of 159.9, good for third in the league. Jagodzinski saw the devastation wrought that season first-hand, his fifth and final year as tight ends coach in his first go-around with the Packers. The lasting image for Jagodzinski was Green running his way to the forefront of the storied team's annals with 1,883 yards, along with 15 touchdowns.

"I remember seeing him run down the sidelines. The guy's a stallion," Jagodzinski said.

One of the burning off-season questions for a team in transition is whether Green, who turned 29 on Feb. 16, can regain the formidable horsepower that escaped him last year in an injury-shortened season. He sustained a torn quadriceps tendon in just the sixth game and subsequently underwent surgery. Green is said to be ahead of schedule with his recovery, but there's a chance he won't be ready for the start of training camp in July. Jagodzinski, though, isn't fretting such a scenario.

"He was one of the hardest workers on the team," said Jagodzinski, harking back to his previous association with Green. "That's what's going to enable him to keep on playing."

While Green might have some drawing power as a four-time Pro Bowl player, the health concerns should play into the Packers' favor for retaining him. Green has expressed an interest in returning and probably will be open to accepting a one-year, minimum-salary contract laden with incentives.

Jagodzinski envisions a competition between Green and Gado for the lead role. Gado, a former practice-squad player out of Division I-AA Liberty, starred as the team's fifth starting back of last season before incurring a season-ending sprained knee in the third-to-last week.

Jagodzinski was on the opposite sideline when Gado made his presence felt with 103 yards and two touchdowns on the ground in the Packers' upset win at Atlanta on Nov. 13.

"He looked pretty dang good," Jagodzinski said. "This kid obviously has some ability."

Fatman,

Appreciate the find of this article.

Reading between the lines this is what I take from it;

Ahman Green stands to get the starting nod if the team re-signs the veteran free agent.

1337297[/snapback]

Obviously from the above, there is some question as to whether or not the Pack will re-sign Green, as if we didn't already know that.

Jagodzinski was on the opposite sideline when Gado made his presence felt with 103 yards and two touchdowns on the ground in the Packers' upset win at Atlanta on Nov. 13.

"He looked pretty dang good," Jagodzinski said. "This kid obviously has some ability."

1337297[/snapback]

Jagodzinski certainly had a first hand view of what Gado can do.

Jagodzinski envisions a competition between Green and Gado for the lead role.

1337297[/snapback]

Even if Green is re-signed, Jagodzinski is going to give Gado a shot.

So

#1. Jagodzinski seems impressed with Gado.

#2. I saw no mention of any other RB in conjunction with the starting role, besides Green & Gado.

#3. If Green is not re-signed, I think Jagodzinski would be happy going with Gado as the starter.

#1. Jagodzinski seems impressed with Gado.

#2. I saw no mention of any other RB in conjunction with the starting role, besides Green & Gado.

#3. If Green is not re-signed, I think Jagodzinski would be happy going with Gado as the starter.

1338092[/snapback]

Good info here. :D

So, BigScore, wanna talk more about Norv Turner? :D