[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Foster Tagged

theeohiostate

The Panthers have named running back DeShaun Foster as their transition player, which prevents him from becoming an unrestricted free agent. Carolina must tender Foster a one-year qualifying offer at the average of the top 10 salaries at his position or 120 percent of his 2005 salary, whichever is greater. He will still be able to sign an offer sheet with another team, which the Panthers would have a week to match.

Link: http://panthers.com/default.jsp

surprising move considering his injury problems, Sorry PantherDave, but no SA or Edge this season.

Edited by theeohiostate

I would have to imagine that this hurts SA's bargaining position with the Seahawks as well.

1339386[/snapback]

How?????? Alexander will command a salary commensurate well above Foster..that IMO is why Edge and SA were not an option for Panthers.....believe Stephen Davis is forked/toast....Robertson and Goings will be back-ups....who this really hurt is Ahman Green and Jamal Lewis. SA and Edge will do well...bet on it!! :D

How??????  Alexander will command a salary commensurate well above Foster..that IMO is why Edge and SA were not an option for Panthers.....believe Stephen Davis is forked/toast....Robertson and Goings will be back-ups....who this really hurt is Ahman Green and Jamal Lewis.  SA and Edge will do well...bet on it!! :D

1339428[/snapback]

Part of his posturing included the Panthers. Now that they are out of the picture, it hurts his position. If the Panthers could have worked something with him, then he would have been going to a winning situation. This has upped the likelyhood that an offer would come from a losing situation.

I am surprised with the move, but I think this is simply trying to give him a full season using the one year tender to give him time as the starter before investing in a long-term contract. I think this also gives the Panthers the cap room to work out a long-term contract with Will Witherspoon to hang onto him.

It also gives me the idea they will take a long look at Maroney, White or a good RB that may drop to us at #27 to give the team options. I think the Panthers are trying to stay young at RB and decided to not be players in the Edge and SAlex sweepstakes.

per profootballtalk.com

Foster isn't automatically "guaranteed" $5.13 million for 2006. For transition players, the one-year tender only becomes guaranteed at the start of the regular season; until then, the team can remove the transition tag at any time, and instantly free up the cap room. Thus, if the Panthers are at some point close to striking a deal with Alexander, all they need to do is revoke the tag as to Foster, and they'll have an extra $5.13 million in 2006 cap dollars to work with.

Under the franchise and transition rules, the money only becomes guaranteed for franchise players who sign the tender. Also, and as the Chargers recently realized, a transition tender becomes guaranteed if (and only if) the transition tag is used on a guy who accepted the franchise tender in the prior season.

Well, I expected the one year deal, I didn't think it would have this tag with it, and as MG said it's essentially just a tag and can be lifted, so perhaps it's just the Panthers showing a little love to DF. It also locks a somewhat key player in for awhile if Witherspoon does in fact, not return via FA, as that is the only other reason I can think of :D .

Edited by PantherDave

I can only say this, if they do plan on gutting it out one more year with the same coral, then we will know if/when SD is cut/released. Perhaps giving Shelton one more year to improve, and seeing just how long DF can go from week 1. Fox said he would have not IR'ed SD if he had to do it over again-so, here is what may occur. They roll the dice on Foster staying healthy( a hugh if, as history proves so far), and SD becomes the G-Line RB, then the following year plug in a hopefully developed young Nigerian Nightmare in Shelton. As, PSULions has very knowingly pointed out, the Panthers are very cautious with the cap, and could very well likely not bat an eye at SA or Edge. If they plug DF in week 1 -I'll watch every game and every play will be..is he getting up, is he limping,is he clutching anything :D , but if he does stay healthy, and I say "IF"-the #'s will be very nice indeed. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you perhaps the #1 Dark Horse of FF 2006, Mr. Desahun Foster......... This has shown me that it may be a rollercoaster offseason for this homer, as I've got my first :D of the OS with the "transistion" tag. :D