[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions get big reward

theeohiostate

Link.

1341154[/snapback]

This week, maybe the most optimum week, the Lions were granted a preposterous $11.75 million salary-cap credit due to a playtime incentive that defensive tackle Shaun Rogers failed to reach last season.

An $11M incentive?

Apparently we'll need part of the extra cash to pay Jeff Backus as we franchised him.  :D  Going to be paid top 5 money for a tackle that had an average year at best.  :D

1342450[/snapback]

Dead on Puddy! :D:D:D

This was structured in Rogers' contract. The bonus was triggered by him playing 95% of special teams snaps, which there was no way in hell he was going to hit. But under the CBA, it's a "likely to be earned incentive", which allows them to count it as part of the salary that they prorated the signing bonus against . . . er . . .

I forget all the details, but this was a little bit of cap wizardry Tom Lewand performed when they extended Rogers last year. Profootballtalk.com broke in down in minute detail IIRC.

Peace

policy

I don't see them going after Brees, but I could very likely be wrong. Why would Brees come to team where he would have to "compete" for the starting job? I think Miami makes perfect sense for Brees.

I'm a Joey-apologist. I think he can be successful in the Martz system. I don't think anyone could have been successful in the Mornwheg and Mooch systems... and that was abundantly apparent: QBs, RBs, WRs, TEs, and OL all played subpar. I think the Lions need to spend the "extra" loot on offensive line and line backers.

Restore the Roar!