[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Foxsports says Young could fall to Raiders

kpholmes

I guess you could say he passed on Rivers and Roethlisberger in 2004 by taking Robert Gallery at #2.

Passed on Pennington (who went one pick later) in 2000.  The Raiders took Janikowski.  :D

1343232[/snapback]

It does sound funny, but which one of the two has been in a Superbowl so far? Pennington has accomplished zero to date... sides back-to-back season ending shoulder injuries, he's got that goin for him. :D

Gallery was a great pick (he's not close to being a great player, though). And Rivers hasn't touched the field yet (could be a HUGH bust), and Roethliisburger accomplished what no QB has ever done, really.

31 teams passed on Tom Brady, though. I mean, had the Colts not passed on him they might have made a Superbowl y now... or even WON one. :D

That said, I really don't see the Raiders taking Young EVEN IF he comes to them.

Gallery was a great pick (he's not close to being a great player, though).

1343351[/snapback]

How can you feel that it was a "great" pick if he's not a "great" player? Isn't that what you want with the second overall pick, a "great" player?

How can you feel that it was a "great" pick if he's not a "great" player?  Isn't that what you want with the second overall pick, a "great" player?

1343510[/snapback]

Sure, it's what I want. Outside of Ben Roethlesburger, few 1st rounders are home runs out the gate. He has potential to be great, he just isn't great yet. It was a great pick though, it was what they needed and he isn't a bust (so far!). It's not like the lions drafting a #1 WR three years in a row.

Would you rather have Larry Fitzgerald? Bob Sanders? DeAngelo Hall? Those three have made the Pro Bowl already. Sanders was on the All Pro team. Then of course there are guys like Roethlisberger, Vilma, Tommie Harris, Sean Taylor, Dunta Robinson, and Roy Williams. I'd rather have those guys than Gallery at this point. You're right, he's not a bust, but he's not what I'd want from the #2 pick either . . . so far!

Edited by CaptainHook

God, I hope the Raiders pass on Young if he drops...they need to shore up that defense.

If Shell is picking, they will likely go defense with their first pick, either DE-Mario Williams or LB-AJ Hawk. If Al Davis is picking, it will likely be an offensive player (unfortunately).

Gallery and Grove were definitely Norv Turner picks back in 2004. Hopefully Al backs off a bit again and let's Shell build a team around what he favors - strength on defense, offensive line and the running game in general.

If Davis picks, he won't go offense.

Any other year I would say yes, but first of all there are no gaping holes on offense like in years past (with the exception of maybe TE and QB) and second, Al Davis never picks a QB in the first round. He prefers guys with experience.

A.J Hawk or Demario Williams is hopefully who the Raiders will go with.

I did, in my original post however, forget to mention Vince Young is my Madden Raiders franchise QB and is doing quite well... :D heheheh.

Well, Raiders personel did meet with Young, so you never know. Rumour has it, Al wants a big play TE and wanted to trade down to pick Winslow when he came out, so Vernon Davis may be on the Raider's radar as well.

One thing about Al, he is very unpredictable....so all we can do is guess what is going to happen in April's draft (and next months free agency)

It will be hard to top last year's acquisition of Moss and Jordan....but Ray Lewis rumours continue to circulate.

You know, Young can throw the ball a mile so with Randy Moss stretching the field, it would give Young plenty of room to run. That would be an interesting place for him to play.

Yeah, so softly that there will be 3 NFL DBs near the ball by the time it falls in Moss's vicinity.

Young will fall to the Raiders -- and beyond.

1343783[/snapback]

Do you have a clue. Vince has a cannon when he throws the deep ball. Hell he throws its 30 yard with just a flick of the wrist. I love it when people who have watched him once, maybe twice say he throws soft. Dudes arm puts Vicks to shame. And this is a moot point, Tenn takes Vince unless New Orleans takes Cutler, then my bet is if they go Leinart over Vince, then NY takes Vince.

As a Cowboy fan, id love for JJ to trade up, even if it meant giving up a 1,2 this yr and a 1 next yr to get Vince Young. This guy is absolutely going to be a monster in the NFL. His will is something Ive seen by only a few players in the last decade, and he has an uncanny ability to motivate other players to play above themselves when he is on the field.

BTW, for the record did I mention I hate TEXAS, OUR TEXAS, OH HAIL THE MIGHTY STATE, TEXAS OUR TEXAS, SO WONDERFUL AND GREAT..., and both of Vince's losses in college were to my Sooners. :D

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Do you have a clue.  Vince has a cannon when he throws the deep ball.  Hell he throws its 30 yard with just a flick of the wrist.  I love it when people who have watched him once, maybe twice say he throws soft. 

1343797[/snapback]

Well, I was exaggerating a bit, but so are you. He doesn't have a cannon. His arm isn't exactly "weak", but it's not elite by any means.

When he gets to the NFL, his deep ball will be average at best.

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

Well, I was exaggerating a bit, but so are you. He doesn't have a cannon. His arm isn't exactly "weak", but it's not elite by any means.

When he gets to the NFL, I doubt his deep ball will be average at best.

1343813[/snapback]

Swiss.....I hold your opinions re. the draft higher than most people's around here...you really seem to do your homework...but I think you are off on this one.

As for keeping to the thread title here....I didn't read the article, but I think the Raiders would be a great fit for Young. With Moss/Gabriel/Curry/Porter taking defenses deep, Young would have a ton of room to run....and because I believe he can throw a great deep ball, if he chooses to toss it rather than run - you have Culpepper to Moss all over again.

I think the Raiders would be a great fit for Young.  With Moss/Gabriel/Curry/Porter taking defenses deep, Young would have a ton of room to run....and because I believe he can throw a great deep ball, if he chooses to toss it rather than run - you have Culpepper to Moss all over again.

1343849[/snapback]

Like I said, he does quite well in my Madden Franchise... :D

So, Saints will probably take Leinhart or Cutler. Tenesse will then take Cutler/Leinhart or Young, do you think NYJ would try to go with Young? I've heard they like Cutler a lot, but thats if Cutler falls to them. If he dosn't I would assume they go with D'Brickishaw. Meaning the teams left are Green Bay and San Fran, who took QBs last year.

So, granted Jets stick with D'Brikishaw, at least one QB will fall to the Raiders.

I am in complete agreement we need help on D. But I think it has to come in the form of DL not LB! They've got some decent young talent at LB, in Morrison, Clark. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind seeing AJ Hawk, but if Vince Young fell to us, how do we pass? Kerry Collins is OK, but not OK for the future. And I don't know about Walter. Vince Young has established himself, so I'd like it if Al took the chance on a young QB like this.

But all that said and aside, I'm thinking it's going to be AJ Hawk/Williams.

I am in complete agreement we need help on D. But I think it has to come in the form of DL not LB! They've got some decent young talent at LB, in Morrison, Clark. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind seeing AJ Hawk, but if Vince Young fell to us, how do we pass? Kerry Collins is OK, but not OK for the future. And I don't know about Walter. Vince Young has established himself, so I'd like it if Al took the chance on a young QB like this.

But all that said and aside, I'm thinking it's going to be AJ Hawk/Williams.

1344268[/snapback]

I would be amazed if Williams made it to pick 7.if he does there is no doubt in my mind that that is who the Raiders take.