[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Heads Up Huddlers.

PantherDave

and noone would be sitting in a stadium watching sports if a group of owners werent willing to form a league, pay primadonna players and put up with bitching fans.

First off what the hell is wrong with people, if you owned a business wouldnt your bottom line be to make money? Everyone wants to pay these monkey athletes whatever they ask for so they can act like idiots and shoot their mouths off.

Who needs idiots like T. Owens, or an accused murder like Ray Lewis, or an bad person like Culpepper who cries racism because he got caught in the luv boat scandle, Denny Mclaine, Pete Rose and the list goes on and on.

It would be a breath of fresh air just to watch all the teams fold and put these malcontent multimillion dollar idiots on unemployment and watch them try and make a real living like the fans have to. Most of the animals would be in jail for robery, rape or murder.

Majority of Athletes = Trash

Want an autograph...sure kid thats $10.00

Sign a contract = I want more or its discrimination/racism

TV Camera = Act like an animal

Performance Clause = Steroids

You want more......I can go on and on

1350222[/snapback]

Sorry WC-but why the hell do you watch then, or have a passing interest in the NFL or FF???

Edited by PantherDave

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry WC-but why the hell do you watch then, or have a passing interest in the NFL or FF???

1350224[/snapback]

Is that ur only answer?

You think that athletes are bigger than the game?

I watch sports because I played them as a kid, and in high school.

I watch them for the love of the games themselves.

Yes - I can appreciate an athletes talent, but none are bigger than the game itself.

Not even Jordon, or Woods, or Elway

And no matter what you or anyone think the games will always be there. They are in your local neighborhoods parks and schools and colleges. Athletes come and go but the games are there always.

You want pro sports - so do I. But only if the athletes can perform as flawlesly off the field as they do on the field. The money they make demands a higher standard of accountability.

Is that ur only answer?

You think that athletes are bigger than the game?

I watch sports because I played them as a kid, and in high school.

I watch them for the love of the games themselves.

Yes - I can appreciate an athletes talent, but none are bigger than the game itself.

Not even Jordon, or Woods, or Elway

And no matter what you or anyone think the games will always be there. They are in your local neighborhoods parks and schools and colleges. Athletes come and go but the games are there always.

You want pro sports - so do I. But only if the athletes can perform as flawlesly off the field as they do on the field. The money they make demands a higher standard of accountability.

1350236[/snapback]

Hey, was'nt meant as an attack, just an honest ?, since you seem to be disenchanted. Never said the players were bigger than the game, but to quote Coach Fox-"It is what it is", and you just seem to be..like I said, disenchanted. Granted, the way things are at the present moment-easy to understand.

I want the cap gone myself. 

Personally I agree with Chris Mortenson on ESPN radio this morning. the NFL right now is a bad product. Sure its the best sport around, and most popular, but no where close to the product it used to be. Revenue sharing is a good thing and will keep all teams competetive, but scouting, drafting and player development will have a bigger impact than a team like the Spankees collecting every possible assasin in baseball. The cap is to blame for the poor play, as teams have to let vets go and put youth out there, well before most are ready. Think about it, teams could pay less to keep their own players because they couldnt move for 6 yrs, instead of 4. Thus the overall payroll would be much less to begin with. Then owners could decide what they wanted to pay from their revenue for players. Right now there are teams 15-24 million undfer the cap, and those owners are making millions more dollars because they choose not to spend the money to field the best team possible. And then there are teams like the Raiders, and Jets who completely suck who are 20 mil over the cap and they spend unwisely. So teams like the Birds for the last decade, and the pats, who use vet players more than youth benefit because of their drafting, philosphy and player development, while teams with tight owners who wont pay, or unstable franchises who dont have a clue continue to suck.

Its my opinion teams would be better off without a cap, with true revenue sharing, unlike Major League Baseball. Payroll would be public, and fans could see if their owners were more interested in stashing their pockets or fielding a competitive team. Right now youth is so overpaid, and vets are being run out of the league before their time because of the cap, which leads to an inferior product on the field.

And Im tired of hearing what players want. Players are well compensated, and NFL owners like the owner of any company put his money up to buy the franchise and deserves a much bigger piece of the pie. This is about Greed, and the players need to realize they couldnt get a job making 6 figures doing anything else, let alone 7 or 8 figures, so they should shut up and play.

1348804[/snapback]

:D

Unfortunately, I'm not as up to speed on this issue as I should be. So I can't really say whose side I'm on.

I'll say this, it's a bad idea to look at what your boss makes to try and determine what you should make. I've had really good employees leave because they didn't think they were getting a big enough piece of the pie only to find out after they left that for what they do, they were being paid above their market value.

When sky says Upshaw is wanting 60% of the revenue for the players I wonder what that means. Are we talking 60% of the gate? 60% of the gate and the TV rights? Are the players after 60% of the gate, TV deal and spamshirts and hats too? I wonder things when I'm watching Highland Park play Ennis with the lower bowl of Texas Stadium packed. What part, if any of that goes to Jerry Jones?

Of course you have to have the players but you also have to have owners to negotiate with municipalities for stadiums, to get networks to air your games, to have beer delivered to the stadium, to run the business. They should be compensated for their efforts and the hugh risk that goes along with spending over $100,000,000.00 :oldrolleyes:

Both sides need each other. Who needs who more? I have no idea but I'm afraid that these owners sometimes overestimate the need for them when compared to the players.

Sure the owners are putting a boat-load of cash into their decision to purchase a team but again, I really wonder how risky an investment that is, particularily with revnue sharing and a salary cap for f*ck's sake. Sure there's a cap that in theroy won't let the richest owners buy a championship but it also serves the purpose of limiting players' salaries.

If you are old enough to remember the last strike (1986 or 7?), it's not the same when the best aren't on the field. We know $hitty line play when we see it. We can all see the deep pass and blitz coming. We are so familiar with the intracicies of the game we debate the validity of going for 1 extra point after a TD or two extra points. We are at fantasy football message boards on Friday nights in March.

IMHO, the thing that has the biggest thing of letting this crap spiral out of control into a work stoppage of some sort, is us, the fans. Unfortunately, none of "major" spots has every truly paid for their labor woes that deprive us of their games. We always come back and both sides roll the dice in these situations until their bank accounts force them to work it all out. Hopefully they realize that while most of us will come back, it's never the same.

I grew up watching football with my Dad, Uncles, cousins and grandfather. Some of us are conservatines, some liberal, some indifferent. There's a doctor, a few accountants, a few 30 year ols that still live with their parents. We had always had football in common. The NFL lost my father, uncles and grandfather (RIP) with the last strike. It sucks that there isn't even a point of talking football with my old man anymore. If the NFL wants my kid (maybe kids) to grow up with football being the sport everyone gathers around on weekends and holidays, they need to work this out. They should understand they'll survive a strike or lock-out but that it won't ever be the same again. As much as I love the game, it hasn't been the same for me for almost 20 years.

Well, here's to hoping we see a deal get done today, so a normal OS can ensue. The parties on both sides can't be blind to the pedestal the NFL occupies-all by itself. The NFL has alwyas been loved, but over the last 20 years it has established it's elite status amoung the other pro sports, and for a deal to not get done, it will eventually turn the NFL into just another fish in the barrel, just like the others.

Wellington Mara must be rolling over in his grave. 

I was thinking the same thing :D

Unfortunately,it seems there is little respect for the game itself from those at the table.

I used to be a big hockey fan, since the work stoppage I just don't have the interest any longer. I fear the same lack of fan interest could face the NFL. :D

Especially after this years playoffs...... :D

Now, we all know how it feels to not have our voice not heard-to bad we can't send a BIG message as the NFL Fan Nation and stop buying tickets, but that will happen anyway, because an uncapped NFL means tickets we can no longer afford-this is very bad..this is bottom line apocolyptic.

1347839[/snapback]

OK, Leah Stienberg is a member of the huddle, as he stole my line about this situation being "apocolyptic", if anybody was listening/watching Mike and Mike this morning. Still hope this is all worked out very soon-Peace PD.

Well, here's to hoping we see a deal get done today, so a normal OS can ensue. The parties on both sides can't be blind to the pedestal the NFL occupies-all by itself. The NFL has alwyas been loved, but over the last 20 years it has established it's elite status amoung the other pro sports, and for a deal to not get done, it will eventually turn the NFL into just another fish in the barrel, just like the others.

1352467[/snapback]

Yes but we lost Wellingtom Mara and got Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder.

DMD-Ya got any tidbits that will make us optimistic????

1347990[/snapback]

At this point no. I am very leery that anything will get done because it would surprise me that an agreement written by the NFLPA could be amenable to all the owners when they are divided themselves.

That all said, there is always something going on in the background and there is so much grandstanding and posturing with this that the info given out to the media is almost worthless. I mean both sides have said there is no chance for anything to happen only to apparently change their minds 20 minutes later.

Worst case - nothing happens in Dallas from a divided ownership and an NFLPA-written contract. Everything happens this year as currently planned and then they play this little game on for the next 12 months. I do believe that the NFL will come around before the uncapped 2007 regardless what Upshaw says.

Best case - owners get it together and agree and at least the players are happy.

Most likely case - the owners will come closer together but not quite close enough. The language in the NFLPA written agreement will need to be negotiated more and either they get another extension OR they agree to some interim terms while the final language is hammered out. No way an agreement written solely by one side will be acceptable to both parties IMO. NFL plays this year with either the current rules or some interim altered rules and within a month or so they hammer out something all can live with.

I just do not think it will come to apocalypse, but I cannot see everyone being happy on WED.