[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matt Birk:

CaP'N GRuNGe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.startribune.com/101/story/282098.html

Birk pins much of the blame on Upshaw for labor standoff

The Vikings center has not played in two years, but he sure delivered a Pro Bowl-sized verbal pancake on the executive director of the NFL Players' Association when no CBA deal was reached on Thursday.

Mark Craig

Vikings center Matt Birk isn't a big fan of the players union in general and of Gene Upshaw, its executive director, in particular.

"Don't put this in the paper ... no, wait, go ahead and put it in," Birk said. "Gene Upshaw is a piece of" well, you know.

Birk spoke as the union and the NFL were about to go Tony Soprano on the goose that lays the kind of golden eggs other sports can only dream about.

Fortunately, both sides blinked. Seven hours before what would have been the beginning of the end of the NFL's salary cap, it was mutually agreed that three more days are required for someone -- anyone! -- to come to his senses and extend the collective bargaining agreement. So free agency will start on Monday, not today.

"It's a joke, it really is," Birk said. "Everyone is making money. A lot of money. You think anyone wants to hear about the money problems of the NFL owners or players? It's bad pub for the league. It's bad for all of us."

Birk was the Vikings' union rep until he couldn't stomach Upshaw's "propaganda and poor leadership" any longer. He has fought Upshaw on other fronts over the years, speaking out against the inordinate distribution of money to unproven rookies and Upshaw's refusal to fight for guaranteed contracts that players in other sports enjoy.

"Someone asked him about me when I was going through my deal last summer trying to get my contract guaranteed," Birk said. "He said he played with a lot of great centers in his time and none of them made $4 million. That's our union rep? C'mon."

Birk doesn't place all of the blame for the CBA mess at Upshaw's feet. But he does blame him for not being forthright while explaining what it would mean to the players not to have a salary cap in 2007.

"When you go to those CBA meetings, you always feel like you're being sold something instead of being given the straight facts," Birk said. "Through all the meetings leading up to this, it was always: 'The owners don't want an uncapped year. We'll get a deal, and if we don't, so what? There will be an uncapped year and there will be crazy money out there.'

"The reality is that's not the case. And you're seeing that it's not the leverage we were told it would be."

While the lack of a salary cap would encourage the richer teams to overspend on certain players, there also would be rules in place that would be unfavorable to players.

Players would become unrestricted free agents after six seasons, not four. Raises would be capped at 30 percent above the previous season. And there would be no minimum salary cap, whereas now it's 54 percent of the defined gross revenue.

"And we'll lose some of our 401(k) and annuities, and some benefits, too," Birk said. "That's a huge deal to the younger guys making the minimum who might not have 10-year careers. Those are guys the union needs to look out for.

"Instead, you go there and it's like some kind of religious revival. You don't feel you're getting the true message. And they're always talking too fast."

Birk wishes the actual players had more power and say in how the union operates.

"Too many guys in the league just accept whatever Gene says," Birk said. "I don't know why no one has called this guy out."

It's hard to believe we're discussing labor unrest when the NFL generates $5.2 billion a year and signed the largest TV deal in sports history. The league gets $3.7 BILLION in TV money this year alone.

"Gene thinks we're making all this money because of Gene Upshaw," Birk said. "No, we're making all of this money because of TV. This sport is huge, and what's going on right now is hurting all of us."

Interesting read.

But Birk is so, so negative and hatefull towards Upshaw and the Union... its hard to tell at what points is he overexagerating a bit?

Either way though, Birk definetly has realized what most players missed. He pegged it.

Edited by kpholmes

Interesting.

There is some conjecture that Upshaw is feeling at least minor pressure from below with individual players voicing concerns. Players, in my opinion, were probably sold a bill of goods that was not totally accurate and hopefully if that is the case, they can realize the ramifications before their careers and salaries do not meet expectations.

There is some conjecture that Upshaw is feeling at least minor pressure from below with individual players voicing concerns. Players, in my opinion, were probably sold a bill of goods that was not totally accurate and hopefully if that is the case, they can realize the ramifications before their careers and salaries do not meet expectations.

1350404[/snapback]

I'm sure Upshaw is feeling pressure on this from players, but considering the majority of the union's membership will be out of the NFL by the scheduled end of the present CBA, does it matter?

I'm sure Upshaw is feeling pressure on this from players, but considering the majority of the union's membership will be out of the NFL by the scheduled end of the present CBA, does it matter?

1350406[/snapback]

That's the thing though. I think the next two years will be no where nearly as advantageous to the players as they might have thought. They stand to lose a lot of money and have shortened careers by some because of it. Birk was right - just because there would be no cap in 2007 does not mean that the average player will see a dime more and they could actually see less because the minimum goes down. The players need to see that their immediate best interests are also served by agreeing to something now.

With the potential of a lockout in 2008, why would any team committ big bucks in 2007 for anything other than a one year contract?

"When you go to those CBA meetings, you always feel like you're being sold something instead of being given the straight facts," Birk said. "Through all the meetings leading up to this, it was always: 'The owners don't want an uncapped year. We'll get a deal, and if we don't, so what? There will be an uncapped year and there will be crazy money out there.'

Bravo Matt. :D

Get em Birk.  Too bad most of the other players aren't smart enough to get it.

1350479[/snapback]

When their agents tell them 6 years instead of 4 to become free agents they are starting to get it.

It's always been about Upshaw to Upshaw... not about the players. I am sure everyone remembers that he was heavily involved in the 1987 strike. The strike that didn't work out too well for the players he was supposedly representing.

At the moment he has a stranglehold on the NFLPA and how things are done. However, one would think that the players would rethink Upshaw after this is over. But then most of them probably scored 7 (with help) on the Wonderlic so who knows.

It's always been about Upshaw to Upshaw... not about the players. I am sure everyone remembers that he was heavily involved in the 1987 strike. The strike that didn't work out too well for the players he was supposedly representing.

At the moment he has a stranglehold on the NFLPA and how things are done. However, one would think that the players would rethink Upshaw after this is over. But then most of them probably scored 7 (with help) on the Wonderlic so who knows.

1350571[/snapback]

How did Upshaw obtain his post? I mean, the guy aint exactly a wordsmith...

1350576[/snapback]

"He was an active member of the bargaining committee for the National Football League Players' Association (NFLPA) throughout the late 1970s and early 1980s. He led the NFLPA in its unsuccessful strike in 1987 and through years of anti-trust litigation against the league, including a brief period in which the NFLPA became a professional association rather than a union, that ended with the union's acceptance of a salary cap in return for free agency and an enhanced share of league revenues for the union's members."

Upshaw, right from the git go, was involved in fights against the NFL and it's owners. After he retired he did what any person does that wants power in a union... he lobbied hard and lied to the people he wanted to represent. No different than any other union leader.

This is an article from 2003:

"Maui, Hawaii - Today the NFL Players Association concluded its four-day board of player representatives meeting by re-electing Gene Upshaw to his seventh consecutive term as executive director. Eighty-four Board of Player Representatives and Executive Committee members representing all 32 teams participated in the four-day meeting. Players discussed issues such as additional post-career medical insurance, player safety and health as well as improving field conditions for all NFL stadiums, training camp and practice facilities.

Gene Upshaw has been the executive director of the NFL Players Association since 1983. Prior to his first election as Executive Director, Upshaw served NFL players as NFLPA President, Player Representative and Executive Committee member. During his tenure, the NFLPA has achieved financial stability and players have made great strides including: securing free agency and more than 65% of gross revenues in salary and benefits, developing effective agent regulations and registration of financial advisors, and bargaining for the best benefits in professional sports.

Upshaw has also negotiated an extension of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement four times since 1993, achieving significant improvements for NFL players each time.

"The selfless and hardworking player leadership of the union has made my twenty years at the NFLPA productive and rewarding. Together we have achieved real progress for NFL players, past present and future," said Gene Upshaw, executive director."

"...he lobbied hard and lied to the people he wanted to represent. No different than any other union leader.

1350584[/snapback]

Sorry but I don't agree with this part. While there are many like him in unions there are people who represent their members too.

Sorry but I don't agree with this part. While there are many like him in unions there are people who represent their members too.

1350636[/snapback]

I agree.... probably unfair to some out there that really are in it to help the people they represent. I apologize to those very few for placing them in the same mold as Upshaw.

1350576[/snapback]

Hello -- Union leadership is rarely the best and brightest ... typically, they see being parasites off the efforts of others and covering for their inabilities by screaming about oppression by the man much more attractive professionally than actually staying on the job and performing well. Soooo, folks sucked into union membership are typically left with not necessarily the best and brightest not working for the common good. Not pretty. :D

Birk's figured it out. :D