[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New CBA Terms agreed upon

Big Score 1

Mort of ESPN reports the a new CBA has been agreed upon in principle by the NFL & the NFLPA. 59.5% of the GR for the players and some cash over cap limitations.

Of course it still must be ratified by the owners. A bloc of 9 owners voting nay, could again de-rail the whole thing.

EDIT: For spelling

Edited by Big Score 1

This whole thing is playing out like you had a family member in a horrible accident and they keep going back into surgery to sustain life while you never know when the doctor is going to come out to tell you the patient expired.

This whole thing is playing out like you had a family member in a horrible accident and they keep going back into surgery to sustain life while you never know when the doctor is going to come out to tell you the patient expired.

1353404[/snapback]

Or like the 2000 election and we all know how well that turned out. :doah:

1353404[/snapback]

:D One has got to believe that this will happen. So bizarre compared to other sport negotiations.

Well this looks like the Cardinals and Vikings will get more cap space to out spend on the FA. Who can out bid them at this point. I am happy though. Because when it all boils down the NFL will continue to grow if this goes through. Some how we need to relate this to all parties in the voting room.

Mort was just on and didn't sat that. Last I heard they were delaying 72 hours,after the owners meeting on tuesday.

Perhaps they will have them all vote when they meet.

1353475[/snapback]

all that I heard is that it seemed like tag's said eff it and realized that things were getting heated...so he took it to see if the owners liked it....

but I didn't hear anything being agreed upon...

all that I heard is that it seemed like tag's said eff it and realized that things were getting heated...so he took it to see if the owners liked it....

but I didn't hear anything being agreed upon...

1353483[/snapback]

I didn't either. I just heard him say they extended the deadline, but it looks like thy will present the offer to the owners on tuesday.

I wish they'd hurry this crap up. I'm anxious to see who the Vikings will spend all that cap money on. The bad thing is with a cap increase this year it helps those up against the cap and hurts those who planned well like the Vikings.

1353396[/snapback]

I can't answer for the Cards, but I do not think that it is an issue of 'good planning' for the vikings

I can't answer for the Cards, but I do not think that it is an issue of 'good planning' for the vikings

1353512[/snapback]

In the case of both teams, it is simply a factor of the stinginess of the two owners (Red McC, not Zygi, at the Vikings). No planning involved.

They will keep on delaying it. Why even have a deadline? They just ignore it anyway, like it doesn't exist. My theory is big market teams are behind it like the Redskins who will have a big problem this season if the cap isn't raised. They don't want to see small market teams like the Vikings who are under the cap get any good players.

I suppose they had better delay the NFL draft too if they keep delaying free agency etc.

They will keep on delaying it. Why even have a deadline? They just ignore it anyway, like it doesn't exist. My theory is big market teams are behind it like the Redskins who will have a big problem this season if the cap isn't raised. They don't want to see small market teams like the Vikings who are under the cap get any good players.

I suppose they had better delay the NFL draft too if they keep delaying free agency etc.

1353635[/snapback]

Both sides have to agree to the delay, so don't assume the owners can simply ignore the deadline as they see fit. Should the NFLPA decide a further delay would not get them any closer to a deal, they could refuse to agree to extend it and free agency will start.

Mort was just on and didn't sat that. Last I heard they were delaying 72 hours,after the owners meeting on tuesday.

Perhaps they will have them all vote when they meet.

1353475[/snapback]

I can't remember the exact time I heard Mort say it Randall. It was the late Sports Center last night, but rest assured, he did say it.

From the 3rd paragraph in your link Randall;

"The NFL negotiators called us tonight after our negotiations broke off to indicate that they will take our complete package to the owners for an approval vote on Tuesday," Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players' Association, said late Sunday night. "We have therefore agreed to extend the free agency deadline until midnight Wednesday in order to provide time for that vote to be accomplished.
That's exactly what I said in the first post of this thread.

The NFL & NFLPA have agreed upon a package in principle. It must be ratified by an owners vote on Tuesday.

Further confirmation;

NFL | Agreement in principal reached; owners have to agree now

Mon, 6 Mar 2006 07:08:26 -0800

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports an agreement in principal has been reached in the NFL's labor talks, but now that agreement has to be agreed to by the NFL owners. The biggest hurdle to the agreement will be revenue sharing. As noted previously, the agreement will be presented at an owner's meeting in Dallas Tuesday, March 7.

www.kffl.com - Hot Off The Wire

We'll see Tuesday if the owners will accept it, or shoot it down. If they don't ratify it, it will be from the owners who aren't happy with their own internal revenue sharing.

I can't remember the exact time I heard Mort say it Randall. It was the late Sports Center last night, but rest assured, he did say it.

From the 3rd paragraph in your link Randall;

That's exactly what I said in the first post of this thread.

The NFL & NFLPA have agreed upon a package in principle. It must be ratified by an owners vote on Tuesday.

Further confirmation;

www.kffl.com - Hot Off The Wire

We'll see Tuesday if the owners will accept it, or shoot it down. If they don't ratify it, it will be from the owners who aren't happy with their own internal revenue sharing.

1353810[/snapback]

I don't think a vote means the have agreed on a deal in princple. The NFL reps agreed to take the latest NFLPA offer to the owners. They NFL reps may not even endorse the the deal.

Sometimes in labor relations you take back a package to one side with the express hopes it gets voted down. The intent being to show it gets voted down by a large majority, as a show of solidarity. And if it just barely gets voted down you don't give out the numbers, just "It was rejected"

I don't clearly understand the dynamic between the NFL and the owners. Are they one entity or are they separate bodies with somewhat separate goals. If they have the same goals then I bet it gets voted down. If the NFL just wants it ratified then hopefully they endorse the deal and it goes through.