[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OT: RIP Kirby Puckett

drafter

MINNEAPOLIS -- Kirby Puckett died Monday, a day after the Hall of Fame outfielder had a stroke at his Arizona home, a hospital spokeswoman said. He was 44.

Puckett died at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Scottsdale, Ariz., Kimberly Lodge said. He had been in intensive care since having surgery at another hospital following his stroke Sunday morning.

Link on ESPN.

Prayers go out to his family and friends.

MINNEAPOLIS -- Kirby Puckett died Monday, a day after the Hall of Fame outfielder had a stroke at his Arizona home, a hospital spokeswoman said. He was 44.

Puckett died at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Scottsdale, Ariz., Kimberly Lodge said. He had been in intensive care since having surgery at another hospital following his stroke Sunday morning.

Link on ESPN.

Prayers go out to his family and friends.

1354804[/snapback]

That's terrible. I'm so sorry. I liked Kirby.

#34 is the man. We got to see a couple of best World Series with him, glad to see him succeed. He would of broke alot of records if he kept playing. Dude was one of the best hitters of all-time. I bet he could hit over .300 with glaucoma.

thanks for the memories

As far as players go he was great. Not just because he was a hall of famer or even that he took his team to World Series titles twice. He played his entire career with one team and played the game like a kid, much the way most of us always dreamed we would have played if we were ever as good.

RIP Kirby Puckett and thoughts and prayers are with your family.

drafter your fantasy team is ridiculously loaded. I don't care where those guys were ranked 4 yrs ago. Matter of fact many of them were ranked at the top of their positions. So you had to make some pretty shady deals to get them all on one team. But good for you. Outsmarted the competition.

Edited by irish

drafter your fantasy team is ridiculously loaded.  I don't care where those guys were ranked 4 yrs ago.  Matter of fact many of them were ranked at the top of their positions.  So you had to make some pretty shady deals to get them all on one team.  But good for you.  Outsmarted the competition.

1354834[/snapback]

probably the wrong thread to attack a guy's sig... low class dude

Being a lifelong Twins fan, when I hear "MN Twins" I rarely don't think right away "Kirby Puckett." He, while he was playing anyway, was a class act dude. I will never forget where I was watching game 6 of the 1991 World Series when Kirby hit the game-winning home run in the bottom of the 11th to send the Series to game 7. Jack Buck with the call when Kirby hit the game-winning home run... "and we'll see you tomorrow night!"

Thanks for the memories Kirby. I am and have always been a team player. It takes a team to win. But without Puckett, I say with confidence that the Twins would never have won the 1987 and 1991 World Series.

I've never been a big baseball fan, but I always liked the way Kirby played on the occasions that I watched. Team leader, played hard and had fun. It's further proof how even pro athletes are not immune to common illnesses - glaucoma and then a stroke.

RIP Kirby.

I heard this morning that a Twins executive spotted Kirby during the baseball strike season. He went to see his kid play a game and decided to take in a game a few miles down the road. Kirby showed his star potential to the Twins by accident on that night.

When Kirby got called up to the majors, none of the Twins staff picked him up at the airport. He went right from the airport to the Twins game by cab and he didn't have enough money for the cab fare. He went 4 for 5 in that first game. link

Edited by MikesVikes

Kirby was a class act..... didn't he take a HUGH paycut on the FA market to stay with the Twins? Talk about bad luck.... he was always pretty chunky... did he gain a lot of weight after he stopped playing? I always liked the guy... clas act. RIP.

Someone told me he was supposed to get married in June. Anyone know anything about that? Thanks.

1354895[/snapback]

I've heard many former teammates mention that. All of them were hoping that he was turning his life around. I heard that he weighed as much as 400 lbs. 5'8" (5'9" on a good day) and 400 lbs don't mix.

I've heard many former teammates mention that.  All of them were hoping that he was turning his life around.  I heard that he weighed as much as 400 lbs.  5'8" (5'9" on a good day) and 400 lbs don't mix.

1354911[/snapback]

Wow. I had heard he had gained weight, but not that much. Hard to believe someone who had worked so hard to become such a great athlete, had such a hard time keeping his weight down. Sounds similar to Buster Douglas who came within a hair of following the same fate, but was able to survive and turn his life around somewhat. It's a shame this couldn't have just been his 'wake-up' call.

Being a lifelong Twins fan, when I hear "MN Twins" I rarely don't think right away "Kirby Puckett." He, while he was playing anyway, was a class act dude. I will never forget where I was watching game 6 of the 1991 World Series when Kirby hit the game-winning home run in the bottom of the 11th to send the Series to game 7. Jack Buck with the call when Kirby hit the game-winning home run... "and we'll see you tomorrow night!"

Thanks for the memories Kirby. I am and have always been a team player. It takes a team to win. But without Puckett, I say with confidence that the Twins would never have won the 1987 and 1991 World Series.

1354865[/snapback]

They would never have been anywhere NEAR the 87 and 91 W. Series without him. I guess yesterday when I heard he had a stroke I didn't realize the severity until today. Very saddened by the news....he was obviously my favorite Twin growing up and one of my favorite all time players.