[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Injury Dogma and Drew Brees

McBoog

I have a question that doesn’t lend itself well to a poll, but should be an interesting topic for discussion. It may be geared more to those of us who have played the game, especially at the college or higher level, but all thoughts, as always are encouraged.

There has always been a very dogmatic attitude towards injuries and how they affect the players “starting status”. The feeling among players and coaches in general, is that you should not lose your starting job because of an injury. Not until the recent situation that my team, the Chargers, has had to face, have I stopped to think about how this “unwritten rule” would apply across seasons.

Now, gimping up a couple weeks, in-season, getting treatment and gutting it out the rest of the campaign when you can get back on the field is just the way it is. Off season is for getting healthy again!

But in the Drew Brees situation, you have a player that has no contract, an injured throwing shoulder that has been surgically repaired and will not be able to start throwing “rout” passes until well into training camp (possibly even late August). You have no idea if he ever will fully recover (despite what HIS doctors say). How does this whole thing fit into the “you don’t lose your starting job due to injury” thingy?

One side of me says that if he were under contract, you give him the benefit of the doubt. But, because he isn’t under contract, is it right for the Chargers to take this course of action BASED ON THE PREMISE of this post (not because you think he should or should not still be a Charger for other reasons). How does this apply to other positions? Would there be a difference?

From the business AND team side of this, I don’t think the Chargers have any real choice but to take the current course of action. They have a talented, young QB in Rivers that will run this team from Day 1 of training camp. Would it be right to take that away from him in a new season, where he is the man, building chemistry with the squad and the WRs? What if he performs better than Brees once given the reigns? Based on the “injury” dogma, do you play Drew and sit Rivers?

Even if Brees were to be ready to throw routs in the middle of August, I think you take a step backward in your season preparation time (camp) to shift gears like this mid-stream.

To avoid these many potential issues, I think more than anything, A.J. Smith has decided to minimize how many questions might arise by limiting it to one issue and that being, “Drew is gone, right or wrong. Let’s focus on the future and winning today!”

OR…

Is this just an excuse to not sign him to a long term deal, violating the unwritten rule?

:D

Now that Brees has signed with the Saints, I am bumpping this up again to see if there is any input. It was interesting to see the number of views without any replys. :D

Any thoughts?

I do know now that some of the teams were doubtful that Brees will even play this year. Some, and the Saints are one of them, feel he will start throwing, though not real routs, just tossing, in April. If that is the caes, my hat's off to him. He is a very hard worker and loves to prove people wrong :D

Standing by...

Brees was 1 for 5 in playoff appearances, and while the last couple of years he has been solid. He made some costly mistakes at inopportune times. The Bailey pick comes to mind. They missed the playoffs this year, and Brees had a down year from 2004...if you are in the habit of paying for past performance than you have a problem with them NOT paying Brees.

But I believe AJ Smith did the right thing, you never ever pay for past performance, especially if it's for one season. You appreciate it, and recognize it, but he had 1 great season, 1 better than average season...and 3 non descript season in SD. He was tagged last year, and if he would have followed up with a similar season and playoff spot....no doubt he gets a new deal.

It took guts by Smith, but I believe he made the right move...not popular but smart.

Brees was 1 for 5 in playoff appearances, and while the last couple of years he has been solid.  He made some costly mistakes at inopportune times.  The Bailey pick comes to mind.  They missed the playoffs this year, and Brees had a down year from 2004...if you are in the habit of paying for past performance than you have a problem with them NOT paying Brees.

But I believe AJ Smith did the right thing, you never ever pay for past performance, especially if it's for one season.  You appreciate it, and recognize it, but he had 1 great season, 1 better than average season...and 3 non descript season in SD.  He was tagged last year, and if he would have followed up with a similar season and playoff spot....no doubt he gets a new deal.

It took guts by Smith, but I believe he made the right move...not popular but smart.

1373542[/snapback]

Good post here. I would have to agree.