[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Culpepper to be dealt Friday night

Popeye

I know Pepper has been a whiny little girlie, but i'm still sad to see him go. First Moss and now this. Is the Wilf era really starting out any better than Cheap McCombs? They better make a splash elsewhere and bring in some big talent or i'm really going to be depressed. I was reading somewhere earlier that the speculation is the RB they are going to go after is Maurice Morris. That's Maurice freakin' Morris. Not Edgerrin James or anyone of a superstar pedigree.  :D

1360925[/snapback]

I like Maurice Morris myself, I think he can be a good NFL RB.

Also, if I am a Viking fan I am looking forward to this upcoming season. you guys came back from a horrible start of a season. you did it with your defense. I really expect alot of the Vikings next year . IMO keeping Culpepper and giving him some kind of huge contract is the only thing that can stop them from fighting for the division next year. get rid of the bum, any player who tries to take away from the team while it is winning ( and pepper did that) is useless. cut his strings.

And Mggoilers...The QB's the 4 years before Pepper took over the job averaged 30 TD's a season.

The QB's who played along side Pepper during his stint there did just as good as Pepper( 59 TD's and 38 INT's). he (Pepper)was the product of the team and nothing more.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Mggoilers...The QB's the 4 years before Pepper took over the job averaged 30 TD's a season.

The QB's who played along side Pepper during his stint there did just as good as Pepper( 59 TD's and 38 INT's). he (Pepper)was the product of the team and nothing more.

1360940[/snapback]

I think he's a better QB than you are giving him credit for.

Those teams 4 years before had a 1000 yard rusher and cris carter.

Brad Johnson is not the answer. Culpepper is not a system QB. when healthy, he's a top 10 QB in the league. you give him a pro bowl WR and a 1000 yard rusher and he's top 5 QB...

I know Pepper has been a whiny little girlie, but i'm still sad to see him go. First Moss and now this. Is the Wilf era really starting out any better than Cheap McCombs? They better make a splash elsewhere and bring in some big talent or i'm really going to be depressed. I was reading somewhere earlier that the speculation is the RB they are going to go after is Maurice Morris. That's Maurice freakin' Morris. Not Edgerrin James or anyone of a superstar pedigree.  :D

1360925[/snapback]

I would rather not have them spend 1/3 on James when they can probably get Morris who or somebody else for a lot less....They are cleaning house.

I would rather they go after Hutch and make it impossible for Seattle to re-sign him.

:D on again off again...who knows...

Wilf: Culpepper deal not imminent

The Vikings owner said he wasn't aware of reports of an impending trade of Daunte Culpepper, which could come as soon as tonight.

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

Last update: March 10, 2006 – 12:18 AM

Printer friendly E-mail this story Related Content

As reports circulated Thursday night that Daunte Culpepper was about to be traded, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said he did not know of an impending deal.

That could change as early as today.

The Oakland Raiders appear to be the front-runner to acquire the recalcitrant quarterback. Miami also has shown interest in Culpepper. A report on NFL.com Thursday said a trade was imminent but did not name a team.

However, even if an agreement has been reached, an official announcement can't be made until the new league year begins. That will happen at 11:01 tonight when free agency starts after a one-week delay because of negotiations to reach a new labor agreement.

"I honestly don't know anything about that," Wilf said when asked about the report on the NFL website. "I would tell you if I did. I think it's guesswork on their part."

The report came a day after the 29-year-old Culpepper challenged the Vikings to trade him or release him in an e-mail sent to various media outlets. Reports began to circulate Thursday afternoon that the Vikings were upset enough by this request that they began to aggressively shop him.

"Daunte Culpepper stated he would like to be traded or released, and right now we're addressing the situation," Wilf said from his New Jersey home. "That's all I can say."

Vikings coach Brad Childress and other executives were not available to comment, according to public relations director Bob Hagan. Raiders senior personnel executive Michael Lombardi did not return a call.

Other potential suitors for Culpepper were thought to include Arizona, St. Louis, Baltimore and the New York Jets.

"We're getting a lot of calls from people who are figuring it's either Oakland, Miami or Baltimore," said Kevin Byrne, Ravens senior vice president of public and community relations. "There is no deal in place between the Vikings and Ravens."

The Vikings, frustrated by Culpepper's failure to rehabilitate a serious knee injury at the team headquarters and by his repeated offseason demands for more guaranteed money to be added to his 10-year, $102 million contract, have been shopping the quarterback since last month.

Culpepper said in his e-mail Wednesday that he had confirmed the Vikings were trying to trade him -- a fact he had disputed in an e-mail in February-- and then asked for permission to speak to the interested teams.

"The Vikings have denied my request," wrote Culpepper, who has been representing himself since firing agent Mason Ashe in January. "If a trade does not happen, then I am asking the Vikings to terminate my contract as soon as possible."

Culpepper, who tore three ligaments in his right knee in an Oct. 30 loss at Carolina, did not respond to e-mails and a phone call Thursday. He was originally scheduled to receive a $6 million roster bonus on March 17, but that due date is believed to have been pushed back seven days because of the NFL's decision to postpone the start of free agency.

Delay of the payment date could give the Vikings more time to make a decision on Culpepper's future, but the team might feel it's best to get what it can for him now. That might not be very much for a guy who made a run at the NFL MVP trophy in 2004 but struggled in 2005 before being hurt in the seventh game of the season.

One report Thursday said the Vikings are willing to accept less than first-round compensation for Culpepper and might end up getting a conditional draft pick.

Culpepper, who threw for a career-high 4,717 yards and 39 touchdowns with only 11 interceptions in 2004, had six touchdowns and 12 interceptions before being injured last season. He also ran into trouble off the field and was charged with numerous misdemeanors for lewd conduct after the Vikings infamous boat part in October on Lake Minnetonka.

If sent to Oakland, Culpepper would replace veteran quarterback Kerry Collins and be reunited with receiver Randy Moss. Culpepper and Moss formed a dynamic duo for several seasons in Minnesota. Culpepper and Moss connected on 53 regular-season touchdown passes and four in the playoffs. Moss was traded by the Vikings to the Raiders last March.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/296693.html

I'm shocked the Redskins aren;t considered in the mix. They appear to be shopping Ramsey, will go into the year with Brunnel as the starter, and have an unproven, unplayed back-up in the wings.

With Snyder's penchant for overspending, I would have thought at least their hat would be in the ring.

The Triangle of Authority is taking one dump after another. They also despise revealing anything that they're doing or making announcements. Zygi says the team is our business except if we build a stadium that will be your business. Alfalfa said it best, "What's mine is mine and yours is ours."

Wow...this soap opera involving C-Pep is at least making the off season interesting here in MN.

C-Pep was a great fantasy football QB (until last year) but does anyone really think that he could lead a team to a Championship? The years of the Vikings having a powerful offense and no defense are coming to an end. The past few Superbowls have shown that a decent QB and a HUGH defense is what it take to win it all. Look at Indy... Great defenses seem to always trump great offenses.

C-Pep was not a team leader, did not want to learn the new offense and did not want to be a part of the ball control offense the I believe Childress is going to install. Daunte wants to take a 7 step drop and chuck down the field and let a receiver go get the ball. (Carter/Moss did this very well, Burleson caught short passes ant then ran through defenses that were spread out trying to guard Randy)

Where ever he goes those fans better be prepared to watch him fumble the ball away at least once a game!! He'll make some great plays but he has not proven to be a QB who can take the ball in the last few minutes of a game and snatch victory from defeat.

Viking fans now have to get used to seeing a defense dominant team that relys on an offense to score 21-24 points to win games. (back to the way it was in the late 60's and 70's, which was the last time we went to Superbowls...Purple People Eater 2.0). The days of the 35-31 victories may be over! the NFC North could become the black and blue division again with Chicago and Minnesota!!

Edited by T-Scorp

The thing about Cpep is that he's been beneath Dobber for quite a few years and was on a team without a winning attitude...

if he gets back to 100% health wise - I am sure he could do some damage with the right coach....you know.... like Saban...

I am not saying that I want Cpep (not sure) but Saban would sure whip him into shape.

Edited by Duchess Jack

Please, for the love of God, do NOT let him go to the Dolphins.

1361168[/snapback]

(KFFL) Jason Cole, of the Miami Herald, reports a high-ranking Miami Dolphins source denied that Miami had worked out a deal for Minnesota Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper, although he admitted that there had been extensive talks initiated by the Vikings. According to multiple reports, the Vikings decided Thursday, March 9, to part company with Culpepper as soon as possible.

My crazy scenario.....

Daunte's been playing this all along, sitting down there in Florida, its not

Childress and Zyggy he really has a problem with, its playing and living

in a state that is prudish enough to charge him with a crime for getting a

lap dance. Edge did want to come here...but him and Daunte have been known

to pal around in Florida...ya know Edge would love to go back to Miami.....

So Daunte has been down there having secret meetings with Saban, and Edge,

just waiting for the CBA to get done so Edge can maximize his

contract.....and now Daunte breaks loose with his big plan, Miami trades for

Daunte....Daunte's been there in Florida the whole time so Saban has first hand knowledge on how the knee is doing. Thing is, it's not for a draft pick, but for Mr Ronnie Brown...opening up the RB spot for Edge....and Saban has his win-now team he has been looking for.

:D

1360727[/snapback]

Now that there would be a nice call :D

Hmmmm?  Ronnie Brown will likely turn out to be one heck of a back, he's the real deal.

1361318[/snapback]

Oh to that I don't disagree, but I was just saying if that were to happen, which it won't then that would be one heck of a call.