[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Culpepper to be dealt Friday night

Popeye

Al Davis knows that Randy Moss is in charge of the team. Davis asked Moss if he'd play harder if Daunte was his QB.

Randy said, "Dude, I play when I want to play. Not when Daunte wants me too. And please call me Mr. Moss."

Just to put in another story that's about as close to the truth as 10 others.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From KFFL...

Raiders | Team in final bidding for Culpepper

Fri, 10 Mar 2006 23:20:09 -0800

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the Oakland Raiders were one of three teams supposedly involved in the final bidding for Minnesota Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper. The Raiders dropped out when they heard the price was going to be a second-round draft choice.

I guess they upped their price last minute...

1364057[/snapback]

I don't believe for a second that there is a bidding war going on for Culpepper. the Vikes are playing their cards right and just saying that so they can keep the Raiders interest up and in the front right now because they know if a deal does not happen after all this talk that Culpeppers value will take a even bigger hit.

Kinda funny how the Raiders cut a QB better than the 1 that they are "supposedly" trying to trade for who makes and wants much more money and is hurt. the Raiders make this deal and it is official, some GM's don't know football. it is kinda good to see, I thought only my Lions hired people who don't know about football, good to see there is another team out there besides us.

I am stunned, I must admit. Collins cut? I have been supporting him all along, and I am not about to slam him now after he's been cut by Oakland. I don't know who they plan on picking up that they think will be better than him? Really, if it's Cullpepper, I think it's a HUGH mistake. Even if Daunte's knee isn't destroyed and he can make it back before October, do they think that he can get along with Moss? And are they willing to sacrifice September to their #2 QB?

I think their best move now is going after Brees, Kitna or McCown.

I am stunned, I must admit. Collins cut? I have been supporting him all along, and I am not about to slam him now after he's been cut by Oakland. I don't know who they plan on picking up that they think will be better than him? Really, if it's Cullpepper, I think it's a HUGH mistake. Even if Daunte's knee isn't destroyed and he can make it back before October, do they think that he can get along with Moss? And are they willing to sacrifice September to their #2 QB?

I think their best move now is going after Brees, Kitna or McCown.

1364082[/snapback]

I have been a huge Kitna supporter ever since they took the job from him and gave it to Palmer. the guy deserves a starting job in the NFL and can be gotten at a much better price than the others. if my team needs a QB (and it does, luckily we got Shawn King... :D ), I make Kitna my number 1 QB to go after.

I have been a huge Kitna supporter ever since they took the job from him and gave it to Palmer. the guy deserves a starting job in the NFL and can be gotten at a much better price than the others. if my team needs a QB (and it does, luckily we got Shawn King... :D ), I make Kitna my number 1 QB to go after.

1364084[/snapback]

I agree, Kitna was excellent in his year before he was benched for Palmer. If they have to go after somebody I would rather see him in there as opposed to Cullpepper.

I agree, Kitna was excellent in his year before he was benched for Palmer. If they have to go after somebody  I would rather see him in there as opposed to Cullpepper.

1364102[/snapback]

Tough to say that Kitna is better than Cpepp.... Never has been yet, why do you see him being better now?

But, the Raiders from what I've heard are out (never in) the Cpepp race.

:D

Al Davis knows that Randy Moss is in charge of the team.  Davis asked Moss if he'd play harder if Daunte was his QB. 

Randy said, "Dude, I play when I want to play.  Not when Daunte wants me too.  And please call me Mr. Moss."

Just to put in another story that's about as close to the truth as 10 others.

1364076[/snapback]

:D

From NFL.com (Shefter 03-10-06)

DAUNTE UPDATE

The Vikings spent much today on the phones, finalizing a deal for quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

As of 7 p.m. ET, it was difficult to pinpoint where Culpepper is headed.

But it's not difficult to pinpoint where he's not.

A Sunshine State native, Daunte Culpepper starred at the University of Central Florida.

He's not being traded to New Orleans. A Saints official said the team is not in the running for Culpepper, and New Orleans will push hard for Brees.

A Raiders official said Oakland never made an offer to Minnesota, even though the two sides spoke. The Raiders official said the team is absolutely out of the Culpepper sweepstakes.

The Baltimore Ravens are not interested in Culpepper, and likely will be pursuing Kerry Collins.

Late today, a Jets official confirmed his team won't pursue Culpepper.

Unless some team is lying -- and the teams mentioned above were adamant in their responses -- that leaves the Miami Dolphins as the only team that has admitted to being in the market for a quarterback.

Culpepper probably would be thrilled at the idea of returning home to Florida. He would be happy, the Dolphins likely would be happy, and the Vikings would be happy.

Now we wait to see if this bit of sense makes reality.

Kinda funny how the Raiders cut a QB better than the 1 that they are "supposedly" trying to trade for who makes and wants much more money and is hurt. the Raiders make this deal and it is official, some GM's don't know football. it is kinda good to see, I thought only my Lions hired people who don't know about football, good to see there is another team out there besides us.

1364079[/snapback]

So you're saying the Kerry Collins is a better QB than Culpepper? Now that's funny.

Considering they saved 9.6 mill in cap space by cutting him, I would say that was a smart move. There still is a chance they can re-sign him at a more cap-friendly deal as well.

So you're saying the Kerry Collins is a better QB than Culpepper?  Now that's funny. 

Considering they saved 9.6 mill in cap space by cutting him, I would say that was a smart move.  There still is a chance they can re-sign him at a more cap-friendly deal as well.

1364153[/snapback]

Kerry Collins < Daunte Culpepper

No way Collins is better than Pepper. No way.

Ok ... so, if it is MIA getting CPepper ...

I would expect to see some pretty meaningful conditional picks included in the deal.

Maybe something like:

Ricky Williams and a conditional 1st or 2nd rounder based on Culpeppers playing time

for

Duante Culpepper and a conditional 4th round pick based on Ricky Williams playing time

...or...

3rd rounder in 2006 and a conditional 2nd and a conditional 4th based on Culpeppers playing time

for

Culpepper

Kerry Collins < Daunte Culpepper

No way Collins is better than Pepper. No way.

1364184[/snapback]

I don't know man, Daunte's first season without Moss and he looked HORRIBLE. That relationship was bad when they were together, how do you think they would be together now?

Culpepper 2 years ago, with Moss, sure as hell WAS better than Collins.

Culpepper now, after a devestating knee injury which he may not be back until October? To a team that has the player he publicly insulted?

I'll take Collins in a Turner-less run Offense, pass on Culpepper.

I don't know man, Daunte's first season without Moss and he looked HORRIBLE. That relationship was bad when they were together, how do you think they would be together now?

Culpepper 2 years ago, with Moss, sure as hell WAS better than Collins.

Culpepper now, after a devestating knee injury which he may not be back until October? To a team that has the player he publicly insulted?

I'll take Collins in a Turner-less run Offense, pass on Culpepper.

1364536[/snapback]

That's a fair statement if you base it solely on 1 bad season without Moss. To be honest, who knows what's going to happen with that high school level failure as our OC. Don't know if Collins/Cpepp would make any difference. But you never know.

I think a Norv Turner run offense can be a great thing. Just not for the Raiders and Al Davis. Davis wants to run & gun, not dink & dunk. That's why the Raiders have lacked a real credible RB since Allen or maybe Kauffman. Garner was a good all round player, just not the best classic RB.

When it's all said and done, I want to see whomever it is (Collins/Walter/Tui) get Randy Moss the football. Randy Moss is not a classic WR. Don't make him run routes and take hits. Just throw the darned ball down the sideline and watch him go make the catch.

I don't believe for a second that there is a bidding war going on for Culpepper. the Vikes are playing their cards right and just saying that so they can keep the Raiders interest up and in the front right now because they know if a deal does not happen after all this talk that Culpeppers value will take a even bigger hit.

1364079[/snapback]

Collins' no better than "a healthy" Culpepper. Granted neither of them are really clutch QBs (though Collins' has been somewhat clutch in prior years. He's over the hill at this point however). I don't think they'd be going to the Superbowl or anything with Culpepper in there, but they'd definitely be an explosive offense if they could keep their main 4 guys healthy.

Edited by Crazysight

Raiders Now 10.8 Million Under Cap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AP reports The Oakland Raiders released quarterback Kerry Collins Friday, increasing speculation a trade for Minnesota quarterback Daunte Culpepper could be completed when the new league year starts at 9:01 p.m. (12:01 a.m.). There were conflicting reports as to whether the Raiders were serious players in the chase for Culpepper, who the Vikings are actively seeking to trade. With Collins' release, combined with the official release of Ron Stone, Oakland is more than $10.8 million under the salary cap as of Friday - more than enough money to bring aboard Culpepper or another free agent. However, according to the NFL Network, as well as the Web site profootballtalk.com, the Raiders were not in the running to get Culpeppper and had not made a serious offer. Culpepper is coming off reconstructive knee surgery and it is not known when he will be able to play. Collins' release saves the Raiders $7,447,000 against the salary cap. Collins was also due a $2.5 million signing bonus if he remained on the roster five days into the league year. Oakland's cap situation was aided greatly by the new collective bargaining agreement, which not only gave the club an additional $7.5 million to work with, but also pushed incentives off the books which were credited to the 2006 cap because 2007 was originally scheduled to be an uncapped year.

These conflicting reports are starting to get annoying.  So who's the more reliable source ESPN (Clayton) or NFL Network (Shefter)?

1364063[/snapback]

Culpepper is damaged goods and has a large contract. Minnesota is dreaming if they think anyone will give a second rounder for him. I say Oakland will eventually get him without having to give up very much...maybe a fourth rounder.