[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chester Taylor a Viking!

Raider.Nation

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is just AP wire stuff

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The Minnesota Vikings surged into free agency Saturday, signing kicker Ryan Longwell, running back Chester Taylor and linebacker Ben Leber.

Taylor was the backup in Baltimore to Jamal Lewis. He rushed for 487 yards on 117 carries last year, his fourth in the league, after carrying 160 times for 714 yards and two touchdowns in 2004. Taylor also caught 41 passes for 292 yards and a score in 2005.

Longwell was with Green Bay since 1997, when he was a rookie on their second Super Bowl team. In 2000, Longwell totaled a career-best 131 points and went 33-for-38 on his field goals -- including 20 makes from 40 yards and longer. In 2005, the nine-year veteran posted career lows in several categories, making only 74 percent of his field goals (20-for-27) and finished with 90 points. He went 6-for-10 between 30 and 39 yards and 3-for-5 between 40 and 49 yards.

In Minnesota, Longwell is best known for twice giving Green Bay victories on game-ending field goals during the 2004 season.

Paul Edinger had modest success, including three game-winning field goals, as the Vikings' kicker last season. But he is a free agent and now likely won't be retained.

Leber started for San Diego at outside linebacker since his rookie year in 2002, losing his job to star rookie Shawne Merriman last October and landing on injured reserve in November with a foot injury that required surgery.

Leber played at Kansas State and was drafted by the Chargers in the third round. Leber has 12 sacks in his four-year career and could replace incumbent starter Keith Newman, who isn't expected to be re-signed.

Vikings | C. Taylor signed

Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:30:19 -0800

Mark Craig, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings have signed free agent RB Chester Taylor (Ravens). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

1364550[/snapback]

I really do not consider this move as anything special, IMO the Vikes have a better RB in Moore. in fact I would guess that they overpayed for him. that being said he is in a good system to do well if he does end up the starter.

I really do not consider this move as anything special, IMO the Vikes have a better RB in Moore. in fact I would guess that they overpayed for him. that being said he is in a good system to do well if he does end up the starter.

1364565[/snapback]

I disagree with you on Moore. Not that he isn't better than Taylor, I just don't think he's the man to carry the rock for the Vikes. They needed to find some versatility, which I think they did in Taylor. Now they have a guy who can run with it, just as well as he can catch it. Whereas Moore is too 1 dimensional. But all along I've been a supporter of using Smith. I guess Reid rubbed off on Childress though.

I haven't caught up on all the news, but pursuing a guy like Taylor with $30 million plus in cap space to me can only mean they are going to give Hutchinson a huge offer that the Hawks will have to think twice about matching.

1364570[/snapback]

That would be a excellent move by Minne if they could ,and a move that makes them contenders in the weak eastern conference.

I disagree with you on Moore. Not that he isn't better than Taylor, I just don't think he's the man to carry the rock for the Vikes. They needed to find some versatility, which I think they did in Taylor. Now they have a guy who can run with it, just as well as he can catch it. Whereas Moore is too 1 dimensional. But all along I've been a supporter of using Smith. I guess Reid rubbed off on Childress though.

1364571[/snapback]

As far as versality goes, at the time he was drafted Mewelde Moore was only the 2nd RB in NCAA history to both rush and receive for over 2,000 yards. The other guy? Former Viking RB Darin Nelson.

MEWELDE MOORETULANE RUSHING STATISTICS  Year  No.  Yds  Avg  Lng.  TD 2 pt. 2000 174 890 5.1 58 2 - 2001 262 1,421 5.4 75 8 - 2002 288 1,138 4.0 29 6 - 2003 185 915 4.9 32 5 - Totals 909 4,364 4.8 75 21 - RECEIVING STATISTICS  Year  No.  Yds  Avg  Lng.  TD 2 pt. 2000 33 350 10.6 74 1 - 2001 65 756 11.6 52 7 - 2002 52 545 10.5 47 3 - 2003 39 408 10.5 45 4 - Totals 189 2,059 10.9 74 15 - KICKOFF RETURNS  Year  No.  Yards  Avg.  Long  TD 2001 5 82 16.4 27 0 

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

1364571[/snapback]

Moore is 1 dimensional? How is taylor more versatile? you do know that Moore is a fine reciever right ?

Time will tell, but if they can add to the O-Line now, he could have a good year. He caught 70+ balls over the last two years as a part time player. Should fit into the WCO offense fine. Has some speed, probably not a Brian Westbrook speed, but he's a little bigger too.

One thing he should have over Moore is his toughness. He played thru some injuries last year.

After Edge amd Alexander, I'd say he'd be the top back left out there right now.

Time will tell, but if they can add to the O-Line now, he could have a good year. He caught 70+ balls over the last two years as a part time player. Should fit into the WCO offense fine. Has some speed, probably not a Brian Westbrook speed, but he's a little bigger too.

One thing he should have over Moore is his toughness. He played thru some injuries last year.

After Edge amd Alexander, I'd say he'd be the top back left out there right now.

1364589[/snapback]

I think whoever ends up the starter on Minne will put up decent stats, looks to me like they are just improving their platoon situation though. that will work though, I know we hate it in fantasy leagues but having 2 RB's who can get the job done is always a good thing.

1364565[/snapback]

How the hell does MM look better to you?? the guy doesnt play with a hangnail and makes Fred Taylor look like an iron man :D

Moore is 1 dimensional?  How is taylor more versatile? you do know that Moore is a fine reciever right ?

1364580[/snapback]

For 1 Chester was Balt's 3rd down RB so he is very capable of pass protection and catching passes. Runs very tough between the tackles and doesnt run out of the darn game every time he gets a "boo-boo"

How the hell does MM look better to you?? the guy doesnt play with a hangnail and makes Fred Taylor look like an iron man  :D

1364609[/snapback]

Actually, I think it would be foolish of us to try and say which 1 is better than the other,neither have really proven anything.

That being said, Moore is averaging 4.7 yards percarry in his 2 seasons . I know he has been in a better situation than Taylor, but when you watched Baltimore games ,whenever Lewis would leave the game so would the 8 man fronts. that tells me teams were not scared of Taylor.

How the hell does MM look better to you?? the guy doesnt play with a hangnail and makes Fred Taylor look like an iron man  :D

1364609[/snapback]

No offense, Fred Taylor will play with a sprained ankle. He has an injury history, but they are usually very significant..like groin tears, knee injuries, and hammy tears. He's tough and will play hurt, just not injured.

The guy gets much respect in the league, but he has killed fantasy owners.

Mewelde Moore is soft..like pillow

I haven't seen him play all that much. I wonder if he will fit into a WCO system?

1364563[/snapback]

Great back in my opinion but I don't think the Vikings are going to be anywhere near a satisfactory team thus Taylor won't run well even if he does get the start each game which I suspect he will unless they can get a good Draft pick because I see no attraction a FA would have towards the Vikings/