[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

edge to the cards

kevin4192

yes but JJ proved to be nothing special ...nothing special at all ..i know he was a rookie ( but so was Cadillac and Cedric Benson last year amd they did a whole lot more ) ...throw in fact a stud like Edge is available and i think you have to sign him if you are unde the Cap which is what cards were

1365280[/snapback]

I don't see how any one could have seen enough to say that JJ is nothing special. Granted, he wasn't ready for prime time, but the fact remains that that o-line sucks, & whoever you put back there wasn't going to succeed.

It just can't be patched, it needs to be replaced. And if you don't take care of that, it doesn't matter who you put in that backfield, he's going to get killed. IMO, AZ is wasting their money on Edge.

Edited by Bonehand

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

where does this leave Indy?

Rhodes? Who do they sign, does this force them to take a RB with their first pick?

1365303[/snapback]

I imagine they draft a RB regarless of free agent moves.

YESSSS!!!! We have a stud RB finally. :D Forget about that 2.8 ypc average here comes 3.3 YEAH!!! Really though as a (gulp) Card fan for 20 years, we finally have something to be happy about. That Emmit thing a few years back was nothing more than Bidwill adding money to his pockets for all the Cowboy fans around here. :D This signing will be huge ESPECIALLY now we can focus on the Oline for the draft and possible one more free agent. Ross and Davis are good linemen, just need to not be hurt or playing out of position. I think the Cards are close to being a playoff team, just 1 or 2 players away IMO. :D

Congrats to Edge. I hope he got the money he wanted. Arizona has the offensive firepower now. I think Edge will make their offensive line look better. Edge is a great player, and vastly underrated by the Colts. He will be sorely missed.

Colts must go RB in the first round, I would think. And for those of you who don't know my feelings on Rhodes, no, I don't think he can be an every down back in the NFL.

Edited by CaptainHook

Less than a week after coach Dennis Green declared that his team would not do any shopping in the higher-priced aisles of the free agent market, the Arizona Cardinals landed one of the highest-profile players in the entire pool on Sunday, signing former Indianapolis Colts star tailback Edgerrin James.

In terms of productivity and star quality, they don't get much bigger than James, a four-time Pro Bowl performer, in free agency. And in terms of compensation, contracts for tailbacks don't get much bigger than the one James signed in culminating his weekend visit with Arizona officials and coaches.

ESPN.com has confirmed that the four-year contract is worth $30 million. James received an initial signing bonus of $7 million and will pocket a $4.5 million roster bonus on the seventh day of the 2006 league year, essentially the end of this week. The base salaries in the contract are $3.25 million (for 2006), $5.25 million (2007), $5 million (2008) and $5 million (2009).

The deal is in keeping with the way the Cardinals prefer to structure contracts, in that it is not dramatically back-loaded, and includes base salaries that remain fairly flat over the term of the contract.

For the first two seasons of the contract, James will earn $20 million and will make $25 million over the first three seasons. By comparison, the eight-year, $62 million contract signed by Shaun Alexander with the Seattle Seahawks last week will pay the reigning league most valuable player $18.525 million in the first two seasons and $23 million for the first three years.

Obviously, the contract, negotiated by agent Drew Rosenhaus over the last two days, makes James one of the highest paid tailbacks in league history. The 27-year-old James played the 2005 season with the Colts under the one-year qualifying offer for a franchise tailback. Indianapolis officials had made it clear they could not afford to bring James back for another season, and the Colts likely will look to the draft for a replacement.

With plenty of cap room, the Cardinals aggressively pursued James from the Saturday outset of the free agent signing period. They flew him, along with several other free agent targets, into Phoenix on Saturday and negotiated hard into Sunday afternoon before closing the deal. It is not known how many other suitors James attracted, but it's unlikely any of them would have topped the Cardinals' offer.

Securing James, who played the first seven years of his career with the Colts, should immediately upgrade an Arizona running game that for years has ranked among the NFL's least productive.

In fact, the Cardinals ranked last in the NFL in rushing in 2005, averaging just 71.1 yards per outing. The team's leading rusher, Marcel Shipp, had only 451 yards. Second-round draft pick J.J. Arrington, who many felt would be an immediate star in the NFL, rushed for just 370 yards and did not run very hard after initial contact, even some teammates conceded.

But last season was merely a continuation of a long stretch of poor rushing performances for Arizona, which has not had a 1,000-yard rusher since Adrian Murrell in 1998. Since 1990, the Cardinals had had just three 1,000-yard rushers. James, by comparison, has five 1,000-yard seasons in seven years and four years of 1,500-plus yards. Not since 2002 has Arizona ranked among the top half of the NFL teams in rushing offense. Since 1990, the Cardinals' average ranking has been No. 24, and 10 times in that period Arizona has statistically rated 25th or lower.

James should help solve that longtime deficiency, but there is some risk for him, too, however, since he will be running behind a suspect offensive line. The Cardinals on Saturday signed young guard Milford Brown of the Houston Texans, but he has never started a full season. Arizona used 11 different starters on the line in 2005 and six different starting combinations, and the unit is not only in need of an upgrade but also of more toughness.

Still, the big investment in James is a gamble the Cardinals almost certainly had to take if their offense is to improve in 2006. Arizona has one of the most potent passing attacks in the league, with a pair of excellent young wide receivers in Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, but their offense sorely needs more balance. The team recently re-signed quarterback Kurt Warner to a contract extension but, at age 34, the two-time NFL most valuable player definitely requires more insulation, and James should offer that.

Not only is James a superb rusher, but he is also an accomplished receiver, too. And one of the strongest elements of his game, although often overlooked, is his terrific ability to pass protect. In the Indianapolis offense, James was often called on to pick up the odd man on the pass rush.

James has carried 2,188 times for 9,226 yards and 64 touchdowns and is the leading rusher in Colts history. He also has 356 receptions for 2,839 yards and 11 touchdowns.

from ESPN.com

Congrats to Edge.  I hope he got the money he wanted.  Arizona has the offensive firepower now.  I think Edge will make their offensive line look better.  Edge is a great player, and vastly underrated by the Colts.  He will be sorely missed.

Colts must go RB in the first round, I would think.

1365475[/snapback]

I have no doubt. Unless trade.

I have no doubt. Unless trade.

1365498[/snapback]

It will be intersting to see how far LenDale White falls now the the Cards don't need him. That also effects where DeAngelo Williams goes too. Perhaps the Colts could trade up or sit and hope Maroney falls to them at 30.

yes but JJ proved to be nothing special ...nothing special at all ..i know he was a rookie ( but so was Cadillac and Cedric Benson last year amd they did a whole lot more )

1365280[/snapback]

:D Bears might not agree with that.

Interesting observation and likely dead on. The O-line in Arizona could not block a troop of girl scouts last year and ARZ has been noteworthy for never having a running game for years and years. The desert has killed many a career. But they will have to use him and that only takes away from Fitzgerald and Boldin since those two literally accounted for almost all offense last year.

1365183[/snapback]

Randall Cunningham | 16 | 259 425 60.9 3704 8.7 34 10 | 32 132 1 |

Leroy Hoard | 16 | 115 479 4.2 9 | 22 198 9.0 1

Robert Smith | 14 | 249 1187 4.8 6 | 28 291 10.4 2

Cris Carter | 16 | 1 -1 -1.0 0 | 78 1011 13.0 12

Randy Moss | 16 | 1 4 4.0 0 | 69 1313 19.0 17

Randall Cunningham | 7 | 124 200 62.0 1475 7.4 8 9 | 10 58 0 |

| Jeff George | 14 | 191 329 58.1 2816 8.6 23 12 | 16 41 0 |

Leroy Hoard | 15 | 138 555 4.0 10 | 17 166 9.8 0

Robert Smith | 13 | 221 1015 4.6 2 | 24 166 6.9 0

Cris Carter | 16 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 90 1241 13.8 13

Randy Moss | 16 | 4 43 10.8 0 | 80 1413 17.7 11

I heard the press conference on Sirius as I was driving around. Edge sounded happy. He's wanted a long term deal for awhile. The Colts are going to miss him. Manning has had Marshall Faulk and Edgerrin James as his running backs. It'll be a big drop off to whoever comes in next.

I heard the press conference on Sirius as I was driving around.  Edge sounded happy.  He's wanted a long term deal for awhile.  The Colts are going to miss him.  Manning has had Marshall Faulk and Edgerrin James as his running backs.  It'll be a big drop off to whoever comes in next.

1365664[/snapback]

But, everyone thought the Colt's were nuts for getting rid of Faulk to get James!!! :D

And I'm not saying we'll get that lucky and find that same level of talent again, but at least Polian has proven he can find good RB's. (Granted, our pick the year we got James was a lot higher).

I agree though with most in that, there's no way we can possibly replace that level of talent in the draft at the 30 spot!!!

On the bright side, the fantasy numbers for the passing attack should go back up this year!!! :D:D

Edited by Big Dogs

I agree though with most in that, there's no way we can possibly replace that level of talent in the draft at the 30 spot!!! 

1365710[/snapback]

Good players can be had at any point in the draft ... just like bad players can be had at any point in the draft.

Not stunned he was signed at all, but I still can't figure out why Indi never really valued him. Not just this year, the last few years it has seemed. The guy has been nothign short of excellent his entire career.

Arizona's Offense is starting to get intersting now that they have a great RB to go along with that growing passing game. If this works, the NFC West can be a wild west type div between Sea, STL and them.

where does this leave Indy?

Rhodes? Who do they sign, does this force them to take a RB with their first pick?

1365303[/snapback]

I, for one, thought Michael Bennett would head to Arizona to reunite with Denny Green. Now that Edge is there, I could see Bennett going to Indy. Hook, what's your take on that? Bennett as the incumbent, draft a guy like Maroney... :D

I, for one, thought Michael Bennett would head to Arizona to reunite with Denny Green.  Now that Edge is there, I could see Bennett going to Indy.  Hook, what's your take on that?  Bennett as the incumbent, draft a guy like Maroney... :D

1365720[/snapback]

I think you meant "Rhodes as the incumbent and drafting a guy like Maroney," whch is probably fairly accurate. I think the Colts are forced to take a back in the first round, although I've been wrong before. A couple times I thought the Colts HAD to go defense and they took Wayne and Clark. With AZ signing Edge, I'm fairly confident Maroney will be there at 30, although I HOPE it means that LenDale White goes later than anticipated leaving the Colts the chance to trade up and nab DeAngelo Williams . . .

edit: sorry, read it wrong. I can't imagine the Colts having ANY interest in Bennett. To me, Rhodes and Bennett are the same player. Fast, but injury-prone.

Edited by CaptainHook

I think you meant "Rhodes as the incumbent and drafting a guy like Maroney," whch is probably fairly accurate.  I think the Colts are forced to take a back in the first round, although I've been wrong before.  A couple times I thought the Colts HAD to go defense and they took Wayne and Clark.  With AZ signing Edge, I'm fairly confident Maroney will be there at 30, although I hope it means that LenDale White goes later than anticipated leaving the Colts the chance to draft up and nab DeAngelo Williams . . .

1365756[/snapback]

:D You really think Rhodes could shoulder the full load??? A few of my non-Huddle Indy homer friends aren't so sure... :D

I did, however, mean to include him in my post... so, as an edit: bring Bennett in to contend w/ Rhodes and draft a guy like Maroney.

Anyone with any vested interest in the Colts would be doing backflips if they could get Williams.

:D  You really think Rhodes could shoulder the full load???  A few of my non-Huddle Indy homer friends aren't so sure... :D

I did, however, mean to include him in my post... so, as an edit:  bring Bennett in to contend w/ Rhodes and draft a guy like Maroney. 

Anyone with any vested interest in the Colts would be doing backflips if they could get Williams.

1365760[/snapback]

Sorry, I read it wrong and edited my post. Put me in the category of those who do not think Rhodes could handle the full load. BUT, if the Colts do decide to draft a rookie back instead of picking one up in FA, I could see Rhodes being the opening day starter and slowly losing carries to the rook until he is ready. Rhodes woud be able to handle that. I see the Colts being more of a RBBC committee team until one guy distinguishes himself.

Edited by CaptainHook

Sorry, I read it wrong and edited my post.  Put me in the category of those who do not think Rhodes could handle the full load.  BUT, if the Colts do decide to draft a rookie back instead of picking one up in FA, I could see Rhodes being the opening day starter and slowly losing carries to the rook until he is ready.  Rhodes woud be able to handle that.  I see the Colts being more of a RBBC committee team until one guy distinguishes himself.

1365762[/snapback]

The Colts rarely participate in signing free agents.  I don't see them signing a back.  They'll stick with Mungro and Rhodes and draft a back in April.

1365764[/snapback]

:D Yeah, I could see that as being the case.

I think that the fantasy player whose value will go down the most is Neil Rackers! :D With Edge moving the chains better for the Cards those drives that sputtered near the red zone will now continue and many will be converted into TDs.

They are in a weak division and their offense will be much more difficult to contain. I believe that all the Cards fantasy players (Warner, Boldin, Fitz and Edge) will all have very productive years.

I think Edge's value takes a dip, but not nearly as much as most will predict. :D