[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McCree signs with SD

Randall

Posted on Sun, Mar. 12, 2006

McCree, Chargers agree to $16 million, five-year deal

Associated Press

SAN DIEGO - Free agent safety Marlon McCree agreed to a five-year, $16 million deal with San Diego on Saturday night, an upgrade for the Chargers' light-hitting secondary.

McCree, who had been with the Carolina Panthers, will make $6 million in bonuses and guaranteed money in the first two years of the deal.

He was the first player to visit the Chargers after free agency opened Friday night.

General manager A.J. Smith said the coaching staff will decide whether McCree will play free or strong safety.

"He's a terrific football player, very versatile," Smith said. "He's tough and competitive."

McCree had 88 tackles and three interceptions for Carolina last year. He spent the 2003-04 seasons with the Houston Texans after beginning his career in Jacksonville.

Keil and McCree.  Going to be interesting to see who moves to FS. Neither have great ball hawking range.

1365613[/snapback]

So I'm assuming from your post that you don't think he's all that good. :D

I like McCree and he did a nice job with Carolina last year and was able to get a big deal for himself after one good year with the Panthers. I know the Panthers still like him and they were looking to re-sign him again for a couple years, but they were not willing to break the bank for a S that is best suited as a run stopper.

McCree is a nice player and he will help the Chargers, but I can't say that I am that upset about losing him to the Chargers. Hurney and Fox are always evaluating current players and how much they are willing to pay them before putting our cap in bad shape for the future, so unfortunately for us, the Chargers stepped up and were willing to pay more $$$ then the Panthers were willing to pay.

I like McCree and he did a nice job with Carolina last year and was able to get a big deal for himself after one good year with the Panthers.  I know the Panthers still like him and they were looking to re-sign him again for a couple years, but they were not willing to break the bank for a S that is best suited as a run stopper.

McCree is a nice player and he will help the Chargers, but I can't say that I am that upset about losing him to the Chargers.  Hurney and Fox are always evaluating current players and how much they are willing to pay them before putting our cap in bad shape for the future, so unfortunately for us, the Chargers stepped up and were willing to pay more $$$ then the Panthers were willing to pay.

1365834[/snapback]

Sounds like he is good at stopping the run but only adequate at pass coverage. :D

Sounds like he is good at stopping the run but only adequate at pass coverage. :D

1365844[/snapback]

That is a good assessment and he will be a good addition to the Chargers secondary. The Panthers just weren't willing to throw him big money like the Chargers did.

1365844[/snapback]

That is a good assessment.

1365864[/snapback]

I just had a flashback to a time when everyone in the Chargers organization was saying the same thing about Rodney Harrison! :D

So I'm assuming from your post that you don't think he's all that good. :D

1365616[/snapback]

Didnt say that, but he plays the same position as Terrance Kiel. Neither has the range to play FS, so I think its interesting to see what they do there. I personally never think its a bad idea to have good players on your team, because of injuries and depth. I just personally dont see him as an upgrade over Kiel and for that kind of money they will have to get them both on the field together.

Didnt say that, but he plays the same position as Terrance Kiel.  Neither has the range to play FS, so I think its interesting to see what they do there.  I personally never think its a bad idea to have good players on your team, because of injuries and depth.  I just personally dont see him as an upgrade over Kiel and for that kind of money they will have to get them both on the field together.

1365977[/snapback]

Just caught interviews on TV showing McCree and Wade Phillips both saying that he could play FS. I'm beginning to think that's BS.