[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pizza Dough

untateve

I've been making my own pizza dough for years and while it's always been good, I never felt it was exceptional. Recently, I stumbled across this dough recipe:

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/00119...ml#yourcomments

It is somewhat labor intensive but the taste was, in a word, exceptional. I followed the recipe pretty closely as I usually do when making something new. Next time, I'll throw herbs into the dough to improve the overall flavor.

I made three different doughs--one with high gluten bread flour, one with half bread dough and half all purpose flour, and one with only all purpose flour. Consensus is that the best dough was the only all purpose flour. It cooked up nicer without that "bread-like" consistency. My next plan is to order some of that Italian 00 flour and see if there's a difference.

I've been making my own pizza dough for years and while it's always been good, I never felt it was exceptional.  Recently, I stumbled across this dough recipe:

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/00119...ml#yourcomments

It is somewhat labor intensive but the taste was, in a word, exceptional.  I followed the recipe pretty closely as I usually do when making something new.  Next time, I'll throw herbs into the dough to improve the overall flavor.

I made three different doughs--one with high gluten bread flour, one with half bread dough and half all purpose flour, and one with only all purpose flour.  Consensus is that the best dough was the only all purpose flour. It cooked up nicer without that "bread-like" consistency. My next plan is to order some of that Italian 00 flour and see if there's a difference.

1365565[/snapback]

Bread Bakers Apprentice, where this recipe originated, is an outstanding book for bakers of all types of bread. I recommend it highly. The author, Peter Reinhart, also has a book called American Pie that is Pizza specific, which is absolutely brilliant, Both are "must-owns" for people who want to have a decent cookbook collection. :D

well, it's more convenient.You can't screw it up and you know you're gonna like it if you get it somewhere you know.I can see the fun in experimenting with other recipes,just thought I'd put it out there.

1374150[/snapback]

you are accurate in your comments. however, I am like a knight of the round table, questing for my grail, creating the perfect pizza crust at home.

Do you ever do pizza on the egg?

I'd be interested in hearing some tips on creating pizza on the grill, to give it that wood fired crisp crust you can get in restaurants.

1376784[/snapback]

yes--that is also an experiment in progress. I bring my pizza stone and put it on the Egg and get it up to 650. The problem is that the Egg is imparted too smoky of a flavor IMO. I need to try it without adding wood to the charcoal to see if that decreases the smoky flavor while allowing me to get the brick oven flavor. I had one pizza that came out very good, but it had very strong flavors--(much carmelized onion and garlic that was not overwhelmed by the smoke.