[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings Improving with Former Packers

Super Twinky

Well they see these guys twice a year and know the team well. Longwell has been around forever kicking important kicks against MN. Last year they nabbed Darren Sharper which really helped the Vikings on defense. They knew what he was capable of because of some big games he had against MN as well. I just hope they can grab Javon. Not going to happen....I know.

I'm not really seeing your point Twinkey. The Packers are a team in near ruins and their best players are jumping ship. Are you saying that the teams that pick up those players are in worse shape than the Packers? :D

I'm not really seeing your point Twinkey.  The Packers are a team in near ruins and their best players are jumping ship.  Are you saying that the teams that pick up those players are in worse shape than the Packers?   :D

1366466[/snapback]

Jumping ship from one burning ship to another? Maybe Walker would, but the rest of the FA's want to be re-signed for the most part. If the Packers wanted these players and thought they were worth keeping, they would simply re-sign them. We gots da money.

What I am getting at is that the Vikings have made it a habit of getting the Packer's scraps over the years. Whatever players and staff aren't retained on the Pack, the Vikes often seem to jump in an scoop them up like candy.

That's all I'm saying...

Edited by Super Twinky

Paying Longwell and dumping Edinger seems like break even for me. Edinger actually has a stronger leg and both did about the same last year.

Sharper is a Lawyer Milloy type move. He still has gas left in the tank but it was a salary cap move.

Jumping ship from one burning ship to another?

1366490[/snapback]

But the Vikings have shown that they are aggressively going after the talent that they need to take the team to the next level. The Packers have shown almost the opposite inclination the past couple of years.

What I am getting at is that the Vikings have made it a habit of getting the Packer's scraps over the years.  Whatever players and staff aren't retained on the Pack, the Vikes often seem to jump in an scoop them up like candy.

1366490[/snapback]

It's hard to make that argument here given that the Vikings have new Ownership and a new Coaching Staff. Although if there is any kind of trend at all, I think it might just boil down to the fact that inter-Divisional signings could benefit the team, as the player in question would have first-hand knowledge and familiarity with the schemes of your Divisional foe. That's why so many trades tend to be with teams outside of the Division (or even the Conference).

Are the players really scraps? Maybe. Or maybe they just don't look as apetizing to you once they put on that purple jersey. :D

Although if there is any kind of trend at all, I think it might just boil down to the fact that inter-Divisional signings could benefit the team, as the player in question would have first-hand knowledge and familiarity with the schemes of your Divisional foe.  That's why so many trades tend to be with teams outside of the Division (or even the Conference).

1366602[/snapback]

When Tony Dungy was in Tampa he did it too. He could help his team and screw the opposition at the same time. :D

Guest Sores
But the Vikings have shown that they are aggressively going after the talent that they need to take the team to the next level.  The Packers have shown almost the opposite inclination the past couple of years.

It's hard to make that argument here given that the Vikings have new Ownership and a new Coaching Staff.  Although if there is any kind of trend at all, I think it might just boil down to the fact that inter-Divisional signings could benefit the team, as the player in question would have first-hand knowledge and familiarity with the schemes of your Divisional foe.  That's why so many trades tend to be with teams outside of the Division (or even the Conference).

Are the players really scraps?  Maybe.  Or maybe they just don't look as apetizing to you once they put on that purple jersey.    :D

1366602[/snapback]

While the Packers didn't go aggressively after FA's last year, they signed Klemm (who was thought to be a very good signing at the time, comparing his mobility and athletisism to Wahle - though not his strength), who didn't work out. They signed O'Dwyer who was strong as an ox, but couldn't get healthy in camp. They lost to injury - Javon Walker, Ahman Green, Najeh Davenport, Mike Flanagan, Robert Ferguson, Terrance Murphy, Bubba Franks, David Martin - on offense alone.

In '06, they have signed Seattle's starting safety (whom Seattle made every attempt to keep), Aaron Kampman (who was on most FA lists in the top 10 available....I saw him as high as 4), signed Ahman Green to a low-ball contract and lost a 32 year old kicker, dumped an injury prone LB who didn't fit the system, have an injured WR - with great talent - who is disgruntled, and might lose their 3rd string QB.

Kudos to the Vikes for signing Hutch to an offer sheet....but Chester Taylor is no Ahman Green. Ryan Longwell is a kicker with a weak KO leg, Ben Leber is good...but no superstar. They lost Brian Williams and Corey Chavous, the latter being a solid veteran whom they will miss. And lets not forget that they traded Moss for a LB that played 29% of defensive snaps last year and a WR that played 31% of offensive snaps. They are going to get squat for Daunte. The Sharper signing was solid but Smoot was very vulnerable in that secondary making it a wash.

I don't think either team has been crushed lately, though the loss of Moss and Cpep is much worse than any of the Packer's losses ....I don't either team has really made major strides.