[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packer's Secondary will get Boost

Guest Sores

Guest Sores

Mike Hawkins is as fast as anyone in the league...with some added bulk, he will be able to play stronger press coverage and be more of a factor in stopping the running game of the opponent. Collins could end up being the best draft pick of the Sherman years (Javon (One Year Wonder) Walker excluded)

Cornerback Mike Hawkins, a fifth-round draft pick in 2005, has made adding muscle a major priority for the 2006 season. Hawkins played in 11 games last year. At times the raw player with only one year of college experience displayed his speed -- timed at 4.28 in the 40 during one pre-draft workout.

Hawkins, however, missed four games due to ankle, knee and groin injuries. He has spent the offseason working out in Dallas and said the added strength will better protect him from injury this year. Hawkins, who weighed 175 pounds last year, now tips the scales at 191.

"I got a lot stronger," Hawkins said. "I'm trying to come in and make a big impact this year."

Because of his strength and speed combination, Nick Collins, a second-round pick last year, can play either safety or cornerback. He started all 16 games at safety last year, but the 5-11, 200-pounder has the coverage skills to handle defensive coordinator Bob Sanders' bump-and-run system.

Although the coaching staff has not broached that position change to him, Collins said he will line up wherever is best for the team.

"It doesn't matter to me. If they want to make that change, it's going to be up to the coaches," Collins said. "I'm comfortable where I'm at right now."

Regardless of where they play and at what position, both Hawkins and Collins could steady a secondary for years to come.

"The sky's the limit," Hawkins said.

Oh yeah, I remember him now. I didn't know this-

"Is the cousin of a pair of NBA players, the Nuggets’ Kenyon Martin and the Bucks’ T.J. Ford (the uncle of Hawkins’ mother is Ford’s father)"