[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chiefs have Bernard and Allen visiting

Hat Trick

Chiefs receive visits from two free agents

By ADAM TEICHERThe Kansas City Star

The Chiefs made their first moves in free agency, but it’s unclear whether the visits from Seattle defensive tackle Rocky Bernard and Giants cornerback Will Allen mean they are real shoppers or merely looking.

Neither president/general manager Carl Peterson nor coach Herm Edwards was available to answer questions. Peterson last week said the Chiefs would sit out free agency’s opening flurry and not be major players in the market.

Both players would fill a need. Starting defensive tackle Lional Dalton is a free agent. Peterson said the Chiefs would try to re-sign Dalton, but his departure would leave them short at the position.

Bernard was a part-time starter in his four seasons with the Seahawks and shared the snaps last year with three other defensive tackles. But Bernard is a strong pass rusher, something the Chiefs lacked in the middle of their line. He was second on the Seahawks last season with 8 1/2 sacks.

The Chiefs last week released former starting cornerbacks Eric Warfield and Dexter McCleon, leaving them without an obvious starting candidate to pair with Patrick Surtain.

Their other cornerbacks are Benny Sapp, Julian Battle and Alphonso Hodge. They prefer Sapp as their nickel back. Battle had problems establishing himself even before missing all of last season with a torn Achilles tendon. Hodge rarely played as a rookie last year.

Allen was a five-year starter, but the Giants made no effort to re-sign him when he became an unrestricted free agent. He was recently replaced when the Giants signed former Dolphin cornerback Sam Madison.

Allen paid a visit to the Seahawks over the weekend. The trip to Kansas City is Bernard’s first as a free agent.

Guest Cherni

Will Allen is a great athlete and he's pretty dependable to be on the field on Sunday. That being said, he probably has some of the worst hands I've ever seen. If he had just one good hand he would probably be one of the league leaders in INT's. Unfortunately, he doesn't. I've watched him play for a few years and I think he made one big play during his Giants tenure. He's not a terrible corner, you just can't depend on him to make plays. :D

Will Allen is a great athlete and he's pretty dependable to be on the field on Sunday. That being said, he probably has some of the worst hands I've ever seen. If he had just one good hand he would probably be one of the league leaders in INT's. Unfortunately, he doesn't. I've watched him play for a few years and I think he made one big play during his Giants tenure. He's not a terrible corner, you just can't depend on him to make plays. :D

1368394[/snapback]

Sounds like SHAQ. If he could hit free throws it would be illegal for him to play basketball. Guess that what even him out then.

Guest Cherni
Sounds like SHAQ.  If he could hit free throws it would be illegal for him to play basketball.  Guess that what even him out then.

1368494[/snapback]

LOL, I would hardly compare Will Allen to Shaq. I hear what you're saying but Allen isn't a dominant force like Shaq. He's not a great tackler and he can't blitz. I know he's a corner and blitzing isn't THAT important, but it's a nice skill to have.