[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packer's WR Situation

Guest Sores

Guest Sores

Packers WR circa 2005

(+)1. Javon Walker - Coming off Pro Bowl year

(+)2. Donald Driver - Great #2 receiver

(+)3. Robert Ferguson - Viewed as coming on strong...challenger for the #2 spot

(+)4. Terrence Murphy - High upside rookie

(=)5. Antonio Chatman - cute little returner who can catch a slant and fall down

Current Packer WR situation

(-)1. Javon Walker - ripped up knee, threatening retirement

(-)2. Donald Driver - Great #2 receiver - but a year older

(-)3. Robert Ferguson - failed in his chance to perform last year

(-)4. Terrence Murphy - narrowing of the spinal column - probably shouldn't play again

(na)5. ?

A position that was a team strength only a year ago is now definitely a need position.

The Packers are making a strong push to re-sign UFA Rod Gardner who has proven to be no better than a #3 at this point in his career. I think they should go after RFA Nate Burleson and at the very least push his price up for the Vikings. Frighteningly, the only other real option in free agency at this point is Reche Caldwell.

I think they should go after RFA Nate Burleson and at the very least push his price up for the Vikings.  Frighteningly, the only other real option in free agency at this point is Reche Caldwell.

1370990[/snapback]

Well, aren't Curtis and MacDonald and Quincy Morgan available too? Any interest there?

Guest Sores
Well, aren't Curtis and MacDonald and Quincy Morgan available too? Any interest there?

1371013[/snapback]

Of the 3, only Curtis would draw my interest...he, like Burleson is restricted and you would have to really overpay to get him away from the Rams.

Of the 3, only Curtis would draw my interest...he, like Burleson is restricted and you would have to really overpay to get him away from the Rams.

1371031[/snapback]

I believe Curtis and McDonald are restricted or transitioned.

Maybe the Pack will shock the world and sign TO. They have plenty of money, can get some help on the OL and give Favre one last chance at a Super Bowl.

For those of you against this move, can it really make them any worse than they will be next year even if TO blows up again?

Edited by Men In Tights

Guest Sores
Maybe the Pack will shock the world and sign TO.  They have plenty of money, can get some help on the OL and give Favre one last chance at a Super Bowl. 

For those of you against this move, can it really make them any worse than they will be next year even if TO blows up again?

1371064[/snapback]

I would be all for signing TO. I think he is a "young" 32. He keeps himself in amazing shape and even if Favre retired, would give Rogers a big, open target to throw to.

Is he a cancer - sure. But he improves the team on the field. McCarthy is supposed to be a tough, no nonsense sorta guy....give him a chance to reign T.O. in!

Maybe the Pack will shock the world and sign TO.  They have plenty of money, can get some help on the OL and give Favre one last chance at a Super Bowl. 

1371064[/snapback]

I'm not so much against the Pack signing TO, I'm just against TO period! I'm not sure I could even root for him if he would be signed.

Besides.....TO isn't gonna want a rookie (basically),who didn't even get any playing time last year when the season was clearly shot, throwing him the ball.

Guest Sores
I'm not so much against the Pack signing TO,  I'm just against TO period!  I'm not sure I could even root for him if he would be signed.

Besides.....TO isn't gonna want a rookie (basically),who didn't even get any playing time last year when the season was clearly shot,  throwing him the ball.

1371399[/snapback]

........ah....but he has gone out on a limb and said he DOES want Favre throwing him the ball....

I would be all for signing TO.  I think he is a "young" 32.  He keeps himself in amazing shape and even if Favre retired, would give Rogers a big, open target to throw to.

Is he a cancer - sure.  But he improves the team on the field.  McCarthy is supposed to be a tough, no nonsense sorta guy....give him a chance to reign T.O. in!

1371186[/snapback]

For 1 year he would probably be great. After that it's twilight zone territory. :D

Green Bay DID retain Rod Gardner - that gives them depth but still no true #1, though I've seen worse WRs than Driver be cast in that role.

Right now, I'd be VERY surprised if Murphy or Walker contributed at all for the first 8 games next year.