[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Great Article on why J. Walker Blows

Guest Sores

Guest Sores

Walker playing a game he just can't win

Posted: Mar. 15, 2006

Richard Pufall

Welcome to Javon Walker II, subtitled "Whiny wide receiver bites the hand that feeds him . . . again."

This time, Walker has vowed that he has played his final game for the Green Bay Packers.

"I just don't feel like this is the best place for me to be right now," Walker told ESPN.com. "I really have no interest in being in a Green Bay Packers uniform or playing for Green Bay again. If I had to go back there, I'd retire. I don't have to play."

Us mortals who live in the real world must understand two things about Javon Walker and all the members of his fraternity: 1, We don't understand them. 2, We never will.

You thought maybe you had seen the end to this behavior when Walker dumped Drew Rosenhaus as his agent. It was the evil Rosenhaus who had advised Walker to bail on minicamps last year, then threaten to hold out into the season if he didn't get a new, much fatter contract from the Packers.

But Walker turned in a sluggish, uneven training camp. And in Week 1 of the season Walker tore the ACL in his right knee at Ford Field in Detroit and was lost for the season. Against the Lions, Walker caught four passes for 27 yards. And those were his season totals.

In 2005 Walker caught just as many touchdown passes for the Packers as your aunt Sylvia. That would be none. Zip. Zero. But aunt Sylvia never drew a penny from the Packers' treasure chest.

For playing part of just one game, the Packers paid Walker a base salary of $515,000. Of course, Walker was entitled to that money. And the Packers, as the rules dictate, lived up to their part of the bargain.

Certainly, no one can blame Walker for getting injured. These things happen in the violent world of professional football. But it's also true that part of a player's value to his team is linked to his availability. (See Brett Favre). The best player in the league isn't as good as the worst if he's injured and out for the season. That's cold, but it's true.

Part of Walker's problem with the Packers is Favre, the team leader who still hasn't announced whether he's returning for 2006. When Walker waged his feud with the Packers last year, Favre spoke out against him, because Walker had two years remaining on his contract.

"There's an unwritten rule that players stick together." said Walker, who is entering the final year of the five-year, $6.7 million contract that he signed in 2002.

Walker has had just one great season to hang his helmet on since the Packers drafted him with their No. 1 pick in 2002. He was brilliant in 2004, catching 89 passes for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns.

By all accounts, Walker's latest outburst - like last season's - is out of character. The talented receiver is well-liked by his coaches and teammates. He's not considered a trouble-maker. He's no Terrell Owens. And maybe that's why some think this latest ploy is just more posturing and grandstanding to get the big contract he really wants.

It's interesting that Walker's latest complaints surfaced shortly after the NFL's salary cap ballooned to a robust $103.737 million, a hike of more than $7.5 million.

A year ago after stiffing minicamps Walker said, "I hope something does come around. I do love the Packers. I would love to be there for the rest of my career . . . "

Now, it seems to be a love lost.

Curiously, you never heard Walker offer to return any money to the Packers when he underachieved in the first two years of his contract. Walker was paid $5.235 million over those first two seasons. During that time he caught just 64 passes for 1,035 yards and 10 touchdowns. Nice numbers for a No. 3 wide receiver, but not your go-to guy.

In asking to be traded, Walker seems to have lost sight of who he is and how he is perceived by his own team and the rest of the NFL. No one knows how his surgically repaired right knee will respond to the rigors of the new season. Any team would trade for the 2004 Walker model. And the Packers, to be sure, would do all they could to retain the services of such a player. But no team wants to gamble high stakes on a lame thoroughbred.

Walker's Pro Bowl year of 2004 is history. He can't expect the Packers or any team to pay him for what he did two years ago. It's what he will do in 2006 that matters. So Walker is in the "show-'em" phase of his career. And he can't show 'em if he sits out the season.

Walker could learn a valuable lesson from his teammate, Ahman Green. If ever there was a player who could point to yesterday for tomorrow's paycheck it's Green. For five years before his ill-fated, injury shortened 2005 season, no back in the NFL put up better all-around numbers than Green.

When Green tore up his right thigh tendon at the Metrodome against Minnesota in Week 7 he also lost his chance for a big payday entering unrestricted free agency.

But Green re-signed with the Packers, accepting a one-year, $2 million contract, which includes a $500,000 signing bonus as the only guaranteed money. If Green does not fully recover or doesn't play well enough to make the team, the Packers won't owe him a penny more.

In 2005, Green was paid a base salary of $4.375 million as part of a five-year, $21.5 million deal he signed before the 2001 season. Before his injury he was chasing a contract that would reward him for being the most productive runner in the NFL from 2000-'04, when he gained 6,848 yards.

"I want to be here and finish my career here as a Packer," Green said.

But Javon Walker wasn't listening.

There is no question the Packers need Walker, vintage 2004. His loss was a big reason for Green Bay's miserable 4-12 finish and had much to do with Favre throwing 29 interceptions.

But if Walker really doesn't want to play in Green Bay, the Packers are left with only one choice:

Let him go and find someone who does.

It's really this simple. Walker doesn't get along with his current employer and no longer wants to work for them. We've all been there and can relate I'm sure. If he really, really just can't stand to work for them anymore, he'll retire. There's nothing anyone can do about that. The days of indentured servitude and slavery are long gone in this country. He's his own man.

Would he be making a mistake? I happen to think so, but this isn't an unprecedented incident. I think there's been the case of a modern day RB doing just that. Barry Sanders was his name.

But can you imagine shutting up for one year and getting a million bucks for working? I just find it really hard to accept that a player as young as he is does not see just how much money he is leaving on the table for his principles.

But can you imagine shutting up for one year and getting a million bucks for working? I just find it really hard to accept that a player as young as he is does not see just how much money he is leaving on the table for his principles.

1372451[/snapback]

I totally agree with you on that DMD and that's why I said I happen to think he would be making a mistake.

But if he's dead set on no longer working for his employer :D

2002 gnb | 15 | 23 319 13.9 1

2003 gnb | 16 | 41 716 17.5 9

2004 gnb | 16 | 89 1382 15.5 12

Javon stats were on the rise before he got hurt last year...he has outperformed his contract and I'm sure didn't want the lame duck year...which he has now.

Favre should have minded his own business. What he did was wrong, you should never mess with another man's money.

All Javon wants is the security of a new contract, because he knows firsthand all it takes is one play. Hope he gets paid.

That's all good but with recievers, it is sometimes hard to separate what is him and what is because of his quarterback. I would suspect where ever he goes, he will not have as good a QB nor as good a situation.

Who knows? Favre has said if GB gets more involved in free agency, he would return. Personally, I just want him to make up his mind pronto. This is ridiculous, even for Favre.

All Javon wants is the security of a new contract, because he knows firsthand all it takes is one play.  Hope he gets paid.

1372455[/snapback]

Poor Javon. He has one year remaining and when done will sign for more than he is worth if he has a good year. He should play and then get paid.

Right now he is getting paid $32,000 per game. That is more than many people make in a year.

What Favre said is he is going about getting a aise in the wrong way. It was an opinion.

Guest Sores

1372451[/snapback]

He DID score a 7 on the Wonderlic. :D

That's all good but with recievers, it is sometimes hard to separate what is him and what is because of his quarterback. I would suspect where ever he goes, he will not have as good a QB nor as good a situation.

1372472[/snapback]

We'd take him in Miami...

...and that lipstick avi you have there DMD looks awfully like a bullett. What Gives?

I would suspect where ever he goes, he will not have as good a QB nor as good a situation.

1372472[/snapback]

How about Philly, in an offense he already knows, with McNabb tossing the rock?

There are a variety of places he could end up (Seattle, Philly, Dallas, KC) whose prospects are better than Green Bay's at this point.

It's really this simple. Walker doesn't get along with his current employer and no longer wants to work for them. We've all been there and can relate I'm sure. If he really, really just can't stand to work for them anymore, he'll retire. There's nothing anyone can do about that. The days of indentured servitude and slavery are long gone in this country. He's his own man.

Would he be making a mistake? I happen to think so, but this isn't an unprecedented incident. I think there's been the case of a modern day RB doing just that. Barry Sanders was his name.

1372448[/snapback]

He's not going to retire. nobody's that dumb. what else would he do? especially considering his 7 wonderlic score. he'll eventually force a trade.

1372448[/snapback]

Slavery playing a game you love for half a million a year? That's pretty rich. Play out the season and then leave.

1372448[/snapback]

I don't recall Barry being nearly as vocal about the Lions treating him bad and wanting more money, etc, etc. Barry retired presumably because his drive for the game was gone ... not his desire to play somewhere else. That was shown by the fact that he didn't come back or seem to entertain the thought. Does it show at least an inkling of a precedent? yes. But not what Walker is trying to accomplish.

2002 gnb |  15 |  23    319  13.9    1

2003 gnb |  16 |  41    716  17.5    9

2004 gnb |  16 |  89  1382  15.5  12

Javon stats were on the rise before he got hurt last year...he has outperformed his contract and I'm sure didn't want the lame duck year...which he has now.

1372455[/snapback]

The author was intentionally misleading the readers when he said that Walker "underachieved" in '02 and '03. Aside from the fact that most receivers don't reach their potential until their third year in the NFL, Walker was a #3 receiver in his first two years. Those numbers aren't bad for a third option, especially given how often the Packers throw to their TEs in the red zone. Walker's '02 and '03 numbers are just fine.

But I do agree that the blaming of Favre for Walker's situation is absolutely ridiculous. His job is to win, not to given a d@mn about Walker's contract. Javon's a grown man a it was his decision (not Favre's) to end the holdout.

Slavery playing a game you love for half a million a year? That's pretty rich. Play out the season and then leave.

1372755[/snapback]

You've missed the point here Randall. The poitn was that Walker cannot be forced work for his current employer, if he really doesn't want to.

I don't recall Barry being nearly as vocal about the Lions treating him bad and wanting more money, etc, etc.  Barry retired presumably because his drive for the game was gone ... not his desire to play somewhere else.  That was shown by the fact that he didn't come back or seem to entertain the thought.  Does it show at least an inkling of a precedent? yes.  But not what Walker is trying to accomplish.

1372953[/snapback]

junebugz,

You've completely misinterpreted what I was saying. I was not comparing Javon Walker's behavior, to Barry Sanders behavior. What I was comparing and saying that the precedent has been set before by Barry Sanders, is that if Walker wants to, he can retire. He cannot be forced to play for the Pack, if he absolutely, positively does not want to.

I'd think it would be a big mistake if he did that....but if that's what he wants to do, nobody can stop him. :D

The new CBA now protects players money who retire;

Teams can't do a Ricky Williams and go back and collect signing bonuses, performance bonuses or escalators earned in past years. Williams quit the Dolphins to live a temporary life of smoking dope and healing holistically. The Dolphins gave him an $8.4 million bill because of the forfeiture language in his contract. Not anymore.

• If a player retires and skips a good portion of the season against a team's wishes, the team must take him back under his existing contract and can't force him to give back any of the signing bonus. If the team wants to fight him for portions of the signing bonus, it has to release him and give him a chance to find another team.

ESPN article on new rules for player discipline

why does the NFL even use contracts :D

if its not the players saying i want it reworked its the owners saying nah we dont need you so you aint getting the $8mill the contract is for

contracts in the NFL are jokes

Edited by keggerz

junebugz,

You've completely misinterpreted what I was saying. I was not comparing Javon Walker's behavior, to Barry Sanders behavior. What I was comparing and saying that the precedent has been set before by Barry Sanders, is that if Walker wants to, he can retire. He cannot be forced to play for the Pack, if he absolutely, positively does not want to.

I'd think it would be a big mistake if he did that....but if that's what he wants to do, nobody can stop him. :D

The new CBA now protects players money who retire;

ESPN article on new rules for player discipline

1373086[/snapback]

:D

why does the NFL even use contracts  :D

if its not the players saying i want it reworked its the owners saying nah we dont need you so you aint getting the $8mill the contract is for

contracts in the NFL are jokes

1373101[/snapback]

Genius, someone gets it...they are all one year contracts with a team option each and every year. The system works for them, but I have no problem with players asking for money

Edited by mggoilers

"There's an unwritten rule that players stick together."

Funny comment from a guy who threatened to hold out last year. How about sticking together with the rest of the team ON THE FIELD! I wish the owners would have taken the time during the CBA talks to agree to never sign guys who pull this I won't play here anymore BS.

Genius, someone gets it...they are all one year contracts with a team option each and every year.  The system works for them, but I have no problem with players asking for money

1373205[/snapback]

i know how the system works it is just a sham to call them contracts the way they are treated is all...

i guess in the end its the players faults for being stupid and accpeting "1 YR" Deals

in a sport where the career span is so short maybe they "both NFL & players" would be better off with guaranteed money...that would do a few things...

it would force owners to spend a bit more fiscally and the fact the money would be guaranteed it would more then likely cause the salaries to actually decrease to offset the losses owners may incur due to career ending injuries etc...

i know it would never work but just a thought