[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Superbowl Betting Question

Duchess Jack

Another thread mentioned that the Dolphins are 11-1 to win the big game. My understanding of this is that $1 will get you $11 if they win, but....

Can I bet $110 for them to not win the bowl and get $10 back?

Just curious because I'd do that every year if I could. A cool grand every year saying that they will not win the Superbowl and if they win, its money well spent.

Another thread mentioned that the Dolphins are 11-1 to win the big game.  My understanding of this is that $1 will get you $11 if they win, but....

Can I bet $110 for them to not win the bowl and get $10 back?

Just curious because I'd do that every year if I could.  A cool grand every year saying that they will not win the Superbowl and if they win, its money well spent.

1372645[/snapback]

Bets like betting on a team to win the Super Bowl are called proposition bets, and the SB controls the conditions. They are a big money maker for the SB, because they are one sided. The bettor can not take the other side. So they do not have to worry about getting the line set in the beginning, or adjusting the line or odds as money comes in.

If they were going to set it up as a bet that you could take either side on, then they would do it like a money line bet, and it would look like this: +1100 -900, where you either bet 100 to win 1100 (if the fins win) or you bet 900 to win 100, if the fins do not win.

The only way that they would do this is if there was a great deal of interest, and there would be a large volume of betting. Even then, it is not likely on something like a Super Bowl bet, as the timeline is way too long. This means that there are way to many variables to take into account. Keep in mind, the key to be a good sports book or bookie for that matter, is not knowing anything about sports, it is knowing everything about money management and a great deal about odds and human psychology.

No, he's saying if he bets against his favorite team it's win-win.  Either he wins money or his dolphins win the SB, hence win-win.

1372777[/snapback]

I know what he's TRYING to say, but:

1. If he wins his bet and Dolphins lose, its "win-lose", or:

2. If he loses his bet and Dolphins win, it is also "win-lose".

He breaks even both ways...win one, lose one...hence "win-lose" scenario.

Win-win would be if he won both ends. Thats why when they use the term "win-win" there are no losers.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

I know what he's TRYING to say, but:

1. If he wins his bet and Dolphins lose, its "win-lose",  or:

2. If he loses his bet and Dolphins win, it is also "win-lose".

He breaks even both ways...win one, lose one...hence "win-lose" scenario.

Win-win would be if he won both ends. Thats why when they use the term "win-win" there are no losers.

1373112[/snapback]

I suggest you gain a better understanding of the english language and all it's "hidden" meanings. You are wrong.