[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

An angry Bears fan finally spouts off....

Pope Flick

I'd rather have Kerry Collins at this point. He might be dumb, but from what I've heard Griese is an bad person, which doesn't tranlsate well to Chicago fan acceptance.

1375122[/snapback]

Bad person? I just recall him getting drunk a few times in Denver. What else is there?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard that he is a bad person. :D

I've heard two "knocks" on Griese from his days in Denver. The drinking thing that VoteQuimby2 mentioned is one of them. Cut Griese some slack there. He had to replace John Elway and the fans just never accepted him no matter how well he played. Talk about pressure.

The other thing is his personality. He is not a fiery and outspoken type, and doesn't hang out with his teammates much inside or outside the locker room. I don't think he is considered rude, but he keeps to himself, which I think is his choice.

I think he would make a nice backup for the Bears. He was 5-1 in Tampa last season before he went down with that knee injury. He also seemed to be good for two TD passes a game.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

You've mentioned a few big names on your wish list.  Maybe there's other players available on the cheap but as good.  Let Danny boy get the big names and the other teams get the results.

1373831[/snapback]

Ok? I think the Redskins and Danny Boy made the playoffs this past year. Did the Vikings? I don't think they did. I think Viking fans were :D most of the year. I think they will be :D as long as Brad Johnson is their starting qb.

Ok? I think the Redskins and Danny Boy made the playoffs this past year. Did the Vikings? I don't think they did. I think Viking fans were  :D  most of the year. I think they will be :D  as long as Brad Johnson is their starting qb.

1375613[/snapback]

Yeah, well at least the Vikings didn't give up THREE draft picks to acquire Opie. :D

Acquired by Washington in trade (2/15/99) from Minnesota for 1999 first-round and third-round draft choices and a 2000 second-round pick.

The Bears are fine, just let the young players get better. Grossman, Benson, and Bradley will come around-just need to make sure they draft a good TE. Can't wait to watch them play this year!

The Bears are fine, just let the young players get better. Grossman, Benson, and Bradley will come around-just need to make sure they draft a good TE. Can't wait to watch them play this year!

1375926[/snapback]

Are you Mike McCaskey?

1375926[/snapback]

I'm done waiting on Grossman. "Potential" doesn't win Championships. It's been time to give up on him and move on. Bears are a run-run team. When Grossman is in at QB, it's like we automatically assume we have a Colt's offense. We don't. All Chicago needs is ball control to let the defense rest. Throwing 3 incomplete passes does not accomplish that goal. I'm done with the whole "Grossman is hurt. What do we do now" garbage we've had to go through the past 2 seasons.

I'm done waiting on Grossman.  "Potential" doesn't win Championships.  It's been time to give up on him and move on.  Bears are a run-run team.  When Grossman is in at QB, it's like we automatically assume we have a Colt's offense.  We don't.  All Chicago needs is ball control to let the defense rest.  Throwing 3 incomplete passes does not accomplish that goal.  I'm done with the whole "Grossman is hurt.  What do we do now" garbage we've had to go through the past 2 seasons.

1376300[/snapback]

I'm with you 100%. :D:D And we still don't know what we have in Grossman.

I say throw a ton of money at Griese and sign him. If Grossman goes down again, throw Griese in and don't look back. Griese is not the greatest QB in the league, but he is a veteran. I don't want them to draft a QB and have to start over again.

The Bears sell out all their seats

The Bears have a new stadium with lucrative revenue streams

The Bears have lucrative local contracts for radio etc

The Bears have their share of NFL national TV contracts

The Bears are $17 million under the cap.

So, tell me once again why the McCaskeys are incentivized in any way to spend any of that $17m when they can't possibly increase their profits if they do, only decrease them?

I don't care much about Griese's personality. All I care about is that knee and can it hold up. I would love to see the Bears get Volek or Schaub. That would be great. I dunno if I am totally done with Grossman but we need someone else, no doubt about it. How can people totally cut ties with Grossman? I know it sounds stupid, but I think you have to give him another chance. He has been unlucky, I don't care what people say. Give him a chance and put some talent around him. Then decide. Either way, Angelo is going down in flames with Grossman. He doesn't wanna give anyone else a shot; Grossman is his guy till the end.

What are people's thoughts on the Bears drafting a TE in the first round? Is this really the way to go? I would love for them to nab a guy like Michael Huff. He isn't gonna fall though probably. Also, maybe it's because of my OSU love but Santonio Holmes would be great too. Another guy who could be a steal later in the draft is Devin Hester from Miami; the guy is a gamebreaker who played both sides of the ball and was an amazing returner.

Edited by Goopster24

I don't see how you can sitck with Grossman when he's had 3 different injuries in 3 years (not a single, nagging one). Taht's the definition of 'fragile.'

If I'm not mistake, Orton made more starts in his one season than Grossman has his entire career. Although watching Orton struggle was only made passable because he was a rook, you do remember Jonathon Quinn - don't you?

Darin made another good point: why does everyone think Grossman has become John Elway in the hospital and his healthy return is the only thing keeping this team down? He's made of glass. End of story. Dump him for something and move on......

Although we wouldn't get much seeing as how Ramsey went from a 1st Rd pick to a dump for 6th rounder.....anyone remember the Bears being offered Ramsey for a 2nd rounder only last year (in the wake of Grossman's 3rd injury)?

I don't see how you can sitck with Grossman when he's had 3 different injuries in 3 years (not a single, nagging one). Taht's the definition of 'fragile.'

1376890[/snapback]

That's also the definition of 'unlucky'.

1376892[/snapback]

Thank you.

Orton did have more starts than Grossman but that is no reason do "dump him". Get some veteran who can play and draft a young QB in the later rounds. They can't just start from scratch. If they can get a Billy Volek or Matt Schaub then you bring him to compete with Grossman. Will Angelo do this? No, he doesn't want to hurt Grossman's pschye; that's what pisses me off. Either way, we gotta see what we have with Grossman. I don't see how people can think he was awful when he played; he is essentially a rookie. He looked decent for that.

Edited by Goopster24

What are people's thoughts on the Bears drafting a TE in the first round? Is this really the way to go?

1376759[/snapback]

I think so. I believe the Bears offense could turn into something semi-dangerous with a QB that can play 16 games a season and a Jason Witten type TE. I've never been too impressed with Clark or Gilmore. Our OL is pretty stout, our RB situation is stacked, WRs are serviceable. Would be nice to find a great TE with our first and a gem in a WR in the late rounds.

I think so.  I believe the Bears offense could turn into something semi-dangerous with a QB that can play 16 games a season and a Jason Witten type TE.  I've never been too impressed with Clark or Gilmore.  Our OL is pretty stout, our RB situation is stacked, WRs are serviceable.  Would be nice to find a great TE with our first and a gem in a WR in the late rounds.

1376901[/snapback]

I am in love with Vernon Davis. I think the Bears need to try and move up if possible. The guy is a stud, plain and simple. I never was that impressed with the guy from UCLA. The Georgia guy is a project in my opinion.

I am in love with Vernon Davis. I think the Bears need to try and move up if possible. The guy is a stud, plain and simple. I never was that impressed with the guy from UCLA. The Georgia guy is a project in my opinion.

1376902[/snapback]

Vernon is a stud. Mercedes is a heckuva receiving TE but, can't block if his life depended on it.

1376892[/snapback]

Cop out.

"Unlucky" at what? Having 3 different plays end with him being hit in a soft part of his body? Which injury involved him not even being touched? Was it the finger or the ankle? IIRC the most recent one, the knee, involved a bad roll up on it.

Fact is, if you go into camp with him and he gets hurt in ANY fashion, there Bears will look like fools. If he misses regular season starts due to injury in 2006, and the team is left with an appearance of scrambling for a viable backup Angelo must go.

My original post wanted a young QB to come in and compete for the starting spot. Now that it's not McCown (my #1 "needs a change of venue candidate") I think Schaub is a fine idea, but I don't think it's realistic with the VickIssues cooming up apparently. Volek? Hmm....I don't know: there's apparently something that Fisher (who I respect tremenodusly) doesn't like.

Frankly, I think we have gold in Orton, but he shouldn't take a snap this year - just wear the cap and hold the clipboard. That would be a good way to season him and build on what he knows. It'd be a little bass-ackwards but you've got to play the hand you're dealt. Sure he could 2nd string this year, but if you booksmart him instead this year I think you could cut him loose on 2007 and never look back.

Edited by Pope Flick

Cop out.

"Unlucky" at what? Having 3 different plays end with him being hit in a soft part of his body? Which injury involved him not even being touched? Was it the finger or the ankle? IIRC the most recent one, the knee, involved a bad roll up on it.

Fact is, if you go into camp with him and he gets hurt in ANY fashion, there Bears will look like fools. If he misses regular season starts due to injury in 2006, and the team is left with an appearance of scrambling for a viable backup Angelo must go.

My original post wanted a young QB to come in and compete for the starting spot. Now that it's not McCown (my #1 "needs a change of venue candidate") I think Schaub is a fine idea, but I don't think it's realistic with the VickIssues cooming up apparently. Volek? Hmm....I don't know: there's apparently something that Fisher (who I respect tremenodusly) doesn't like.

Frankly, I think we have gold in Orton, but he shouldn't take a snap this year - just wear the cap and hold the clipboard. That would be a good way to season him and build on what he knows. It'd be a little bass-ackwards but you've got to play the hand you're dealt. Sure he could 2nd string this year, but if you booksmart him instead this year I think you could cut him loose on 2007 and never look back.

1376923[/snapback]

I defintely agree with you on the fact that if Grossman gets injured, the Bears will look like fools. I also like Orton a great deal. My question is why not open up the competition between Grossman and Orton? You would have to think Orton has gotten better and will continue to (I think the same with Grossman though). With that though, bring in a veteran presence who doesn't mind not starting. He also will get a shot at starting. I know Orton still has a ways to go but so what? If we are all so down on Grossman, then give the boy from Iowa a chance. Just have a vet this time. Of course, like I said earlier, there is no way Angelo will do this. That's why I think it's time for him to go. His vision has gotten us this far so let's get someone new to take us over that hill.

Edited by Goopster24

My question is why not open up the competition between Grossman and Orton?

1376935[/snapback]

The problem is: if you eliminate the fragility of Grossman, he is a far superior QB to Orton. Grossman has a cannon and it's just a matter of time before he learns the skill of finesse. My problem is: I'm not willing to wait any longer on Grossman.

Grossman shouldn't be our starter. Orton shouldn't be our starter. Why they didn't give Blake a shot last year is unknown to me. It's time we start from Ground-Zero at QB.

The problem is: if you eliminate the fragility of Grossman, he is a far superior QB to Orton.  Grossman has a cannon and it's just a matter of time before he learns the skill of finesse.  My problem is: I'm not willing to wait any longer on Grossman.

Grossman shouldn't be our starter.  Orton shouldn't be our starter.  Why they didn't give Blake a shot last year is unknown to me.  It's time we start from Ground-Zero at QB.

1376955[/snapback]

I understand your frustration at the QB position but I just don't see how you can give up on Grossman and start from scratch. Bringing in a vet to play is one thing but drafting a young gun for our franchise is a whole another story. Keep them both, bring in a vet, see what you got, and then go from there. I'm not scared with Orton as our backup; especially if we bring in another serviceable vet.

Cop out.

1376923[/snapback]

Grossman wasn't touched (much) on the TD in the Metrodome. His cleats stuck in that pathetic turf, IIRC. I think you're reading way too much into the injuries - ever have a run of bad luck yourself?

That said, I would certainly support having a veteran on the sideline. There really is no excuse not to and Angelo should be run out of town on a rail if Grossman goes down and there is no good substitute.

But going back to the drawing board is not an option. The Bears window is right now and for another two/three years, while the rest of the NFC North is a shambles and the NFC is generally weak. We cannot afford to have a rookie at QB and although I applaud Orton for his efforts in 2005, it was pretty clear that he wasn't getting better after 10 games or whatever it was.

Can you sense the frustration? :D

The Bears have never been able to solve any problems at QB and their inability to draft and groom in the past causes major problems.

Grossman's injuries, IMO, have been more of a fluke than anything. Say what you will, but it is a personal opinion.

It's difficult to make a logical argument with this opinion, so it is somewhat shaky. But, is Carson Palmer injury prone? What do you say now, and what will you say if he gets hurt again within a couple of games of coming back? It's a slippery slope.

Grossman has to be given full reins this year and if he doesn't stay healthy for 14+ games, it's time to cut bait. I don't believe Orton is the answer either...not today, not in a few years--he's a great backup.

They should make a splash to get someone who will push Rex, but was McCown the answer? :D Who knows. Is Griese the answer? Sure, why not. Maybe a bigger play is in order, but we can't expect this to happen as Bears fans.

Regardless of QB, they need to target a TE that can play immediately in the NFL. If they don't think they'll get that, we don't want to waste a first round pick on a kid that will need a few years of time. A TE that starts immediately is Priority #1. If you can't find that, get the best CB you can get in the draft.

Very disgusted they sat on their hands and haven't spent much money at this point. :D

Two great posts above. No doubt that the Bears' window is within the next few years. They cannot go to the drawing board; it would be foolish to do so. Grossman has been unlucky and he hasn't shown anything in his game to not like him IMO. Grossman has to be given a chance but I think competition always is a good thing. Let Orton compete and like someone said earlier, Grossman is defintely the better QB. Bring in a vet too; maybe Griese would be nice. I would definitely take him if his knee is solid and that is a big IF. The Bears don't need to overspend at this position; they have many other needs as well.

I'm not doubting a TE would help the Bears; IMO, I think the TE is now one of the most important positions on the field. I would love Vernon Davis in a Bears uniform because he does just about everything amazing, not just well. If Grossman has a solid TE, this offense can definitely open up, even with those guys we like to call WR's we have.