[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wonderlic scores released

Randall

From ESPN Insider

The official scores from the Wonderlic Tests taken at the combine were released. As usual, there were some interesting results. Texas QB Vince Young did indeed take the test twice. The league has been tight-lipped regarding his first score, but the higher score of his two attempts was a 15. Young's score was bad, but not the worst of this year's quarterback class. That honor goes to Virginia Tech's Marcus Vick, who scored an 11 on the test.

A perfect score is 50, and the highest score any player posted in this year's class was a 41 (Oklahoma DT Dusty Dvoracek). The lowest score of this year's class was an eight (Syracuse DE Kader Drame, Alabama ILB Freddie Roach, Louisville DT Montavious Stanley, N.C. State TE T.J. Williams and Oklahoma DC Chijioke Onyenegecha), and the average score of all the quarterbacks was a 24.6.

The Wonderlic Personnel Test (WPT) is a short-form intelligence test that measures players' ability to think on their feet, follow directions and make effective decisions under pressure. While Young and Vick exposed their weaknesses in those areas, other quarterbacks shined. Grambling's Bruce Eugene (41), Montana State's Travis Lulay (37), USC's Matt Leinart (35) and Oregon's Kellen Clemens (35) all posted impressive scores.

Prospects at other positions who excelled include Ohio State OC Nick Mangold (35), Tulsa TE/FB Garrett Mills (35), Oregon LB Keith Ellison (36), Cal-Poly State DE Chris Gocong (36), Cornell OL Kevin Boothe (37), Virginia WR Marques Hagans (37), Stanford DT Babatunde Oshinowo (37) and Boston College OT Jeremy Trueblood (37).

Others didn't fare so well, such as Penn State DC Alan Zemaitis (9), Marshall DC Chris Hawkins (10), Miami DE Javon Nanton (10), South Carolina DS Ko Simpson (10), Central Missouri State WR Delanie Walker (10), Syracuse DE James Wyche (10), LSU WR/RS Skyler Green (11), Tennessee DB Jason Allen (11), Clemson DE Charles Bennett (11), Abilene Christian DB Danieal Manning (12), Texas Tech DS Dwayne Slay (12), South Florida RB Andre Hall (13), Pittsburgh DC Josh Lay (13), UCLA TE Marcedes Lewis (13), Mississippi State RB Jerious Norwood (13) and Tarleton State RB Derrick Ross (13).

Pro Days Report

The two most recent Pro Days were held at Florida State and UCLA on March 16th. The overall speed and athleticism of Florida State's prospects is impressive. Leading the charge was DC Antonio Cromartie, who missed all of last season with a knee injury, but elected to leave school early.

There are still questions regarding his rustiness, durability and technique, but Cromartie's physical tools are outstanding. After running two 40-yard dashes in the 4.3-range and notching 42 inches on the vertical jump, Cromartie could sneak into the latter portion of the first round. OLB Ernie Sims (5-foot-11, 234 pounds) and DE Kamerion Wimbley (6-4, 248 pounds) also impressed. Sims ran a 40-yard dash in the 4.4's, and Wimbley ran the short shuttle in 4.41 seconds.

TE Marcades Lewis was one of the players who helped his stock the most at UCLA's Pro Day, as he posted impressive times in the short shuttle (4.53) and long shuttle (12.62). Lewis also notched 22 reps on the standard 225-pound bench. Unfortunately, his below average speed and suspect blocking skills may prevent him from being selected in the first round. RB Maurice Drew, satisfied with his impressive times at the combine, participated only in the position drills. QB Drew Olson threw the ball well during passing drills, but his performance in the 40-yard dash (5.19) did not help his cause.

Other notable schools that hosted Pro Days this week include Alabama, Oregon State and South Carolina. At Alabama, OLB DeMeco Ryans helped his draft value by improving on his 40-yard dash times from the combine (4.69 and 4.72). He posted times of 4.64 and 4.65 this time around, while also displaying impressive quickness and instincts during position drills.

QB Brodie Croyle did not run, but was nearly flawless during his passing drills, impressing scouts in attendance with his arm strength and accuracy. ILB Freddie Roach did not help his cause by posting 40-yard dash times of 4.88 and 4.87, while only churning out 18 reps on the 225-pound bench press.

The Oregon State Pro Day was failry unimpressive. WR Mike Hass will likely still be a late-Day 1 or early-Day 2 prospect, but running the 40-yard dash in the 4.6-range did not help his cause. LBs Trent Bray (6-3, 227) and Keith Ellison (6-2, 230) were also uninspiring. Bray posted two miserable 40-yard dash times of 4.90 and 4.89, while Ellison ran in the 4.7-range. For undersized linebacker prospects, those times are especially damaging.

South Carolina's Pro Day provided some positive feedback. DC Jonathan Joseph and DS Ko Simpson both kept their excellent workout numbers from the combine, but impressed with their agility and quickness during position drills. However, the rest of the group was uninspiring. Most notably, RB/FB Daccus Turman ran the 40-yard dash in the 4.9-range and OT Jabary Levey pulled his hamstring during his run, which was timed at 6.01 seconds. Levey will run later in the month once he has healed.

Most scouts I've spoken to agree the most impressive Pro Day so far took place in Columbus, Ohio, where Ohio State prospects such as OLBs A.J. Hawk and Bobby Carpenter, DSs Donte Whitner and Nate Salley, WR Santonio Holmes, DC Ashton Youboty, ILB Anthony Schlegel and OT Rob Simms all turned in strong performances. The Ohio State track is notoriously fast, which is why NFL teams typically add one-tenth of a second to each of the 40-yard dash times.

Regardless, the 40-yard dash times turned in by Hawk (4.44), Holmes (4.34), Whitner (4.39) and Youboty (4.41) were excellent. Carpenter didn't display tremendous straight-line speed in the 40, but impressed scouts with his fluidity and athleticism in agility drills, and during his position drills. Hawk, Holmes, Youboty, Carpenter and Whitner could all come off the board in the first round of the upcoming draft.

I never really understood how one track could be "fast" and another slow, unless it has something to do w/ the springy-ness of the surface.

Anyone able to explain this in plain English?

I dont know what Mike Vick scored on his Wonderlick test, but he is a moran. He was virtually unintelligable when he came out of college. I know they have had people working with him, but he still cant make a complete sentence. He dumb...

I dont know what Mike Vick scored on his Wonderlick test, but he is a moran.  He was virtually unintelligable when he came out of college.  I know they have had people working with him, but he still cant make a complete sentence.  He dumb...

1376432[/snapback]

He scored a 20............and yes he sucks.

Marcus Vick seems to be this year's Maurice Clarett, only with less hype.

1376427[/snapback]

The younger Vick seemed to get a taste of success through his older brother a little too early and he has been unable to handle it. I wonder how good he could have been had he kept his head on better?

The younger Vick seemed to get a taste of success through his older brother a little too early and he has been unable to handle it.  I wonder how good he could have been had he kept his head on better?

1376446[/snapback]

He's a better passer than Mike ever was at VT. I would take Mike though if I wanted a running QB. Marcus could be a solid NFL QB if someone kicked his a$$ into shape. However, thugs will be thugs...

I'd be surprised to see Marcus Vick get drafted at all...maybe some silly-ass team will take him in the last round.

1376436[/snapback]

Someone will take a risk. Someone always takes a risk. Happened with Clarret, will happen with Vick. Too tempting for teams to stay away from in later rounds.

How much will Mercedes' wonderlic score hurt him? I realize he impressed on his pro day, but im sure most stud TE's like Gates, Gonzo, and Heap are pretty intelligent.

I'd be surprised to see Marcus Vick get drafted at all...maybe some silly-ass team will take him in the last round.

1376436[/snapback]

Perhaps as a wide receiver. Reggie McNeil could be one too.

"I never really understood how one track could be "fast" and another slow, unless it has something to do w/ the springy-ness of the surface.

Anyone able to explain this in plain English?"

I would say spring(as in a running track or turf with a foam surface) and resistance as in grass or a thick surface. Underlying layers can have foam that gives back when run on.

That is my guess from running on tracks and different surfaces.

From ESPN Insider

The official scores from the Wonderlic Tests taken at the combine were released. As usual, there were some interesting results. Texas QB Vince Young did indeed take the test twice. The league has been tight-lipped regarding his first score, but the higher score of his two attempts was a 15.

1376415[/snapback]

But this second score of 15 was from the second taking of the exact same test, correct? If so, it doesn't mean anything. That's like re-taking your SAT test again the next day! :D

But this second score of 15 was from the second taking of the exact same test, correct?  If so, it doesn't mean anything.  That's like re-taking your SAT test again the next day!  :D

1376509[/snapback]

According to profootbll.com that is correct.

Marcus Vick seems to be this year's Maurice Clarett, only with less hype.

1376427[/snapback]

I made a new post about Marcus Vick. Kind of like a poll to see who takes the

chance on this dummy. Check it out.

I played high school football with Dusty Dvoracek for a year. That guy always had the talent and smarts, but his off the field problems made me think he'd disappear. Whatever Stoops said to him after dismissing him and then bringing him back to the team seems to have changed him. Its good to hear him doing well.

But this second score of 15 was from the second taking of the exact same test, correct?  If so, it doesn't mean anything.  That's like re-taking your SAT test again the next day!  :D

1376509[/snapback]

Actually it's nothing like re-taking the SATs at all. IIRC, Young was given THE EXACT SAME TEST, which means he had to answer the same few questions as he did the first time. The SAT is FAR more envolved than the WL test; much, much longer.

from profootballtalk.com...

WONDERLIC GETTING A MAKEOVER

A league source tells us that the folks who run the scouting combine will overhaul starting in 2007 the procedures for grading the Wonderlic test.

Moving forward, the tests will be sent out to an independent firm, who will perform the grading and then send the results to the individual teams.

This change is the direct result of the single-digit score generated by Texas quarterback Vince Young last month. The test initially was graded as a six by a combine employee, and on further review the score was changed to a seven. Because of the error, Young was permitted to re-take the test the next day (but supposedly a different version of it) and he scored a 15.

We've previously reported that he only answered 33 of the 50 question in his second shot at the test.

In our view, the decision to send the results out to an independent firm primarily was designed to prevent a repeat of the furor that erupted in Indy when word got out of Young's low score. Now, the tests won't even be looked at by anyone in Indy, and most likely won't be scored until after all of the attendees have dispersed.

This new procedure also eliminates the likelihood of any future combine do-overs, since the player won't know how poorly he might have scored so soon after sitting for the exam.

So under this new approach, the end result this year would have been an official score of seven for Vince Young.

G*d I hope Al passes on this guy....I would much rather have them draft defense than draft this guy at the 7th spot.

Actually it's nothing like re-taking the SATs at all. IIRC, Young was given THE EXACT SAME TEST, which means he had to answer the same few questions as he did the first time.

1377746[/snapback]

Which is exctly what would happen is one had to re-take his SAT again the next day. In other words, Young had a day to think about the questions in the test and could've been "coached" by someone else who also looked at the test.