[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets looking to trade to #2 for Leinart

Big Score 1

KFFL

Jets | Team looking for ammunition to trade up

Sun, 19 Mar 2006 07:26:42 -0800

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports the New York Jets are reportedly looking for ammunition, by trading DE John Abraham, to move up to the No. 2 slot in the April NFL Draft. They team wants to draft USC QB Matt Leinart.

Guess Ramsey isn't the savior and they've obviously got no confidence in Pennington's shoulder.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes sense. They play in the same stadium as Eli Manning, and need the marquee name to compete. Ramsey and Pennington compete for #1, while Leinart rides pine in 2006. Cut Pennington loose after this year, move Leinart to 1 with Ramsey as backup for 2007.

I'll buy that for a Mangini plan.

Now, if they can only make the trade happen.

So if the Abraham to Seahawks trade goes through, it'd be their #4 & #31, for the #2?

1376948[/snapback]

Or Abraham and #4 straight up for #2.

Then NO fans won't have to worry about whether they're going to take Mario or Hawk. If they get Abraham, they will go striaght for Hawk.

But the real question is, if the Jets do get Leinart, do the Titans take Cuttler or Young?

But the real question is, if the Jets do get Leinart, do the Titans take Cuttler or Young?

1376967[/snapback]

well wasnt thier talk of Norm Chow reuniting with his USC star?...any chance the texans trade down or not take bush?...seems to be an outside chance bush could fall to number 3. seems like it would be a good fit for the titans, could they even pass on him there?

Then NO fans won't have to worry about whether they're going to take Mario or Hawk. If they get Abraham, they will go striaght for Hawk.

1376967[/snapback]

My guess is that I don't think the titans would take young or cutler at 3.

1376967[/snapback]

So far there are no indications that NO has any interest in Abraham, which is a pre-requisite for that scenario to play out.

So if the Abraham to Seahawks trade goes through, it'd be their #4 & #31, for the #2?

1376948[/snapback]

1376967[/snapback]

Neither of these scenarios is even close value-wise for the #2 ... and as mentioned above, the Saints have not shown any interest in Abraham anyways.

Edited by Cordo

If NO had any interest in a DE that would make perfect sense - but they have no need for DE help.

I've heard the #4, #31, and their 3rd rounder (can't remember the #) for the #2. It's so early though that it's really tough to tell. If this was the case, I'd look for NO to take Ferguson at #4.

I would not trade down for Cutler. I like him a lot, but there is no guarentees with the QB position. I say The Jets draft D. Ferguson at number four and use the pick they get from Seattle for Center N. Mangold. The whole game starts at the O-Line. I would let Pennington and Ramsey compete for the starters job, while drafting someone like C. Whitehurst later in the draft. Maybe even C. Broyler.

I would not trade down for Cutler.  I like him a lot, but there is no guarentees with the QB position.  I say The Jets draft D. Ferguson at number four and use the pick they get from Seattle for Center N. Mangold.  The whole game starts at the O-Line.  I would let Pennington and Ramsey compete for the starters job, while drafting someone like C. Whitehurst later in the draft.  Maybe even C. Broyler.

1378815[/snapback]

If no trade happens and the top 4 stay as is, who do the Saints take? Maybe they grab Ferguson at 2.

Pennington will make a very nice backup QB in the NFL. I'm not saying that to rip on the guy either... I just think that's his destiny at this point.

Too many injuries for a team to risk paying him to be a #1. But plenty of raw talent to hold a clipboard, send in plays, and hold for PATs.

I think the idea is that the Jets are looking to make, virtually, a three-way deal here. Jets trade Abraham for a pick & trade that pick along with the #4 for Leinart at #2.

1378843[/snapback]

I think that makes a lot of sense. Abraham for the #31 from Seattle. #4 and #31 for #2 (Leinart).

I think the idea is that the Jets are looking to make, virtually, a three-way deal here. Jets trade Abraham for a pick & trade that pick along with the #4 for Leinart at #2.

1378843[/snapback]

Confirmed in Full Article

In the Jets' stare down with the Atlanta Falcons over the trade of John Abraham, there is more at stake than meets the eye.

The Jets and Mike Tannenbaum, trying to consummate his first major deal as an NFL general manager, seek to secure the means to make another trade, from their fourth overall pick in next month's draft to No. 2, where New Orleans now resides.

And the object of that swap with the Saints would be to select Southern Cal quarterback Matt Leinart.

That rumor has been floated before, but a knowledgeable league source said Saturday that it is the driving force behind Tannenbaum's hardball negotiations with Atlanta GM Rich McKay over compensation for Abraham, the franchise-tagged pass-rushing superstar.

The Jets want Atlanta's first-round pick, 15th overall, to let Abraham join the Falcons. The Falcons initially offered their second-rounder (No. 47).

In an attempt to break the impasse, the source said, McKay offered to include a player with the second-rounder.

The identity of the player isn't known, but the Falcons have discussed trading T.J. Duckett, featured back Warren Dunn's backup the past four years.

After parting with LaMont Jordan a year ago, the Jets could be tempted to bring in another heir apparent for Curtis Martin, this time with Martin clearly being throttled down at the end of his career.

But the Jets, according to the NFL source, said no to the two-plus-a-player.

They could still trade up with the Saints by trading, say, their No. 4 plus their second- and third-round picks. But they want the mid-first-round pick, which they could spend on a linebacker such as Chad Greenway or DeMeco Ryans for new coach Eric Mangini's defense.

That is where the sides reportedly stood Saturday, irritated with each other's stance but still communicating and taking time out, likely until Monday, to ponder their positions.

The Seahawks dealt themselves into this game by offering their 31st overall pick for Abraham, but while it is believed they have made a contract proposal to agents Tony Agnone and Rich Rosa, Abraham's choice is Atlanta.

The Seahawks dealt themselves into this game by offering their 31st overall pick for Abraham, but while it is believed they have made a contract proposal to agents Tony Agnone and Rich Rosa, Abraham's choice is Atlanta.

This is the interesting part of the situation. Apparently, Atlanta is offering more money, which is why it's "Abraham's choice". I have a feeling that if/when the Seahawks lose out on Hutchinson, they'll up their offer to Abraham and the deal will be done for the 31st pick.

The Jets want Atlanta's first-round pick, 15th overall, to let Abraham join the Falcons. The Falcons initially offered their second-rounder (No. 47).

That would be good for New Orleans (15th rather than 31st)...other than the fact they would ahve to play Abraham twice a year.

I just do not buy that they would take Williams with the DE's they have. I know they took Smith a few years back when they already had Grant and Howard and traded up to #6 to get Jonathan Sullivan the year before that :D when they needed help elsewhere...but that was a different staff. Unless Loomis has too much say. Loomis could be their Doomis. (Cheesy, I know but I had to.)