[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brees failed physical with Fins...

Jolly Rodgers

Originally Posted by Len Pasquarelli:

Enough of the disingenuous rhetoric, please, about how Drew Brees signed with New Orleans because he felt at home with the Saints and was comfortable with the program that they are trying to rebuild. The fact is, Brees was left on Tuesday morning with nowhere else to go after he essentially failed the very rigorous physical examination the Miami Dolphins administered to him the previous day. Physical exams in the NFL are very subjective things, and the Miami medical staff felt that Brees' surgically repaired shoulder, although improving, wasn't quite far enough along for the financial exposure the Dolphins would have had if they had agreed to sign the former San Diego starter.

So, on Monday evening, with the medical evaluations in hand, the Dolphins, after determining that Brees and agent Tom Condon wouldn't reduce the contractual liability, turned their attentions back to acquiring quarterback Daunte Culpepper in a trade. Then, very early Tuesday morning -- reliable sources told ESPN.com -- Dolphins coach Nick Saban apprised Condon that Miami was out of the bidding for Brees. In fairness to Brees, Saban told Condon, the Dolphins would stay quiet about the results of the physical exam and the pending trade for Culpepper for a few hours. That would provide Condon and Brees, who had no negotiating leverage remaining with the Dolphins suddenly out of the picture, some time to complete the six-year, $60 million deal with Saints officials. In the end, the Dolphins simply thought Culpepper had a better chance of being on the field for training camp than Brees did.

"We're talking the quarterback position, right?" one Miami source said. "So what would you rather have, a guy coming off knee surgery or off shoulder surgery? You don't throw with your knee."

Funny, if Brees would have come down on his $$ demands and agreed to the Miami offer, I'm quite sure he would have passed their physical. Look at it this way, if he did actually fail their physical and they dropped out at that point, thanks Dolphin medical staff. If they failed him because he wouldn't sign for less, then it's sour grapes to say so now. Either way, time to move on, each team seems quite happy with the guy they got.

I can speak for most Saint fans, we're very pleased with the guy we got. Nice half page ad in today's Times-Pic.

Very good move by Brees. Classy. We should see lots of #9 Brees spamshirts sold between now and the draft.

Oh, and it also will make the front office look like boobs for drafting a QB. Brees is already trying to avoid what happened in SD with them taking Rivers.

Edited by muck

Very good move by Brees.  Classy. 

1377095[/snapback]

Muck,

Did you mean good & classy move by Miami?

'Cause Brees didn't do anything.

Miami Medical staff simply told his agent that they felt he was too damaged for them to want to sign at his asking price and they're the ones who said they would delay in releasing their findings.

Edited by Big Score 1

Funny, if Brees would have come down on his $$ demands and agreed to the Miami offer, I'm quite sure he would have passed their physical.  Look at it this way, if he did actually fail their physical and they dropped out at that point, thanks Dolphin medical staff.  If they failed him because he wouldn't sign for less, then it's sour grapes to say so now.  Either way, time to move on, each team seems quite happy with the guy they got.

I can speak for most Saint fans, we're very pleased with the guy we got.  Nice half page ad in today's Times-Pic.

1377069[/snapback]

You guys ended up with the better QB. that being said, if this injury Brees has ends up hindering him this season, the media and fans will crawl all over Saints management.

You guys ended up with the better QB. that being said, if this injury Brees has ends up hindering him this season, the media and fans will crawl all over Saints management.

1377105[/snapback]

Kind of stating the obvious, no ? :D

In all seriousness, in Miami's iniitial press conference following the Culpepper trade, Saban babbled some stuff about "decisions not made in vacuum, risk/rewards of Brees/Culpepper etc etc etc".

Hasn't been talked alot about , but the Saints weren't making their decision in a vacuum either, and had their own set of risk/rewards as well. They obviously felt the risk of signing Brees was acceptable, they structured his contract to further mitigate that risk, and have the additional bonus of opening up the #2 pick to multiple options rather than being locked in at taking a rookie QB (who could end up being Peyton Manning, Ryan Leaf, or something in between).

Pasquarelli usually does his homework, but at the same time, he has been pretty consistently negative towards the Saints for years, so for him to be critical of Brees in this situation does not surprise me in the least. And he's being less than honest by not saying it ultimately came down to money for everyone, the Dolphins included.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

I thought the full page ad was classy.

And, I was wondering if the story about the physical was true if MIA was trying to curry favor with Condon regarding some of his other players...

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

I thought the full page ad was classy.

And, I was wondering if the story about the physical was true if MIA was trying to curry favor with Condon regarding some of his other players...

1377186[/snapback]

'

Hilarious that the first negative post in the link (see the 7th post) is by a user named Sgt. Ryan :D:D

So Brees failed his physical and Culpepper passed his? I'm confused :D . Is this just sour grapes from Miami's camp ? Last I heard the QB most likely to play the opener was the one the Phins missed out on cause they were unwilling to match the Saints offer!

I will stick with what we got thank you very much !

Teams have different physical standards and can pass one team's and fail another's. For instance C Mike Flanigan's trade to Carolina several years back was cancelled due to him failing Carolina's physical ans was playing well with the Packers ever since.

BTW, since when does the knee not play into the throwing motion of the QB? :D

I can speak for most Saint fans, we're very pleased with the guy we got.  Nice half page ad in today's Times-Pic.

1377069[/snapback]

Saw that on SR.com this morning, Cordo. Unbelievably classy move. I'd never heard of a player doing anything like that before. I'll have my #9 jersey before the first game in the Dome this season. :D

Funny, if Brees would have come down on his $$ demands and agreed to the Miami offer, I'm quite sure he would have passed their physical.  Look at it this way, if he did actually fail their physical and they dropped out at that point, thanks Dolphin medical staff.  If they failed him because he wouldn't sign for less, then it's sour grapes to say so now.  Either way, time to move on, each team seems quite happy with the guy they got.

1377069[/snapback]

If they held the results quiet to keep the leverage for Brees vs New Orleans, that isnt sour grapes.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

If they held the results quiet to keep the leverage for Brees vs New Orleans, that isnt sour grapes.

1377535[/snapback]

I must be missing something, where is the logic in that ?

1377557[/snapback]

If you can cause a competor to use up valuable resources (ie, cash and cap space), is that generally a good idea?

1377557[/snapback]

If Brees was being a pr*ck and holding out for more cash, Miami could have crushed his potential earnings with New Orleans by revealing he failed thier physical and they were no longer interested. You think New Orleans overpays that much for him when his only other suitor is Miami and they claim they are no longer interested because he failed their physical. That is the logic. Miami did Brees a favor by keeping quiet on the physical so he could bend over New Orleans like the articles claims his agent requested. If their was sour grapes, Miami could have leaked that immediately. You really think Miami is worried about New Orleans stealing anyone they want unless the money is rediculously more in New Orleans. Brees wanted to be in Miami, tried to use New Orleans to get him the money in Miami, he failed their physical, they said come cheap or dont come at all. He wouldnt come cheap, so they could have leaked this info to kill his leverage with New Orleans.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

If you can cause a competor to use up valuable resources (ie, cash and cap space), is that generally a good idea?

1377653[/snapback]

New Orleans is going to have to overpay to anyone they get, so Im not sure this affects Miami much, and they are not really competitive on the field as they play in different conferences.

1377535[/snapback]

i might be looking at this a bit differently but i dont think MIA did BREES a favor they did MIA a favor...in that i am sure they got on the horn with Daunte and I am sure they didnt say hey we are passing on brees and cause we are good guys we arent gonna tell the saints he failed our physical will you come be our QB....

my bet is Mia was hoping brees took longer to get his deal done with NO or whomever else so they could use brees as leverage to get daunte to agree to terms that they could dictate much easier if Daunte thought there was another candidate...

not sure that made any sense :D

i might be looking at this a bit differently but i dont think MIA did BREES a favor they did MIA a favor...in that i am sure they got on the horn with Daunte and I am sure they didnt say hey we are passing on brees and cause we are good guys we arent gonna tell the saints he failed our physical will you come be our QB....

my  bet is Mia was hoping brees took longer to get his deal done with NO or whomever else so they could use brees as leverage to get daunte to agree to terms that they could dictate much easier if Daunte thought there was another candidate...

not sure that made any sense  :D

1377772[/snapback]

I agree with that. I think the Dolphins wanted Culpepper all along, Brees was just bait to get Culpepper at a lower price given the fact that there weren't too many teams that were willing to pony up a #2 and eat Daunte's $100 million contract. So they get as close to signing Brees as they can, leak it to the press and daunte's agent--give him a while to stew about having to spend another season in Minnesota and the next thing you know, he's ready to negotiate...

daunte's agent

1377791[/snapback]

:D

Daunte has the dumbest agent in the NFL. Himself. :D

What sane person could argue with a straight face -after Cullpepper was caught on the love boat, stunk up Minnesota for half a year, then blew out his knee- that he deserved a raise?

Still, I gotta hand it to him, I'm amazed at how complete stupidity, pouting, and tantrums can be so effective when used as a negotiating ploy. Everything has worked out as he hoped.

If Brees was being a pr*ck and holding out for more cash, Miami could have crushed his potential earnings with New Orleans by revealing he failed thier physical and they were no longer interested.  You think New Orleans overpays that much for him when his only other suitor is Miami and they claim they are no longer interested because he failed their physical.  That is the logic.  Miami did Brees a favor by keeping quiet on the physical so he could bend over New Orleans like the articles claims his agent requested.  If their was sour grapes, Miami could have leaked that immediately.  You really think Miami is worried about New Orleans stealing anyone they want unless the money is rediculously more in New Orleans. Brees wanted to be in Miami, tried to use New Orleans to get him the money in Miami, he failed their physical, they said come cheap or dont come at all. He wouldnt come cheap, so they could have leaked this info to kill his leverage with New Orleans.

1377663[/snapback]

Totally illogical and your argument doesn't even consider the actual sequence of events. Try again.

Teams have different physical standards and can pass one team's and fail another's.  For instance C Mike Flanigan's trade to Carolina several years back was cancelled due to him failing Carolina's physical ans was playing well with the Packers ever since.

1377394[/snapback]

Not to mention the fact that Favre failed Green Bay's physical when he was traded by Atlanta.