[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tags to retire in July

myhousekey

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2376850

NEW YORK -- Paul Tagliabue is retiring as NFL commissioner in July after more than 16 years on the job.

The 65-year-old commissioner has led the league since 1989, when he succeeded Pete Rozelle, and had recently signed a two-year contract extension to complete the television and labor deals.

He finally got that done 12 days ago, finishing the most arduous labor negotiations since the league and union agreed on a free agency-salary cap deal in 1992.

Edited by myhousekey

Bad - he's done a great job as commissioner and the NFL has thrived during his time on the job.  Not an easy guy to replace.

1378346[/snapback]

He's a two-faced A-hole. He'll probably be replaced by another two-faced A-hole anyways, but I'm still glad to see him go.

Edited by Crazysight

i think out of the current commish's in the 4, uh, make that 3 major sports in this country, tags has been by far the most responsible and helpful for his sport. and he was no doubt a big part of settling the cba issues over the past month. maybe some politics here and there, but i'm not sure what's to completely hate about this guy. just my opinion, but i think we're losing a pretty responsible leader for the nfl.

i think out of the current commish's in the 4, uh, make that 3 major sports in this country, tags has been by far the most responsible and helpful for his sport.  and he was no doubt a big part of settling the cba issues over the past month.  maybe some politics here and there, but i'm not sure what's to completely hate about this guy.  just my opinion, but i think we're losing a pretty responsible leader for the nfl.

1378363[/snapback]

Good info here.

Now if Bud Selig could just follow suit.

1378451[/snapback]

Indeed. They should retire together, cementing their symbiotic relationship which was highlighted by their tie for "worst haircut on a white man in a leadership position in North America" ....

Edited by Donutrun Jellies

I think the guys done a pretty dman good job. Hopefully whoever the replacement is, will be able to keep the prosperity going. Who picks the new successor, Tags? This can either improve relationships or hurt them, such as how they negotiate with the union in the future.

Who picks the new successor, Tags?  

1378626[/snapback]

Pretty sure the owners pick him.

SI had something just this past week on likely replacements for Tags. They mentioned McKay, who was mentioned by someone above, as probabbly the most likely candidate. But they also mentioned a dark horse candidate who they thought would be very good. Unfortunately I can't remember the guy's name, he's an older guy (in his 60s), currently working in the Ravens' front office, also played a role in brokering the sale of the redskins to Snyder. I had never heard of the guy, I'll try to find out what his name is.

EDIT - found it, his name is Dick Cass. This article mentions possible replacements and names the same 3 guys that SI mentioned - "Roger Goodell, the NFL's chief operating officer, and Atlanta general manager Rich McKay are the two leading candidates to succeed Tagliabue. Baltimore Ravens president Dick Cass is considered to have an outside chance. "

Edited by Easy n Dirty

I think the guys done a pretty dman good job.  Hopefully whoever the replacement is, will be able to keep the prosperity going. Who picks the new successor, Tags?  This can either improve relationships or hurt them, such as how they negotiate with the union in the future.

1378626[/snapback]

ESPN did a poll of the the 4 commissioners and Tags was the unanimous choice (picked in every state).

Guest Cherni
i think out of the current commish's in the 4, uh, make that 3 major sports in this country, tags has been by far the most responsible and helpful for his sport.  and he was no doubt a big part of settling the cba issues over the past month.  maybe some politics here and there, but i'm not sure what's to completely hate about this guy.  just my opinion, but i think we're losing a pretty responsible leader for the nfl.

1378363[/snapback]

Can't argue with that. Look at the state of MLB, NHL or NBA right now. The NFL is as healthy and successful (profitable) as it's ever been. Baseball is rampant with steroids, the players in the NBA are so spoiled that they couldn't even deal with having to wear a tucked in shirt, and hockey is terrible (I'm a big fan, just don't like the new rules). The NFL has showed why it is America's new past time and I can't possibly see that changing. Tags has done a great job keeping out of the spotlight and running the league as he sees fit.

Pretty sure the owners pick him.

SI had something just this past week on likely replacements for Tags.  They mentioned McKay, who was mentioned by someone above, as probabbly the most likely candidate.  But they also mentioned a dark horse candidate who they thought would be very good.  Unfortunately I can't remember the guy's name, he's an older guy (in his 60s), currently working in the Ravens' front office, also played a role in brokering the sale of the redskins to Snyder.  I had never heard of the guy, I'll try to find out what his name is.

EDIT - found it, his name is Dick Cass.  This article mentions possible replacements and names the same 3 guys that SI mentioned - "Roger Goodell, the NFL's chief operating officer, and Atlanta general manager Rich McKay are the two leading candidates to succeed Tagliabue. Baltimore Ravens president Dick Cass is considered to have an outside chance. "

1378741[/snapback]

Thx for the info Dirty

I was curious and checked out what states voted what. I noticed Michigan was 59% with NBA 34%, as I take this to be due to the Pistons success. I was really surprised to see Mississippi even lower at 58% and I fail to see the reasoning there. Most of the states seem to be within the 68% to 71% range.

Sure, the NFL did fine under him, but IMO that's a case of Tagliabue having enough common sense to keep on the track Rozelle put the league on.

As far as being any sort of visionary leader, he's an empty suit.

Sure, the NFL did fine under him, but IMO that's a case of Tagliabue having enough common sense to keep on the track Rozelle put the league on.

As far as being any sort of visionary leader, he's an empty suit.

1379533[/snapback]

I kind of agree with this assessment. I can't actually criticize Tags for anything in particular, but I don't think he did anything orginal. He was smart enough to stay out of the way of the NFL's progress.

In fact, the most recent lasting image I have of Tags is when he stood up after that 40-minute owners' meeting and completely admonished the NFLPA for not being "realistic". He looked like he was either (a) just so downright exhausted by the "unreasonable union" or (B) just reading a script the owners gave him before the press conference. Considering the NFLPA wasn't being unrealistic at all and how the owners eventually gave in, that little speech was totally asinine.

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead