[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hutchinson Ruling Against Seahawks

bigbadwolf

They have until midnight to decide and may find a legal reason to take to court. In the end Minnesota may lose a week or two before they know they don't get Hutch. We shall see.

If they lose out I'll bet they find a way to stick it to the Vikings later.

1379141[/snapback]

Yeah but the liklihood of that happening now is pretty slim.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how Seattle has any chance to match now. Hutch's deal is to be the highest paid lineman from day one of free agency. That was March 11. It's too late to re-work anybody else's deal.

The Vikings may have won this round. But it sure looks like the door is opened to more battles down the road. Some of those may come back and bite the Vikes in the butt.

Edited by MikesVikes

According to the Star Tribune, the stipulation regarding Hutch being the highest paid offensive lineman of the team was requested by his agent, Tom Condon, and not the Vikings. From what I've heard, if the stipulation was inserted by the Vikings themselves, then it would have been disallowed by the cba. Since it was Hutch's request to add the wording, it doesn't interfere with the cba rules.

Yea the Vikes look like they made out on this one, but it's still a quirky deal if you ask me.

Paul Allen probably has $49 million sitting in petty cash. They'll get it done one way or the other imo.

1379065[/snapback]

Even if Allen matched the offer, he'd have to guarantee the contract. It's either match the offer or let him go. This would be the very first guaranteed contract in the history of the league.

Even if Allen matched the offer, he'd have to guarantee the contract.  It's either match the offer or let him go.  This would be the very first guaranteed contract in the history of the league.

1379201[/snapback]

There's no way. If Hutch got a career ending injury, the Hawks are still on the hook for the entire contract.

That's what pisses me off most, that this contract was formulated so there was basically no way for the Hawks to keep Hutch without being irresponsible. Matching at this point is not really an option.

Edited by Bonehand

There's no way. If Hutch got a career ending injury, the Hawks are still on the hook for the entire contract.

That's what pisses me off most, that this contract was formulated so there was basically no way for the Hawks to keep Hutch without being irresponsible. Matching at this point is not really an option.

1379209[/snapback]

Looks like the end of the transition tag. We'll probably see the end to poison pills in the future before it gets out of hand, if it isn't already.

"NFLPA attorney Richard Berthelson just explained to me over the phone exactly what happened in the Steve Hutchinson case and what it means. Basically, it means that Seattle has to guarantee the $49 million in Hutchinson's contract if the team matches the offer sheet from Minnesota. The Seahawks have until 9 p.m. PST do match or lose Hutchinson to the Vikings. If and when Hutchinson becomes a Viking, his deal with Minnesota will not be guaranteed. But it will be guaranteed if the Seahawks match the offer."

If true I would take it to court. Siding for one side unfairly doesn't sound legal whether Hutch asked for it or not.

Looks like the end of the transition tag.  We'll probably see the end to poison pills in the future before it gets out of hand, if it isn't already.

1379217[/snapback]

It really surprises me that the Special Master ruled the way he did, as I can't see any way that the use of these "poison pills" is good for the NFL as a whole.

I wonder if Burbank still would have ruled this way if Seattle hadn't gotten cute with Jones contract.

Edited by Bonehand

"NFLPA attorney Richard Berthelson just explained to me over the phone exactly what happened in the Steve Hutchinson case and what it means. Basically, it means that Seattle has to guarantee the $49 million in Hutchinson's contract if the team matches the offer sheet from Minnesota. The Seahawks have until 9 p.m. PST do match or lose Hutchinson to the Vikings. If and when Hutchinson becomes a Viking, his deal with Minnesota will not be guaranteed. But it will be guaranteed if the Seahawks match the offer."

If true I would take it to court. Siding for one side unfairly doesn't sound legal whether Hutch asked for it or not.

1379225[/snapback]

Its not gauranteed because Hutch would be the highest paid offensive lineman this year on the Vikings.

Edited by Outshined

So had the restructuring of Jone's contract had worked and Hutch returned to Seattle you would have been trumpeting up and down how he isn't worth $49 million?  Keep rationalizing...eventually you may convince yourself. :D

1379166[/snapback]

I would have been satisified to keep the core together, but that price of 7 mil a year sucks. The Viking can have him. No tears from me.

Updated: March 20, 2006, 8:38 PM ET

Vikings' man? Seahawks lose Hutchinson rulingAssociated Press

SEATTLE -- The Seahawks must match the guarantee provision in the $49 million, seven-year deal offered to All-Pro guard Steve Hutchinson by the Minnesota Vikings if the NFC champions want to keep their transition player.

In a hearing Monday in Philadelphia, a special master ruled against Seattle, saying an unprecedented provision guaranteeing all of the $49 million in an offer sheet Hutchinson signed with Minnesota should he not be the team's highest-paid offensive lineman is valid.

"The Seahawks lost," NFL Players' Association general counsel Richard Berthelsen said Monday.

League spokesman Michael Signora said Monday evening that the Seahawks had until midnight ET Monday to match the Vikings' offer or lose Hutchinson to Minnesota. The Seahawks and Vikings each said they had no comment.

Hutchinson's agent, Tom Condon, said that the Seahawks had not contacted him as of Monday night about possibly matching the offer in the final hours.

"There's not been any contact with them at all since the offer sheet was signed," said Condon, who considers his Pro Bowl client to now be a member of the Vikings.

When asked if Hutchinson wanted to leave the team that drafted him 17th overall out of Michigan in 2001, Condon said: "Not at all. I think that there wasn't any reason for him to leave Seattle.

"Nevertheless, Minnesota really stepped out for him."

The Vikings' seven-year offer, which Hutchinson signed on March 12, included $16 million guaranteed. It would be the richest deal ever given to a guard. And Monday's ruling means it just got richer.

The most guaranteed money in NFL history is the $34.5 million signing bonus Peyton Manning received in March 2004 from Indianapolis, part of a record $98 million Colts contract.

Berthelsen attended a two-hour hearing Monday morning in Philadelphia before special master Stephen Burbank, who ruled on the matter.

The Seahawks had argued Monday morning that because they have recently re-negotiated Pro Bowl left tackle Walter Jones' $54.5 million, seven-year contract by adding an eighth, voidable year, Jones' team-best lineman deal now has an annual value below that of Hutchinson's offer.

After the re-negotiation, Jones' annual base salary would dip to $6.81 million -- just below Hutchinson's $7 million annual average if Seattle matched Minnesota's offer. Thus, the Seahawks argued Monday morning they should not have to guarantee the rest of Hutchinson's new deal.

Berthelsen said Burbank did not elaborate in his ruling.

But Berthelsen said the decision validated the NFLPA's stance that the conditions at the time Hutchinson signed the offer sheet with the Vikings are the conditions Seattle must match -- meaning Hutchinson wasn't the highest-paid Seahawks linemen then, so Seattle must guarantee all $49 million of the Vikings' deal to match it.

"They wanted to put in additional language to make it from any point from now until the end of the 2006 league year," Berthelsen said. "That is contrary to the intent of the wording that was in the contract.

"And the special master agreed."

The only positive for the Seahawks may be closure. They now have $6.39 million more to spend on potential free agents -- money they had been obligated to tender to Hutchinson once they made him their transition player last month.

Seattle has offered a first-round draft pick for Jets defensive end John Abraham, who wants a long-term deal. The Jets are still mulling that offer for their franchise player.

Some of the money freed by Hutchinson leaving could be used to sign his replacement. Versatile veteran Floyd Womack, who started 22 games at tackle and guard in his first four Seattle seasons before he lost his right-tackle job, is currently in line to replace Hutchinson.

:D

:D THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED

The Colts did the same thing to the Bills many years ago. Will Wolford was a star offensive lineman for the Bills. The Colts signed him to an offer sheet that guaranteed he would be the Colts highest paid player. The Bills couldn't match it because they had Kelly/Thomas/Reed. The arbitrator ruled against them too, and Wilford became a Colt. This was back in the mid-nineties.

edit: 1993

Edited by CaptainHook

1379209[/snapback]

Perfectly put. No matter how good a guy is, you just can't cut a player a check for 50 million dollars and hope the next 7 years works out.

--Knowing the Vikes, somewhere down the road they'll offer some good lineman a big contract and forget about this stipulation and have to fork over the dough. :D

Looks like the end of the transition tag.  We'll probably see the end to poison pills in the future before it gets out of hand, if it isn't already.

1379217[/snapback]

if the transition tag has been renedered absolutely useless and meaningless by this ruling (as everyone seems to agree), then wouldn't you have to say that this ruling goes clearly against the spirit (if not the letter) of the CBA? i mean, the transition tag was obviously meant to mean something, wasnt it? that's why i think this whole thing is a bunch of crap and the clause should have been tossed from the very beginning.

--Knowing the Vikes, somewhere down the road they'll offer some good lineman a big contract and forget about this stipulation and have to fork over the dough.  :D

1379384[/snapback]

:D true, true. hopefully mckinney will have a couple great seasons and then the vikes will have to watch him walk away for nothing as a free agent.

Even if Allen matched the offer, he'd have to guarantee the contract.  It's either match the offer or let him go.  This would be the very first guaranteed contract in the history of the league.

1379201[/snapback]

Brian Bosworth had a guaranteed contract that the Seahawks were paying until 1996 or something like that.

Yea the Vikes look like they made out on this one, but it's still a quirky deal if you ask me.

1379195[/snapback]

I disagree the Vikes made out. This dude aint worth 49 million, so they overpaid to get a OL to open holes for Chester Taylor and protect Brad Johnson. Somehow I doubt teams are the least bit worried about the Vikes offense now. Wow what a turn of events to a playoff contending team just a few yrs back, to now the bottom of the barrel with the Pack.

I disagree the Vikes made out.  This dude aint worth 49 million, so they overpaid to get a OL to open holes for Chester Taylor and protect Brad Johnson.  Somehow I doubt teams are the least bit worried about the Vikes offense now.   Wow what a turn of events to a playoff contending team just a few yrs back, to now the bottom of the barrel with the Pack.

1379443[/snapback]

Shouldn't you be spending time worrying about how many games it will take to make TO tear apart the Cowboys and send Parcells into retirement instead of making comments on the Vikings rebuilding process? :D

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

Shouldn't you be spending time worrying about how many games it will take to make TO tear apart the Cowboys and send Parcells into retirement instead of making comments on the Vikings rebuilding process?  :D

1379450[/snapback]

If you call Chester Taylor, Tony Richardson and Brad Johnson your starting backfield, I hardly call that rebuilding. But if you do, more power to ya.... :D

If you call Chester Taylor, Tony Richardson and Brad Johnson your starting backfield, I hardly call that rebuilding.  But if you do, more power to ya....  :D

1379454[/snapback]

Rome wasn't built in a day, but I bet TO could have torn it down in 2 or 3. :D

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

--Knowing the Vikes, somewhere down the road they'll offer some good lineman a big contract and forget about this stipulation and have to fork over the dough.  :D

1379384[/snapback]

The stipulation that Hutch has to be the highest paid olinemen on the team is only for the first year of the contract. So yea, I think the Vikes will probably forget about it. :D