[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Maryland Crabs

cliaz

If you do not live in Maryland/Virginia (or anywhere around the Chesapeake Bay.) then you will not fully understand what I am talking about. But trust me when I tell you this:

For all you DC/Maryland/Virginia huddlers is there nothing better than a table covered over with thick brown paper and a pile of steaming crabs just chilling there next to a big pitch of ice cold beer?

I cannot wait until this summer to get back out on the boat and do some crabbing.

I can almost smell the vinegar, butter and old bay right now.

For all of you that do not live around here if you are ever in town post something up for me to read and when you get here I will take you to one of the best crab houses on the eastern shore. It’s called “Mike’s on the South River.”

Fantastic place to eat, over looking the south river as it runs into the Chesapeake bay and on the eastern side of the river are these multi million dollar homes where people climb down into their boats and ride on over for a beer.

It’s prolly the only place I know of where Dr. and Lawyers and the filthy rich come over to slum it with us normal folks.

Great crabs, hot chicks and the smells of the Chesapeake bay.

Nothing better.

While I am a big fan of Old bay smothered Maryland crabs, and Mike's is great, the best is a hugh pot of boiled Louisiana crawfish with lots of garlic cloves, onions, sausage, artichokes, hot dogs, lemons, and potatos.

1379918[/snapback]

+1

I love crab.

I'm partial to Dungeness for dipping and eating straight out of the shell. Nothing better than pulling up the pot to find it full of large crabs ready for the pot.

For crab cakes, however, Dungeness should not be used. The crabs from the east coast are so much better and their crab cakes blow our's away. The west coast shouldn't even try.

Last year, I found out that Washington State was the 2nd leading exporter of crawfish in the U.S. Since it had been awhile since I had a good Louisiana crawfish boil, I thought I'd give it a try....and then I did it again the next weekend.

Good Times

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

Now boys, ya know I live on the coast, and what Cliaz is throwing down is a Blue Crab chowdown, and we get plenty of blues down here in NC as well, but the only true #1 seafood get together is the Oyster Roast, get about 5 bushels of Stump Sound Oysters, a grill for roasting and a steamer for steaming...man oh man!!!! When I do it in the Summer months I substitute Clams for Oysters, but Cliaz is 100% right, a sit down of a table full of steamed blue crab and a assload of cold brew...BRING IT!!!!!

For all you DC/Maryland/Virginia huddlers is there nothing better than a table covered over with thick brown paper and a pile of steaming crabs just chilling there next to a big pitch of ice cold beer?

there's a place in brooklyn that does that. it's the best. there's even something to be said for cutting your fingers on crab shells and having the cuts sting from getting old bay seasoning in them.

I love crab.

I'm partial to Dungeness for dipping and eating straight out of the shell.  Nothing better than pulling up the pot to find it full of large crabs ready for the pot.

For crab cakes, however, Dungeness should not be used.  The crabs from the east coast are so much better and their crab cakes blow our's away.  The west coast shouldn't even try.

1382780[/snapback]

true.....

west siiiiide.

Where? What is it callled?

1383774[/snapback]

clemente's, in sheepshead bay. all-you-can-eat crabs for, i think, $25. it's right near some docks -- a summer night on the deck is great.

don't know if there's an official web site, but here's the citysearch listing

Guest Cherni
clemente's, in sheepshead bay. all-you-can-eat crabs for, i think, $25. it's right near some docks -- a summer night on the deck is great.

1383825[/snapback]

I've heard good things about that joint, never been though.

1383825[/snapback]

Thanks monster. I will be there at some point this summer - no doubt!

Thanks monster.  I will be there at some point this summer - no doubt!

1385724[/snapback]

i recommend driving (i'm assuming you have a car, but i realize if you live in the city you might not). first time we went there, we tried to take public transportation and i almost ended up divorced. the place is difficult to find -- it's on a service road off the belt parkway.

While I am a big fan of Old bay smothered Maryland crabs, and Mike's is great, the best is a hugh pot of boiled Louisiana crawfish with lots of garlic cloves, onions, sausage, artichokes, hot dogs, lemons, and potatos.

1379918[/snapback]

+2, but "crawfish" sounds funny every time I hear it. We call 'em crawdads in my little corner of the world. To make the above boil the best, it must include lots of fresh corn on the cob. :D

While I hate the disecting of the crabs, I have great memories centered around going to the NJ shore-- sitting around the table with the brown bag table cloth, lobster "crackers" and butter. :D

(Grew up in Delaware and spent time around the Maryland/Del shore areas too.)

I read this this morning and ate me a crabcake sammich for lunch.

Nothing like going to an O's game having some Boogs BBQ during the game and some crab afterwards.  Can't wait for summer.  :D

1384567[/snapback]

Next time you leave an O's game, get on 695 towards the Key bridget and find a place called "Captain Harvey's". Hands down the best Steak and Cheese subs anywhere. I've had S&C from Philly and they have nothing on Cap. Harvey's.

You are right though, nothing like sitting at a Os game, then heading to any of the 50 million crab house around there.

cliaz, I am in Maryland and I loves me some crabs. We steam 'em in beer and Old Bay. I also grill soft shell crabs along with little neck clams. King Crab and Dungeness are on my menu as well.

1393741[/snapback]

what abouts in maryland??

I am on the verge of tears.  I love crab and miss it so. C'mon SUMMER!

While nothing beats steamed, G&M (and Olive Grove) are my favorite crabcakes and do me right all da time!

1383301[/snapback]

Oh man, G&M crabcakes...best I've ever had. A TWO crabcake dinner and two sides for $22, now THATS good eatin :D

If you do not live in Maryland/Virginia (or anywhere around the Chesapeake Bay.) then you will not fully understand what I am talking about.  But trust me when I tell you this:

I cannot wait until this summer to get back out on the boat and do some crabbing. 

I can almost smell the vinegar, butter and old bay right now.

For all of you that do not live around here if you are ever in town post something up for me to read and when you get here I will take you to one of the best crab houses on the eastern shore.  It’s called “Mike’s on the South River.”

Fantastic place to eat, over looking the south river as it runs into the Chesapeake bay and on the eastern side of the river are these multi million dollar homes where people climb down into their boats and ride on over for a beer.

It’s prolly the only place I know of where Dr. and Lawyers and the filthy rich come over to slum it with us normal folks.

Great crabs, hot chicks and the smells of the Chesapeake bay.

Nothing better.

1379444[/snapback]

Used to go down to the Bay 1 - 2 times/year to go crabbing off the side of a few bridges. Its not glamorous, but at times quite successful and even more rewarding after the boil. They have signs on all the bridges now saying 'No crabbing off bridge' but it seems no one pays them any mind....

• 4 months later...

i recommend driving (i'm assuming you have a car, but i realize if you live in the city you might not). first time we went there, we tried to take public transportation and i almost ended up divorced. the place is difficult to find -- it's on a service road off the belt parkway.

I think that I am going to try this place today!

Mmmmm.....crabs.

Fo shizzle. :D

Sans the artichokes. :D

And don't forget, you can always throw some blue crabs in the pot, too. :D