[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seahawks sign Julian Peterson

bigbadwolf

Hutch or Peterson? I won't complain with this.

Seahawks nab Pro Bowl linebacker Peterson

Adam Schefter By Adam Schefter

NFL Analyst

(March 20, 2006) -- One of the busiest teams of the offseason struck again when the Seattle Seahawks reached agreement with former San Francisco linebacker Julian Peterson on a blockbuster seven-year, $54 million deal.

The deal, which the Seahawks and agent Kevin Poston spent today finalizing, includes $18.5 million worth of guarantees, including $10 million this season.

A Seahawks official confirmed the agreement in principle with the linebacker the San Francisco 49ers designated their franchise player one year ago.

Even with Peterson's mega-contract, the Seahawks still have the wherewithal to match the $49 million offer sheet Pro Bowl guard Steve Hutcinson signed with the Vikings. The Seahawks had to announce their decision by tonight at midnight ET.

And they are not done there. Still in place is a contingent deal for defensive end John Abraham, whom the Seahawks have the exclusive negotiating rights for from the New York Jets in exchange for Seattle's first-round pick.

Already this offseason, the Seahawks have re-signed NFL MVP running back Shaun Alexander and defensive tackle Rocky Bernard.

But now, the Seahawks are bolstering their defensive line, landing Peterson tonight and former Arizona Cardinals defensive tackle Russell Davis over the weekend.

Peterson now is expected to start ahead of D.D. Lewis, and the Seahawks also could use him as a pass-rushing end. But the NFC champion Seahawks have options for the 28-year-old Peterson, whom the Miami Dolphins also pursued until he reached agreement with Seattle.

With Peterson off the market, former Washington Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington now will be the most coveted defensive player available. His decision should come soon.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9324476

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hutch or Peterson?  I won't complain with this.

Seahawks nab Pro Bowl linebacker Peterson   

Adam Schefter    By Adam Schefter

NFL Analyst

(March 20, 2006) -- One of the busiest teams of the offseason struck again when the Seattle Seahawks reached agreement with former San Francisco linebacker Julian Peterson on a blockbuster seven-year, $54 million deal.

The deal, which the Seahawks and agent Kevin Poston spent today finalizing, includes $18.5 million worth of guarantees, including $10 million this season.

A Seahawks official confirmed the agreement in principle with the linebacker the San Francisco 49ers designated their franchise player one year ago.

Even with Peterson's mega-contract, the Seahawks still have the wherewithal to match the $49 million offer sheet Pro Bowl guard Steve Hutcinson signed with the Vikings. The Seahawks had to announce their decision by tonight at midnight ET.

And they are not done there. Still in place is a contingent deal for defensive end John Abraham, whom the Seahawks have the exclusive negotiating rights for from the New York Jets in exchange for Seattle's first-round pick.

Already this offseason, the Seahawks have re-signed NFL MVP running back Shaun Alexander and defensive tackle Rocky Bernard.

But now, the Seahawks are bolstering their defensive line, landing Peterson tonight and former Arizona Cardinals defensive tackle Russell Davis over the weekend.

Peterson now is expected to start ahead of D.D. Lewis, and the Seahawks also could use him as a pass-rushing end. But the NFC champion Seahawks have options for the 28-year-old Peterson, whom the Miami Dolphins also pursued until he reached agreement with Seattle.

With Peterson off the market, former Washington Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington now will be the most coveted defensive player available. His decision should come soon.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9324476

1379548[/snapback]

Now to pick up Abraham too

I like the players the 'hawks brought in this offseason, yet they seem to improve where they are already strong.  Where is a difference maker in the secondary?

1379593[/snapback]

I agree somewhat, the thing is, if you can get to the QB fast enough and make him double think things because of confusion you can make your CB's look much better than they are.

That being said, they do not have what I would call a standout guy at CB. I still think they are a top 5 defense if they also add Abraham.

I agree somewhat, the thing is, if you can get to the QB fast enough and make him double think things because of confusion you can make your CB's look much better than they are.

That being said, they do not have what I would call a standout guy at CB. I still think they are a top 5 defense if they also add Abraham.

1379599[/snapback]

Absoutely. Nate Clements is still available isn't he? Azumah?

1379599[/snapback]

You make a great point. The Eagles lived off rushing the QB for years, and it made Taylor/Vincent, and now Sheppard/Brown, look much better than they really were. How good were Taylor/Vincent when taken out of the Eagles system and forced to cover?? Average, at best.

This past year, when getting to the QB was a problem, Sheppard/Brown were somewhat exposed as less-than-stellar DBs.

If he stays healthy, Peterson is a great pick-up for the Hawks.

If Seattle gets Abraham too, this defense becomes a legit top 5 D next season.

1379563[/snapback]

Seattle signed Burleson to an offer sheet, which means they'll have to give up their 3rd round pick, if the Vikes don't match.

Would Seattle be comfortable going into the draft, with only a 2nd round pick day 1?

Seattle signed Burleson to an offer sheet, which means they'll have to give up their 3rd round pick, if the Vikes don't match.

Would Seattle be comfortable going into the draft, with only a 2nd round pick day 1?

1379831[/snapback]

How are they going to do better then Abraham and Burleson at 1 and 3?

DO the 49ers even try to win??  :D

1379561[/snapback]

I was wondering the same thing when I heard about this. Peterson would have stayed in San Fran if they offered him the money. Are they just stupid? It seems like they are going out of their way to blow. I realize the Raiders arn't much better, but at least they make meager efforts to aquire new talent, change coaching, etc... while San Fran just sits there. Their best signing so far is Bryant, after trading away Lloyd... :D

I was wondering the same thing when I heard about this. Peterson would have stayed in San Fran if they offered him the money. Are they just stupid? It seems like they are going out of their way to blow. I realize the Raiders arn't much better, but at least they make meager efforts to aquire new talent, change coaching, etc... while San Fran just sits there. Their best signing so far is Bryant, after trading away Lloyd...  :D

1379964[/snapback]

Glad to see someoone else see that as well.

Action speak louder than words.

Glad to see someoone else see that as well.

Action speak louder than words.

1379981[/snapback]

Not only do they not do anything, they allow division rivals to sign their Al-Pro Linebacker, when he wanted to stay with them. Now their crappy team goes against this Studly Linebacker twice a year, who could have been on their side.

9er fans must be :D

How are they going to do better then Abraham and Burleson at 1 and 3?

1379936[/snapback]

Not saying anything about Burleson for the 3rd. They've already made an offer to Burleson and if the Vikes don't match, that's it, the Hawks lose their 3rd.

My question was, if the Vikes don't match and the hawks do surrender their 3rd, do the Hawks also want to trade away their 1st, leaving them with only 1 pick day 1?

The way I see it, the Hawks have already addressed the D'line by adding DT's Rocky Bernard, Russell Davis & Peterson who can fill the pass rushing DE position.

Trading their #1 for Abraham, who, while a quality player, is really a one dimensional pass rushing DE. It just seems like overkill to me.

If I were the Hawks I'd keep the #1 (now that they've got Peterson) and use it to address the Defensive Backfield.

Maybe Ko Simpson with Hamlin being iffy? Also now that they've lost Hutch, you might see them go for the best available O'Lineman at the 31.

Point is, considering the Peterson signning and loss of Hutch, I don't think the Hawks really want go into the draft with only 1 pick the first day.

My .02 FWIW

Very pricy. I thought we had learned our lesson. Didn't we learn from paying for veterans like J. Randle, L. Kirkland, B. Taylor, J. Sharper, A. Dyson, & Grant Wistrom?? What about the whole thing where Holmgren admitted to this very mistake and vowed to switch to younger defensive players? Young and hungry right?? At it was working to perfection!! L. Hill, L. Tatupu, B. Fisher, M. Boulware, K. Hamlin. Young and hungry.

Believe it or not guys I'm gonna pull a 180 on ya and praise how much I love this signing. Julian Peterson is one of the best in the game. PERIOD. He had a subpar season last season right off a torn achilles. AND STILL WAS A PRO BOWL ALTERNATE. He is gonna love how the front four in front of him gets after the ball, and it is going to be a whole lotta fun to watch Julian and the young linebackers fly around.

Believe it or not guys I'm gonna pull a 180 on ya and praise how much I love this signing.  Julian Peterson is one of the best in the game.  PERIOD.  He had a subpar season last season right off a torn achilles.  AND STILL WAS A PRO BOWL ALTERNATE.  He is gonna love how the front four in front of him gets after the ball, and it is going to be a whole lotta fun to watch Julian and the young linebackers fly around.

1381266[/snapback]

Yep, and for all that he's only 27. This will turn out to be a great signing. Next stop, Cornerback...

Yep, and for all that he's only 27. This will turn out to be a great signing. Next stop, Cornerback...

1381341[/snapback]

I have to admit I'm a bit worried here. Will Allen and Sam Madison were the only FA's I thought were appealing. Has Dyson signed with someone else yet?? At least he's better than Herndon. Maybe Babineaux can start??

The guy I was really hoping for was Cromartie from FSU but I'm hearing his stock his rising to the 20th range.