[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seahawks sign Julian Peterson

bigbadwolf

I like the players the 'hawks brought in this offseason, yet they seem to improve where they are already strong.  Where is a difference maker in the secondary?

1379593[/snapback]

Wrong. Trufant is an excellent corner and getting better. Plus they will get Ken Hamlin back who is one of the best young S as well.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people underwestimate what Peterson did last year, for that matter all the 49'er LB'ers. they were the only part of that team that could take over the game with their dominance. I would be a happy Seahawk fan with that signing.

1381575[/snapback]

+1

They dominated and ravaged offensive lines.

Hello ..... They were Top 5 by the end of last year. Where did that stud ILB go to school? :D

1381634[/snapback]

Scoring Defense and sacks were really the only things the Seahawks did particularly great defensively. Definitely not a top 5 defense in terms of yardage.

But definitely looking to be. :D

Scoring Defense and sacks were really the only things the Seahawks did particularly great defensively.  Definitely not a top 5 defense in terms of yardage. 

But definitely looking to be. :D

1383675[/snapback]

And getting better.

Hamlin says he's going to be fine, according to the team it's still up in the air. The fact that they haven't signed a starter-type safety kind of indicates to me that the Seahawks think he is going to be okay.

I have to disagree a bit with the Trufant evaluation. He's good, I disagree with excellent. He gets beat deep too often to be excellent. I also disagree that he is improving. He was better in his rookie season than he has been at any point since. I envisioned him being an elite, shut-down type, which simply hasn't happened. He did seem to turn it up a bit in the playoffs this season, maybe he's ready to take that next step.

The potential playmaker of the group seems to be Michael Boulware. Not particularly great at anything but is always around the ball and has good ballskills. He just has those quick reflexes that allow him to get a hand on a lot of errant, deflected, or bobbled passes. Good football player and even better athlete.

Edited by Seahawks21

Hamlin says he's going to be fine, according to the team it's still up in the air.  The fact that they haven't signed a starter-type safety kind of indicates to me that the Seahawks think he is going to be okay. 

I have to disagree a bit with the Trufant evaluation.  He's good, I disagree with excellent.  He gets beat deep too often to be excellent.  I also disagree that he is improving.  He was better in his rookie season than he has been at any point since.  I envisioned him being an elite, shut-down type, which simply hasn't happened.  He did seem to turn it up a bit in the playoffs this season, maybe he's ready to take that next step.

The potential playmaker of the group seems to be Michael Boulware.  Not particularly great at anything but is always around the ball and has good ballskills.  He just has those quick reflexes that allow him to get a hand on a lot of errant, deflected, or bobbled passes.  Good football player and even better athlete.

1383787[/snapback]

Don't forget Babineaux. He showed some real flashes of brilliance last year...

Don't forget Babineaux. He showed some real flashes of brilliance last year...

1383792[/snapback]

Ooooh good one! Big play Babs!! Think there is any chance he starts over Herndon?? He isn't a bad golfer either

Ooooh good one!  Big play Babs!!  Think there is any chance he starts over Herndon??  He isn't a bad golfer either

1383802[/snapback]

He could beat out Herndon I think. It's my guess that his success last year was a factor in Ruskell's decision to cut Dyson.

Hamlin says he's going to be fine, according to the team it's still up in the air.  The fact that they haven't signed a starter-type safety kind of indicates to me that the Seahawks think he is going to be okay. 

I have to disagree a bit with the Trufant evaluation.  He's good, I disagree with excellent.  He gets beat deep too often to be excellent.  I also disagree that he is improving.  He was better in his rookie season than he has been at any point since.  I envisioned him being an elite, shut-down type, which simply hasn't happened.  He did seem to turn it up a bit in the playoffs this season, maybe he's ready to take that next step.

The potential playmaker of the group seems to be Michael Boulware.  Not particularly great at anything but is always around the ball and has good ballskills.  He just has those quick reflexes that allow him to get a hand on a lot of errant, deflected, or bobbled passes.  Good football player and even better athlete.

1383787[/snapback]

Totally disagree..... Truafant is the playmaker in the secondary- he may get beat deep- most CB do at some point, but alot of has to do with the SS & FS he has been playing with. Those guys have not been good at rotating and giving Tru the help a good safety would. Guy is one of the best young corners in the L. For him to be a shut down corner- he has to have some over the top help from the safety. Boulware is improving, but he needs to improve his pass/ball skills. Still learning the ropes of playing safety.

Totally disagree..... Truafant is the playmaker in the secondary- he may get beat deep- most CB do at some point, but alot of has to do with the SS & FS he has been playing with. Those guys have not been good at rotating and giving Tru the help a good safety would. Guy is one of the best young corners in the L. For him to be a shut down corner- he has to have some over the top help from the safety. Boulware is improving,  but he needs to improve his pass/ball skills. Still learning the ropes of playing safety.

1384770[/snapback]

I know this is nitpicking--you can call Trufant a good corner, but he is NOT a PLAYMAKER. Dude has absolute bricks for hands. Furthermore, by definition, a shutdown corner doesn't need over the top help. That help is supposed to be slid to the other side. Tru also gets lost on crossing patterns. I'm not saying the guy is bad, I love the guy, I was just expecting a lot more by now.

When a shutdown corner gets beat over the top, he catches up.

Edited by Seahawks21

I know this is nitpicking--you can call Trufant a good corner, but he is NOT a PLAYMAKER.  Dude has absolute bricks for hands.  Furthermore, by definition, a shutdown corner doesn't need over the top help.  That help is supposed to be slid to the other side.  Tru also gets lost on crossing patterns.  I'm not saying the guy is bad, I love the guy, I was just expecting a lot more by now.

When a shutdown corner gets beat over the top, he catches up.

1385625[/snapback]

I dunno, I think he is excellent- there are not many I would take over Tru to be honest with you. As for S help- the way O has evolved S help is needed. Who exaclty is a by your definition- shutdown corner in the NFL right now? Tough call, very few IMO.

I dunno, I think he is excellent- there are not many I would take over Tru to be honest with you. As for S help- the way O has evolved S help is needed. Who exaclty is a by your definition- shutdown corner in the NFL right now? Tough call, very few IMO.

1385868[/snapback]

No, I totally agree, it is a very short list. One short list that he will never be on.

I dunno.  I'm sure all the major networks are gonna give teams like Dallas, Washington, Atlanta and Minnesota (again) a lotta airplay.

1387459[/snapback]

They might get the airplay, but the Seahawks have definitely proved themselves as a very legitimate powerhouse team.

How many teams in the NFC have a legitimate chance of stopping them? I'd say of those teams listen Dallas is the closest with Washington following behind but it's hard to say at this point. Maybe, uh, Burleson will help the team get that one last game solidified? *heh* But then again, I'd much rather keep my eye on the health of D. Jackson. If he can't stay healthy the teams WR's still need that go-to-guy to compliment their running game.

Lets just say Seattle should be considered the favorite to win the NFC again.

1386637[/snapback]

A rematch in the Superbowl would be fun ... maybe this time it can be the weather's fault when Pittsburgh beats Seattle. :D Regardless, I like this signing and though the first glance numbers on this contract and the Burleson contract make me roll my eyes, I do have to give kudos to the Seahawks management for getting active and trying to make a great team even better. :D

I dunno.  I'm sure all the major networks are gonna give teams like Dallas, Washington, Atlanta and Minnesota (again) a lotta airplay.

1387459[/snapback]

Atlanta? :D Past five years' records: 8-8 (eeek), 11-5 (nice), 5-11 (ouch), 9-6-1 (ehh), 7-9 (eeuu) ... 40-39-1 in Vick's tenure ... and they've added no one of note to the 8-8 team? Surrrrre, crappy shoes from spammers will pay a lot to get the hype for Vick, but in terms of a threat to win more than half their games next year? Possibly, but just bearly. To win it all? :D

Dallas may be a team to watch -- I think they've improved and if they can stay healthy ...

The Redskins? I think they are a collection of pieces that don't match real well. Maybe they'll surprise me -- but without a QB to hold it all together, I think the wheels will come off before they roll over tooo many teams. The Vikings? Better maybe, but not nearly enough. Seattle is peaking at a great time in the NFC.

I doubt we'll see the Steelers back in the SB next year. They happened to have a very good (and lucky) run during the playoffs (kudos to them) but it's hard to see them returning THAT soon to the Superbowl.

1387890[/snapback]

:D Sadly, there could be truth here. Still, if they draft well, and if everything goes their way (again), and if Big Ben stays healthy, and if they don't turn the ball over like geese (who do tend to turn the ball over since they lack arms not to mention thumbs) ... :D:D:D

:D IT COULD HAPPEN :D

:D

:D IT COULD HAPPEN :D

1387895[/snapback]

You are right that is COULD happen. I mean, not many people would have guessed they would make it last year, so anything goes. But you have to remember that teams like the Colts, Bengals, and Broncos stand in their way every year. :D Although of those three teams, the Broncos don't seem like the best challanger to be throwing at the Steelers.