[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Griese visits Chicago

DMD

Because they need more QBs coming back from injury.

Bears doing best to pin down Griese

March 21, 2006

BY BRAD BIGGS Staff Reporter 

The Bears made a push to sign quarterback Brian Griese on Monday night after a meeting of minds in Florida between offensive coordinator Ron Turner and Griese went very well, a source familiar with the situation said.

Whether the Bears are able to sign Griese is now largely up to him as he considers his options, which include the chance to push starter Rex Grossman but no guarantee of playing time.

"We're in discussions right now,'' agent Ralph Cindrich said late Monday.

Cindrich indicated he was talking with multiple teams, including the Cincinnati Bengals, but Griese has visited only the Bears and Bengals. Cindrich said he planned to speak with the Bengals again today, and the situation could be finalized soon.

Turner traveled to Florida to meet with Griese after a prior commitment kept him away from Halas Hall over the weekend, when the free agent visited and took a physical.

Griese's visit to Cincinnati is viewed as a somewhat curious match because the Bengals already have one quarterback rehabilitating from a knee injury in Carson Palmer. Griese tore the ACL and MCL in his left knee in mid-October but is expected to be fully cleared in time for training camp. If the Bears sign Griese, he is expected to be the No. 2 quarterback, pushing Kyle Orton to the No. 3 role.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers had hoped to keep Griese for a reduced price but wound up releasing him in a salary-cap move to avoid paying a $2.6 million roster bonus. The Bucs could re-enter the picture if he agrees to lower pay to back up Chris Simms.

Cindrich also represents veteran Jeff Blake, who would like to return to the Bears. Blake did not get any substantial practice time last season, but when he entered the season finale at Minnesota, the offense zipped down the field and scored.

"It was so obvious to everybody,'' Blake said. "All I did was go in there and do my thing.

"I really like Rex. Rex is going to be a good player. I know I can show him a lot of stuff. I can't take this knowledge with me. I've got to share it with somebody.''

Blake said he gets the feeling team officials throughout the league think he's older than he is. He just turned 35 and has not had any serious health issues recently.

"Nobody ever mentions age with Jeff Garcia [36],'' Blake said. "He and Brad Johnson [37] are both older than I am. A lot of teams miss out on good quarterbacks. They have a starter and then they have a young guy behind him, and as soon as the starter goes down, they call one of us. They get someone they know can play. Why don't they just have us in the first place?''

At 31, Griese is younger and would provide general manager Jerry Angelo with the kind of backup he has talked about acquiring for several seasons.

I actually think that Grossman could develope into a good QB if he could just remain healthy for more than 24 hours at a time. It does not appear he can.

Griese is a pretty good QB; at least, he was in Tampa. But my concern has less to do with his health, or even a crowded QB competition. My concern is that the Bears like to run and play good defense, rather than throw the ball. So while Griese could be an upgrade for the Bears for NFL purposes, his value for fantasy will likley end up being less than what it was two seasons ago.

I'm one of the biggest rex cheerleaders here, i think if he stays healthy for 3 years straight, I would not be surprised if he is a probowler.

That being said, if he gets hurt again this year we have to cut him. I refuse to act like some cub fans do about mark prior.

If I were a Bears fan, I'd love to have Griese as my starting QB... especially with that defense and a pretty good running game. If all Griese has to do is manage the game and make a few throws, this team could be really good.

That being said, I'm not a Bears fan, so I'm praying that Griese signs elsewhere.

I'm very happy with this signing. It says that Angelo is finally wising up and understanding the concerns. They should open up the competition between Griese and Grossman. I love Rex too but he needs to be challenged. Griese can make the throws they need someone to make in this offense. He is good for almost two TD's a game. His knee is a big question though.

I wonder what Grossman is thinking.

I'm very happy with this signing. It says that Angelo is finally wising up and understanding the concerns. They should open up the competition between Griese and Grossman. I love Rex too but he needs to be challenged. Griese can make the throws they need someone to make in this offense. He is good for almost two TD's a game. His knee is a big question though.

I wonder what Grossman is thinking.

1381379[/snapback]

I love the signing! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Memo to Grossman: You're on the hot seat, bub. Stay healthy and produce...or else.

Here is the lowdown from Associated Press:

Griese agrees to five-year deal with Bears

March 21, 2006

CHICAGO (AP) -- Brian Griese agreed to a five-year deal with the Chicago Bears on Tuesday, adding depth at quarterback and a potential challenger to starter Rex Grossman.

"I don't think there's any question he's going into the position to compete for the job," Griese's agent Ralph Cindrich said. "That was made clear."

The 31-year-old Griese completed 112-of-174 passes for 1,136 yards and led Tampa Bay to a 5-1 start last year before a season-ending knee injury. The Buccaneers decided to waive him this month rather than pay a $2.6 million roster bonus.

Griese has passed for 16,344 yards and 103 touchdowns in eight seasons with Denver, Miami and Tampa Bay.

Cindrich said Griese passed physicals with the Bears, Cincinnati and Tampa Bay, and "he'll be ready to go" in time for minicamp. Cindrich, who would not reveal the financial terms of the deal, said the contract will likely be signed on Wednesday.

The Bears have said they are committed to Grossman as their starter, but Griese has started 72 of 75 games in his career.

Cindrich said the Bears made no promises

After tearing the ACL in his right knee early in the 2004 season, Grossman broke his left ankle in the preseason and missed the first 13 games. Chad Hutchinson flopped, and rookie Kyle Orton began the season as the starting quarterback.

Behind a defense that was ranked No. 1 for much of the season, a strong offensive line and effective running game, the Bears went 11-5 and reached the playoffs for the first time since 2001.

Grossman's numbers -- 20-of-39 passing for 259 yards in two games -- weren't overwhelming, but the passing game opened up when he returned.

I'm one of the biggest rex cheerleaders here, i think if he stays healthy for 3 years straight, I would not be surprised if he is a probowler.

That being said, if he gets hurt again this year we have to cut him. I refuse to act like some cub fans do about mark prior.

1380449[/snapback]

Grossman would never, ever make the Pro Bowl with the Bear offense operating as it currently operates.

The injuries are obviously of concern, hence the Greise signing, which is a good thing. I think Blake wasn't given his due in terms of trying to land the starting job, though. He can hurl the rock.

Grossman would never, ever make the Pro Bowl with the Bear offense operating as it currently operates. 

1381921[/snapback]

I think if rex plays for 3 straight years he will be better than Michael Vick who was a probowler.

Now I also don’t believe that rex will be able to stay healthy that long.

im talking real football not fantasy.

I think if rex plays for 3 straight years he will be better than Michael Vick who was a probowler.

Now I also don’t believe that rex will be able to stay healthy that long.

im talking real football not fantasy.

1382026[/snapback]

sooooooooo...

he'll be better than a probowler who shouldn't have been a probowler

:guiness: BRILLIANT! :guiness: