[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brooks a Raider

keggerz

ALAMEDA - The Oakland Raiders made their first major move of the free-agent signing period Tuesday, agreeing to terms with quarterback Aaron Brooks on a contract, according to two NFL sources. Terms were not immediately available.

Brooks, who started 82 games for the New Orleans Saints from 2000-2005, will replace the unpopular Kerry Collins, who was 7-21 over the past two seasons.

The Raiders brought in Brooks for a visit Monday night; he visited with the Raiders on Tuesday, and stayed in Oakland Tuesday night when it became apparent the two sides were nearing a deal.

Brooks, who turns 30 on Friday, has ability similar to Collins in that he can throw the deep pass, but has good mobility, with 1,410 career rushing yards and 13 touchdowns.

As a second-year player in 2000, Brooks led the Saints to the only playoff win in franchise history, a 31-28 victory over the St. Louis Rams. He had a 43-43 career record until going 3-10 in 2005, losing his job to Todd Bouman.

Brooks was waived last week when the Saints signed Drew Brees to a free-agent contract.

Bringing in Brooks buys the Raiders some time if they are considering drafting one of the three top quarterbacks in the NFL Draft. The other quarterbacks on the Oakland roster are veteran Marques Tuiasosopo, who started one game last season, and second-year man Andrew Walter, who has not taken a snap from center in a regular-season game.

Link

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now your best quarterback is on your bench.

1383378[/snapback]

i dont know why but maybe they just dont think Walters is ready yet or maybe they still think they can compete OR

maybe you are just blindly loyal to the NW :D

Edited by keggerz

Brooks has talent. He could be good if someone could get him to make better decisions.

They may try him and if they aren't confident could make him the backup. They may use him for 1 year until Walter is ready too. It's all speculation at this point.

Aaron F'n Brooks?!? As a lifelong Saints fan, I've got two words for you:

Good Luck! :D

Brooks has talent. He could be good if someone could get him to make better decisions.

1383399[/snapback]

That's the problem, he could be one of those QB's that can't be helped. Maybe I'm wrong and the former mayor of Swann Valley - their new O-coordinator will get through to him. :D

The "NW"?  You mean the Northwest? If so, Walter (no "s"! :D) went to Arizona State.

1383403[/snapback]

:D

I am sure he has a tie to the North West in some capacity if 21 is pimpin him

i guess i had stan walters on the brain

That's the problem, he could be one of those QB's that can't be helped.  Maybe I'm wrong and the former mayor of Swann Valley - their new O-coordinator will get through to him. :D

1383435[/snapback]

You are right, he could be. If they don't put all their eggs in his basket and give him a shot but prepare in case he fails they should be OK.

I hope they figure that out soon.

What do Raiders fans think?

As a Virginia fan I admit I am biased and I have certainly not had to live and die with his mistakes in the NFL since I am not a Saints fan, but...I think this is a good move for Brooks and for the Raiders. Worst case scenario they have bought some time to develope someone else and best case they may have found someone with more upside than many think.

as a brooks dynasty owner, my big question is whether they now go out and draft a qb at 7.  they have too many other needs to draft a project, IMO. 

would love to have brooks there for a year or two and see the job go to walter.

1383581[/snapback]

hard to say. i have a hard time believing they will have too much faith in brooks to change their draft strategy. If one of the top 3 guys are available i can see them taking a qb.

As a Raider fan, I like the move. I think giving Brooks a change of scenary is what he needs, and now he has some serious talent at WR and consistancy at RB.

His mobility and arm are the big thing here. Defenses will play deep to cover Moss, and as soon as they go too deep, he can take off running. And once they start to play up to stop his scrambling, he bombs it to Moss in single coverage.

Decision making is a problem, but in Oakland he has something that he didn't in NO, and thats a pass catching RB he can dump it off to if he gets in trouble (which I'm sure he will). Collins couldn't scramble worth squat, so what did he do when he was in trouble? Dump it off to Jordan.

If you want my honest prediction, I think the Raiders will draft Vince Young and cut Tui. Vince will mentor under Brooks and the Scramble/Deep Bomb method for the season, and next season Brooks is on the bench. From what I've heard, Al Davis has a huge man crush on Young, and wants him bad. And I think Young will be a good fit in Oakland. Al Davis mentioned to McCown they were going after a QB in the draft, and McCown ran out of the building and straight to Detroit.

Brooks = Short term solution, but fits the mold of the QB type we need

Young = Oakland's next franchise quarterback

If you see Arrington lower his price tag a bit, look for the Raiders to try and strike there to get him on the same LB corps as Morrison and Clark. Oakland also signed Tyrone Poole earlier this week to fill some holes in the secondary.

Just a Raider fan's two cents.

hard to say.  i have a hard time believing they will have too much faith in brooks to change their draft strategy.  If one of the top 3 guys are available i can see them taking a qb.

1383611[/snapback]

I just dont see it. You have still have Walter (a 3rd rounder just last year) sitting in the wings who has looked good ... even assuming that you have totally given up on Tui ...

Decision making is a problem, but in Oakland he has something that he didn't in NO, and thats a pass catching RB he can dump it off to if he gets in trouble (which I'm sure he will). Collins couldn't scramble worth squat, so what did he do when he was in trouble? Dump it off to Jordan.

1383615[/snapback]

:D

You make this way too easy:

Pass receptions for Saint RBs:

2001 - 79

2002 - 62

2003 - 78

2004 - 67

2005 - 76

Come on buddy, if you are going to post stuff, at least do some research, it ain't that hard...

The "NW"?  You mean the Northwest? If so, Walter (no "s"! :D) went to Arizona State.

1383403[/snapback]

Who's this Walter guy?? :D Tui will end this season as the starting quarterback. Brooks is too horrible. Tui will lead a comeback around week 10 and help the Raiders finish hot this year. Honestly I refuse to hear from any nay-sayers on Tui. How would you know?? The guy just hasn't gotten a chance to show his ridiculous athleticism, character, talent, leadership, and winning ability. Admittedly, he isn't the most accurate passer, but the guy just makes plays. He has IT. How accurate do you really have to be with Randy, Porter and Jordan? I just hope to god you guys get to see how talented Tui is before he gets old.

K. Guys, sorry bout this one. I've been sitting on this Tui thing, and Napoleon Kaufman thing for too long. I really am pumped about Tui this year. Aaron Brooks' backup!! A handful of QBs lose their jobs to lack of production every year....Brooks has got to have at least decent odds of being one of em. I hope Tui gets his chance soon before the Raiders bypass him again in favor of Andrew Walter.

Edited by Seahawks21

Ok... another Raider fan checking in here...

It'd not what I would have done, nor is it what I think they should have done (for that, I have been quite vocal on signing McCown and drafting defense at #1). Signing Brooks is ok, so long as he can stop playing stupid. Just 2 years ago he was a top 5 QB in the league, so it's not as if he is void of talent. Just inteligence. Funny in that they are gonna draft another QB who seems to be quite the botard.

But it is a situation with a lot of upside, if he can regain his bearing and take advantage of the mutiple threats he has on this team (really, Horn and McCalister were a great combo) and not throw any backward passes to the Defense, we might have a a decent starter.

Now we can cut loose dead weight like Tui, the guy has been overachieving for so long as a clipboard holder. But really, he's gettign too old for the board, and it's time they eithe rsent him packign to the CFL to hold a clipboard or they make him an equipment guy like he's trained his whole life to be... :D

Edited by The Vatican Hitsquad

Pass receptions for Saint RBs:

2001 - 79

2002 - 62

2003 - 78

2004 - 67

2005 - 76

Come on buddy, if you are going to post stuff, at least do some research, it ain't that hard...

1383656[/snapback]

RB Receptions for Raiders in 2005 - 90 (70 of which by Lamont alone)

Jordan, himself also got 50 more recieving yards (563) then all of the Saints RB's combined (513).

If we are talking about a (one, not 3 that sub in for the injured starter) running back that is able to be a consistant, reliable escape plan for the Quarterback, Lamont Jordan is much better than Deuce McAllister ever was/will be. And that, plus Randy Moss could be what turns Brooks' career around.

Edited by kpholmes