[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another mock (by me)

Swiss Cheezhead

I can see Tennessee taking Leinart, as they will definitely use the 1.3 pick on a QB if they dont trade it. But I dont know that they go LB in round 2 with the recent signing of Thornton. But they might. This is the 1st draft in a while where they have the luxury of selecting the best player on the board rather than drafting for need. After they get a QB in round 1 that is...

I can see Tennessee taking Leinart, as they will definitely use the 1.3 pick on a QB if they dont trade it.  But I dont know that they go LB in round 2 with the recent signing of Thornton.  But they might.  This is the 1st draft in a while where they have the luxury of selecting the best player on the board rather than drafting for need.  After they get a QB in round 1 that is...

1386328[/snapback]

What position do you expect them to target other than LB?

They still don't have anybody to play the middle, so I figured D'Qwell would be a great fit.

I can see Tennessee taking Leinart, as they will definitely use the 1.3 pick on a QB if they dont trade it.  But I dont know that they go LB in round 2 with the recent signing of Thornton.  But they might.  This is the 1st draft in a while where they have the luxury of selecting the best player on the board rather than drafting for need.  After they get a QB in round 1 that is...

1386328[/snapback]

What about RB? Do you think they are okay with Brown and Henry, or do you think they take a RB in the top 3 rounds that might develop into their long term starter?

So, would you agree with what I wrote above (and, er, below)?

I'm curious what you think the chances are of it happening.

1386304[/snapback]

i honestly don't have any insight as to what they're thinking of doing with those two first rounders. there are several plausible theories about what they were thinking moving up from 29 to 15...

1> they really like a WR at 15, probably santonio holmes but maybe chad jackson.

2> they really like lendale white, and think he might slide that far.

3> they really like some other player at 15

4> they want to package their picks and move up, and they didn't think the 8-10 range they could get in with 22+29 was good enough, they needed to get into the top 5.

4a> they want to get into the top 5 to go after a QB

4b> they want to get into the top 5 to go after someone like mario williams.

or maybe they just saw an opportunity to move up 15 places and thought that the value was too good to pass up.

in any case, i can see merit to all of these scenarios. if they got holmes at 15, then another solid player like maroney or a DE at 22, that would be pretty nice. or lendale white, the hometown boy, that would be nice as well. i would be very psyched long-term if they added VY, a little less psyched if they nabbed cutler but still intrigued -- but short term you'd have to be looking at a step backwards, as they'd be passing on the opportunity to add immediate difference makers. but i have to admit, i like the mario williams scenario best. you get an absolute blue-chip stud who can come right in and improve an area of weakness. i HOPE that's what they were thinking, stepping into the abraham deal (a player they'd initially targeted) coming out with a way to do the next better thing. one thing though...if that's what they're hoping, to move up to 5 to get mario, i have a funny feeling the saints COULD spoil the party by taking him at 2. i've heard they really like him...

Edited by Azazello1313

one thing though...if that's what they're hoping, to move up to 5 to get mario, i have a funny feeling the saints COULD spoil the party by taking him at 2.  i've heard they really like him...

1386366[/snapback]

I don't see that at all. There's just no way a team like the Saints, with so many needs, would take a player at the position where the team is strongest. Charles Grant and Will Smith are as good as it gets at DE -- they're both at Peppers's level, so they wouldn't be doing anything with Super Mario but taking playing time way from their most talented players.

I don't see that at all. There's just no way a team like the Saints, with so many needs, would take a player at the position where the team is strongest. Charles Grant and Will Smith are as good as it gets at DE -- they're both at Peppers's level, so they wouldn't be doing anything with Super Mario but taking playing time way from their most talented players.

1386387[/snapback]

well, i would tend to agree. but i've seen that rumor more than one place, i know mel kiper was one of them. but if they stay where they are at 2, or swap with the jets back to 4 (the two most likely scenarios), either way there are really only two players who would be in the running for them...ferguson and williams. ferguson would definitely seem to make more sense, but i don't know that i'd bet the farm against them taking mario.

well, i would tend to agree.  but i've seen that rumor more than one place, i know mel kiper was one of them.  but if they stay where they are at 2, or swap with the jets back to 4 (the two most likely scenarios), either way there are really only two players who would be in the running for them...ferguson and williams.  ferguson would definitely seem to make more sense, but i don't know that i'd bet the farm against them taking mario.

1386410[/snapback]

Oh, I've heard the rumor, too, but I have to believe that they're floating it because they realize Williams is the most coveted non-QB in the draft and they'd like to find a trading partner.

If they stay where they are, they'll take Ferguson, without a doubt. If they trade down, they'd take Hawk before Williams and, yeah, I'd bet the farm on that.

Anyway, thanks for your Broncos commentary. :D

:D

Gosh I hope the Vikings have a chance for Ernie Sims if they don't trade up. With free agency done, that is the most glaring need. That guy will be just like a Brooks and will fit the cover two 2 scheme good. I read somewhere that he has had a lot of concussions  in college. I wonder if he will drop for that.

I really think the top three QB's will not go so high like your mock has them. We may be able to trade up in picks 6-10 and not cost as much as a second would.

1385888[/snapback]

I love the Sims pick, I have a feeling if the Vikes are going to take a QB in the second it would most likly be Brodie instead of Omar. Call it a hunch, but Childeress didn't like Daunte and Omar I think is going to be the same QB just a bit smaller.

As far as the Bolts are concerned I like this mock draft just about as much as your first one. You're still picking Justice for the Bolts in the first round and a CB in the second round (although I hope Joseph becomes a Charger instead of Jennings).

Edited by Chargerz

Not sure if you have heard some of the noise emmanating from Oakland and on NFL Network, but apparently the writing is on the wall for the Raiders to select a QB with the #7 pick.

They signed Brooks to a 2-year deal, essentially setting up a scenario where they will draft Vince Young, give him two years to mature (if thats possible for the Wonderlic-boy), and hand him the reigns in 2008.

My hometown Eagles will be definitely be going OL with their #14 pick, and may even trade down since their isn't a no-brainer on the board. They apaprently love Justice, but feel, like you do, they can get him a handful of picks later. They are hoping someone slips to 14, and a team behind them offers an extra 3rd-rounder to move up.

Nice job! :D

1386023[/snapback]

if a team offers a 3rd rounder to move up...that sets up a potential Javon Walker trade...

but since H Thomas is out of the question now, I wonder who we'd have to offer...