[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fresh Trout

The Holy Roller

Going on our annual spring break fishing trip to Bennett Springs State Park near Lebannon, Missouri. This tradition started about ten years ago when a bunch of the coaches at the school I teach at got together and spent a few days there fishing, eating, and consuming adult beverages.

First night is always fish-fry night (even though trout isn't the best fish to fry). Anyone got any good ways of preparing fresh trout other than frying? Nothing too girlie, though. And it must go with beer, lots of beer.

well..... outside of fishsticks, lobster rolls, and smashing crabs... i don't think fish is a "beer" food.

for your fish fry:

beer batter-

1 C dark bier

1 C flour

2 tbs old bay

pinch of salt and pepper

let sit for 15 min

for and easy alternative-

1 C butter

1/2 C flour

juice of 1 lemon

brown your butter without burning it. lightly dredge filets with flour. saute. pour brown butter on filet... drizzle lemon juice

(this is a poor man's version of a muniere sauce)....easy and very good

well..... outside of fishsticks, lobster rolls, and smashing crabs... i don't think fish is a "beer" food.

for your fish fry:

beer batter-

1 C dark bier

1 C flour

2 tbs old bay

pinch of salt and pepper

let sit for 15 min

for and easy alternative-

1 C butter

1/2 C flour

juice of 1 lemon

brown your butter without burning it. lightly dredge filets with flour. saute. pour brown butter on filet... drizzle lemon juice

(this is a poor man's version of a muniere sauce)....easy and very good

1388639[/snapback]

[/quote

I thought every food was beer food. :D

Going on our annual spring break fishing trip to Bennett Springs State Park near Lebannon, Missouri.  This tradition started about ten years ago when a bunch of the coaches at the school I teach at got together and spent a few days there fishing, eating, and consuming adult beverages.

First night is always fish-fry night (even though trout isn't the best fish to fry).  Anyone got any good ways of preparing fresh trout other than frying?  Nothing too girlie, though.  And it must go with beer, lots of beer.

1388630[/snapback]

I like to put trout(whole or fillets) in tin foil.Add some sliced onion,peppers,diced tomatoe,salt and pepper.A few small chunks of butter and seal 'em up.Should only take maybe 10 minutes(depending on how hot your heat is).Helps to spray the foil lightly first.Also if you use the whole trout you can wrap a slice of bacon around it first.

I love to fish and love trout, so I've cooked them a number of ways.

I do the tin foil thing more often than not, just because there aren't a lot of kitchens in the back country. :D Lemon, butter, salt & pepper.

My absolute favotie is to build a fire just before dawn on the shore of a lake or stream and get a cast iron frying pan nice and not.

Catch a trout or two, clean and throw in said pan with a little butter, salt and pepper and breakfast is served. It doesn't get any fresher than that.

If I'm really feeling like doing it up right, I'll throw a few dutch oven potatoes from the previous night in the frying pan along with the fish.

I love to fish and love trout, so I've cooked them a number of ways.

My absolute favotie is to build a fire just before dawn on the shore of a lake or stream and get a cast iron frying pan nice and not. 

Catch a trout or two, clean and throw in said pan with a little butter, salt and pepper and breakfast is served.  It doesn't get any fresher than that. 

1388971[/snapback]

Close... real close.... :D

Must be a cast iron skillet... (as you state) ... hot.... on a real campfire.

After fish is cleaned roll in pancake flour with salt and pepper. Pancake flour gives it a different and better taste than just reg all purpose flour. (Usually trave with a bag of flour already to go.)

Throw that puppy into the skillet.. if it is as hot as it should be a min or less on one side and a min or less on the other and you are ready to go with a crispy outside.

Love fresh trout and it has to be on a campfire. Um um mmmmm....

After fish is cleaned roll in pancake flour with salt and pepper. Pancake flour gives it a different and better taste than just reg all purpose flour. (Usually trave with a bag of flour already to go.)

Throw that puppy into the skillet.. if it is as hot as it should be a min or less on one side and a min or less on the other and you are ready to go with a crispy outside.

1389534[/snapback]

Yeah boy now we're talkin'!!

Just back from two days of absolutely slaying rainbow trout!! The weather was perfect, the fish were very cooperative.

And I pan fried some with the pancake flour in my cast iron skillet. Five stars!

Later grilled some in foil with butter, salt/pepper, lemon juice. Five stars again!!

And got to try a new beer (to me anyway), Boulevard Wheat out of KC. Smooth and delicious, stream cooled.

I live a GREAT life!!!!

Thanks again for the advice. I thought of my Huddle brethren a couple of times. :D:D

Just back from two days of absolutely slaying rainbow trout!!  The weather was perfect, the fish were very cooperative.

And I pan fried some with the pancake flour in my cast iron skillet.  Five stars!

1393766[/snapback]

55 years of cooking trout outside as it should be. I am very serious about my trout! I wouldn't have steered you wrong. :D

Glad you had a good time and excellent fishing. :D

Just back from two days of absolutely slaying rainbow trout!!  The weather was perfect, the fish were very cooperative.

And I pan fried some with the pancake flour in my cast iron skillet.  Five stars!

Later grilled some in foil with butter, salt/pepper, lemon juice.  Five stars again!!

And got to try a new beer (to me anyway),  Boulevard Wheat out of KC.  Smooth and delicious, stream cooled.

I live a GREAT life!!!!

Thanks again for the advice.  I thought of my Huddle brethren a couple of times. :D    :D

1393766[/snapback]

Very nice HR. Trout opens here in 9 days - got my gear all set up and ready to go.

Two of my favorite ways to prepare trout:

1. Pan fry, remove skin. Throw on McCormick Cajun spices and fry into fish.

or

2. Throw em in my smoker with some mesquite chips. Amazingly tasty.

Edited by Wolv

• 3 months later...

Headed to the Adirondacks next week for my annual retreat to the great north. We're talkin wild brookies in abundance :D If its anything like last year, I'll be giving the skillet a workout as shown above.

Headed to the Adirondacks next week for my annual retreat to the great north. We're talkin wild brookies in abundance :D If its anything like last year, I'll be giving the skillet a workout as shown above.

:DEnjoy!

I'm still trying to squeze a trip into the back country for trout this summer. I find my self leering at my fly rod leaning in the corner of the garage every morning as I leave for work. :D

Great pic. :D

Thanks - that kid is a born fisherman. He was casting a spinning reel by himself before he turned 4. Unlike most kids, he's pretty patient too. He keeps fishing when other other kids have run off to do something else.

Get your boy a fishing rod, Chief. Look forward to some truly awesome times together. :D

Thanks - that kid is a born fisherman. He was casting a spinning reel by himself before he turned 4. Unlike most kids, he's pretty patient too. He keeps fishing when other other kids have run off to do something else.

Get your boy a fishing rod, Chief. Look forward to some truly awesome times together. :D

He's developing one of the best traits of all. Patients. He will go far if he got that down to a tee already. I know 40 and 50 yr olds that dont have that.

I just ran across this pic and thought it would be a good addition to this thread. That's my boy Jacob putting in a hard day at the lake.

Take a kid fishing!

Awesome pic Jimmy. I have some of those of my daughter when she was little, but she won't touch one now...(a fishing pole that is).

Just got back from the Adirondacks...no trout :D Must be the flooding they had screwed it up. On the flip side, caught some awesome smallmouth with the flyrod. Unbelievable fighters!

• 3 weeks later...

I just ran across this pic and thought it would be a good addition to this thread. That's my boy Jacob putting in a hard day at the lake.

Take a kid fishing!

Great pic, Jimmy. Reminds me of taking my four to the local trout park (Meremec Springs, about 6 miles from the house) for their annual Kid's Fishing Day. Kids fish for free and they have contests all day long for'em. The youngest daughter had the best knack and loved going fishing. Alas, now they're all grown-up and busy being in their 20's. :D

One day they'll go fishing with dad again, :D .

And i tried the Pale Ale, Chief, and it's goood also, but the Wheat is my favorite. Bet it would really go good with some Gates BBQ. :D