[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Marinelli, could this be our bright spot?

BigTen

Marinelli intensely focused even in relaxed setting

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

By Tom Kowalski

ORLANDO -- The hour-long breakfast conversation was going along smoothly as Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli talked with a few reporters about the upcoming season and his expectations.

Marinelli, as usual, stayed on point, with his focus on hard work, details, toughness, energy and fundamentals. Since the day he took the job, he has never strayed from that message.

Things, though, got a little more intense late in the conversation when the subject drifted to non-football issues, like how Marinelli would deal with the media, if he was going to do radio and television shows, etc.

"I'm not thinking about it. I'm thinking about hustle and tempo," said Marinelli, who put his hands over his head, touching fingertips and making a large circle. Then he leaned in close to a reporter and, while peppering his comments with some salty language, he got his point across.

"There's a big circle of things to do, but I take the bulls-eye -- What wins? What really matters," Marinelli said, punching his finger into the bulls-eye of the imaginary circle, his voice steady and stern. "Without the bulls-eye, nothing else matters. That bulls-eye, that's who I am. Now, they drag me to these other things and I'll go when they drag me and that's OK, I'll do it. But (that bulls-eye) is who I am, that's what I work at."

Got it.

Marinelli, who was dragged to the annual owners' meetings in Florida for three days of meetings, is eager to get back to the bulls-eye.

"I'm uncomfortable leaving the office too much," said Marinelli, eating a breakfast of poached eggs and nothing else.

During his absence, the Lions are going through their second week of off-season workouts in Allen Park. During the first week, Marinelli was impressed with the team's athleticism and is now focusing on the details.

"They were doing it. You make immediate corrections when they don't," he said. "It's not screaming and yelling. You have to tell them `That's not quite good enough.' Once you let it slide, it's tough to get it back. It has to be a way of life. Once you start getting it, it's fun."

While there has been some expected grumbling from a few players, Marinelli dismisses it. He and key members of his staff, like offensive coordinator Mike Martz and defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, know what to expect when taking over a new team and changing the team's atmosphere and attitude.

"I've been through it, Martz has been through it and Donnie's been through it. And we've all won Super Bowls," Marinelli said. "You can go further in football with toughness and attitude than anything else. You just have to work at it. That's the fun part of football. If it was easy, anybody could do it.

"The fourth quarter is all about duress and who can function."

The grumbling from certain players is going to continue through the off-season workouts and into training camp. Marinelli and his staff has the fortitude to wait them out.

"I am so positive that these guys are going to love this," he said. "When guys see themselves getting better, they'll be patting us on the back, not grumbling."

That's why Marinelli never plans to take his eyes off the #$%#$% bulls-eye.

Quarterback Joey Harrington was scheduled to visit with the Miami Dolphins and head coach Nick Saban Tuesday night. After that, Harrington is expected to fly to Cincinnati to meet with the Bengals.

Other teams who have been granted permission by the Lions to interview Harrington are the Kansas City Chiefs, Seattle Seahawks and Oakland Raiders. The Lions are hoping to trade Harrington for a draft pick prior to the April college draft.

Marinelli said he has no timetable on picking a starting quarterback between Jon Kitna and Josh McCown.

"Hopefully, before the first game," he said. "I really don't have a timetable for it. It could be quick or it could come later (in training camp)."

Keep the faith Lions fans! :D

Marinelli intensely focused even in relaxed setting

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

By Tom Kowalski

ORLANDO -- The hour-long breakfast conversation was going along smoothly as Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli talked with a few reporters about the upcoming season and his expectations.

Marinelli, as usual, stayed on point, with his focus on hard work, details, toughness, energy and fundamentals. Since the day he took the job, he has never strayed from that message.

Things, though, got a little more intense late in the conversation when the subject drifted to non-football issues, like how Marinelli would deal with the media, if he was going to do radio and television shows, etc.

"I'm not thinking about it. I'm thinking about hustle and tempo," said Marinelli, who put his hands over his head, touching fingertips and making a large circle. Then he leaned in close to a reporter and, while peppering his comments with some salty language, he got his point across.

"There's a big circle of things to do, but I take the bulls-eye -- What wins? What really matters," Marinelli said, punching his finger into the bulls-eye of the imaginary circle, his voice steady and stern. "Without the bulls-eye, nothing else matters. That bulls-eye, that's who I am. Now, they drag me to these other things and I'll go when they drag me and that's OK, I'll do it. But (that bulls-eye) is who I am, that's what I work at."

Got it.

Marinelli, who was dragged to the annual owners' meetings in Florida for three days of meetings, is eager to get back to the bulls-eye.

"I'm uncomfortable leaving the office too much," said Marinelli, eating a breakfast of poached eggs and nothing else.

During his absence, the Lions are going through their second week of off-season workouts in Allen Park. During the first week, Marinelli was impressed with the team's athleticism and is now focusing on the details.

"They were doing it. You make immediate corrections when they don't," he said. "It's not screaming and yelling. You have to tell them `That's not quite good enough.' Once you let it slide, it's tough to get it back. It has to be a way of life. Once you start getting it, it's fun."

While there has been some expected grumbling from a few players, Marinelli dismisses it. He and key members of his staff, like offensive coordinator Mike Martz and defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, know what to expect when taking over a new team and changing the team's atmosphere and attitude.

"I've been through it, Martz has been through it and Donnie's been through it. And we've all won Super Bowls," Marinelli said. "You can go further in football with toughness and attitude than anything else. You just have to work at it. That's the fun part of football. If it was easy, anybody could do it.

"The fourth quarter is all about duress and who can function."

The grumbling from certain players is going to continue through the off-season workouts and into training camp. Marinelli and his staff has the fortitude to wait them out.

"I am so positive that these guys are going to love this," he said. "When guys see themselves getting better, they'll be patting us on the back, not grumbling."

That's why Marinelli never plans to take his eyes off the #$%#$% bulls-eye.

Quarterback Joey Harrington was scheduled to visit with the Miami Dolphins and head coach Nick Saban Tuesday night. After that, Harrington is expected to fly to Cincinnati to meet with the Bengals.

Other teams who have been granted permission by the Lions to interview Harrington are the Kansas City Chiefs, Seattle Seahawks and Oakland Raiders. The Lions are hoping to trade Harrington for a draft pick prior to the April college draft.

Marinelli said he has no timetable on picking a starting quarterback between Jon Kitna and Josh McCown.

"Hopefully, before the first game," he said. "I really don't have a timetable for it. It could be quick or it could come later (in training camp)."

Keep the faith Lions fans! :D

1393246[/snapback]

I like Marinelli, I am very happy with what we have done with our front office this season.

Maybe for Ford's are finally letting someone else make the decisions.

We will know if the Fords stay out of it or not by our 1st rounder, if we end up with Vince Young we know nothing has changed.

One look at Marinelli's track record as a NFL coach is his long tenure in the NFL and I . . . nevermind.

:D

1393406[/snapback]

Marinelli will be a good head coach in this league. He was the right hand man of Monte Kiffin, who's D has been in the Top 10 the last 10 years running. Coordinators that have come from Tampa's system include Herm Edwards and Lovie Smith. I dont see any reason why Marinelli could have different results then those two.

Marinelli will be a good head coach in this league.  He was the right hand man of Monte Kiffin, who's D has been in the Top 10 the last 10 years running.  Coordinators that have come from Tampa's system include Herm Edwards and Lovie Smith.  I dont see any reason why Marinelli could have different results then those two.

1393587[/snapback]

I agree. I think the Lions just upgraded tremendously with the acquisition of the new coaching staff. The Lions have so much potential to have one of, if not the best defense in the league. Having Marinelli as the head coach to focus on defense and Martz, an offensive genius to focus on the offensive game plan will very possibly turn this team into a true contender. The first year might have similar result from previous years only because it can take time to fully transition with the new coaches, play book, etc., and not to mention the horrible QB situation the Lions are stuck with right now. Depending on who the Lions pick up during the the draft as a QB or in free agency later on or next year, this team should only improve to levels where Detriot has not seen since the days of Barry Sanders... and even during his days Sanders was the only outstanding player on the team.

The Lions have so much potential to have one of, if not the best defense in the league.

1393617[/snapback]

Right. Other than needing a right and left defensive end, inside and outside linebackers, one cornerback and two safeties, the defense is all set.

:D

so you're saying he was a good assistant to an assistant.  :D

1393967[/snapback]

Well, my understanding is that Tampa Bay would not release him to become a defensive coordinator anywhere, even though there was interest. So at least he was a good potential assistant.

actually, of all the inexperienced coaches who got head jobs this year, marinelli's probably the one i'd most want running my team.  but the article at the top of this thread is just one dumb coachspeak cliche after another.

1393976[/snapback]

True, but what kind of answers do you expect to retaraded media questions? And Tom K. definitely puts the taard in retaarded.

Well, my understanding is that Tampa Bay would not release him to become a defensive coordinator anywhere, even though there was interest.  So at least he was a good potential assistant.

1393971[/snapback]

That's exactly right. He signed a contract with the Bucs and they refused to let him out of it (for good reason). They knew they would lose him this year because his contract was up.

Yes, and so was Lovie Smith and Herman Edwards.

1394054[/snapback]

Right, and how any retreads have their been that just have not worked? Marriucci, Jauron, Capers, Schottenheimer (spl)... Nice to see some guys finally get a chance.

I'm a big fan of first impressions.

At his introductory press conference, he looked and sounded like a hardass. As if Millen thinks the Lions are losing because the players are soft and they need someone to toughen them up.

He strikes me as someone who would be easy to tune out and turn a back on when he calls you a feline for the 400th time after the lame ass QB the President and GM brought in makes another poor decision.

Edited by godtomsatan

Marinelli will be a good head coach in this league.  He was the right hand man of Monte Kiffin, who's D has been in the Top 10 the last 10 years running.  Coordinators that have come from Tampa's system include Herm Edwards and Lovie Smith.  I dont see any reason why Marinelli could have different results then those two.

1393587[/snapback]

And Greg Williams D was top 10 quality in Tennesee and how did he do in Buffalo? Or maybe Pittsburgs offense and Mike Mularkey.

Point is, it takes more then a good track record and the fact that they worked with a top quality coach for years to be a good coach. Gregg Williams and Mularkey were the biggest jokes as Bills head coaches.

Not disagreeing that he'll be good, just saying he has a lot to overcome before he can be labeled as such...especially with the Lions! :D

And Greg Williams D was top 10 quality in Tennesee and how did he do in Buffalo? Or maybe Pittsburgs offense and Mike Mularkey.

Point is, it takes more then a good track record and the fact that they worked with a top quality coach for years to be a good coach. Gregg Williams and Mularkey were the biggest jokes as Bills head coaches.

1396492[/snapback]

Greg Williams D can hardly be compared to Monte Kiffins D. People coming out of his system HAVE become quality head coaches in this league. Thats all I'm saying.

I'm a big fan of first impressions.

At his introductory press conference, he looked and sounded like a hardass. As if Millen thinks the Lions are losing because the players are soft and they need someone to toughen them up.

He strikes me as someone who would be easy to tune out and turn a back on when he calls you a feline for the 400th time after the lame ass QB the President and GM brought in makes another poor decision.

1394109[/snapback]

Lions fans always seem to go back and forth. After Fontes was fired, Lions fans thought that the team needed a hard ass to instill discipline. So they hired Bobby Ross. After Ross quit, the fans clamored for a coach who could communicate with the players. Now that we've gone through Moronweg and Marriuci, the Lions faithful are clamoring for a tough guy again.

Not disagreeing that he'll be good, just saying he has a lot to overcome before he can be labeled as such...especially with the Lions!  :D

1396492[/snapback]

Can't you say this about any coach?

Can't you say this about any coach?

1396556[/snapback]

Oh Im not denying the fact that Kiffin is a great coach, nor the fact that there has been a few coaches to come from that tree that have succeeded. Yeah it takes time to develop, but all Im saying is it isnt a sure fire thing that he will be good. I wish him the best (Im from Tampa, but hate the Bucs....so seeing a coach leave is a good thing :D).

Heck, I hope he does good for the Lions for the simple fact that that team deserves a lot more then theyve been given the past few years...Kinda like my team (See Avatar)