[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

how to sharpen knives

10g_DBA

the steel only straightens the edge of the knife, it does not sharpen it (that's my understanding).

Alton Brown is my hero.  I have seen the show about knives.  He says it, it must be so.

1394218[/snapback]

My understading & experience is that the steel straightens the 'feather edge'. Meaning it won't fix dents/dings in the blade, but will sharpen the knife. The knife sharpening people use a wheel, so that will create a hollow ground affect! Not good, as most good blades are flat ground. Hollow grinding may make it sharp initially, but the flat grind is better. JMHO, as an old tool & die maker.

Bier???? Thoughts on this..................

the steel only straightens the edge of the knife, it does not sharpen it (that's my understanding).

1394218[/snapback]

this is correct..... however, there is a "diamond steel" that does give you a sharp blade.

My understading & experience is that the steel straightens the 'feather edge'.  Meaning it won't fix dents/dings in the blade, but will sharpen the knife.  The knife sharpening people use a wheel, so that will create a hollow ground affect!  Not good, as most good blades are flat ground.  Hollow grinding may make it sharp initially, but the flat grind is better. JMHO, as an old tool & die maker.

Bier???? Thoughts on this..................

1394256[/snapback]

yes and no amigo. generally steels straighten or balance. there is a sharpener that comes around from restaurant to restaurant.. uses a wheel and is excellent.

i use what is called a tri-stone (coarse, medium, and fine grain)..... this is the best way to go at home.... no link yet, but i'll find something.

You need to start with sharpening stones. I have several that were my Grandfathers. I also have a Gatco device that holds the knife blades and applies stones at a different angle for different type knives. I have used diamond stones and they work real fast. Nothing like a sharp knife. :D