[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Titans WILL draft QB at 1.3

spain

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...RTS01/603300414

Adams wants Titans to pick QB of future

Training his successor unappealing to McNair

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

Titans owner Bud Adams sounds like he's ready to draft the franchise's quarterback of the future.

The current starting quarterback, however, sounds like he's not ready to step aside anytime soon.

With less than a month remaining before the NFL Draft, there's still plenty of intrigue about what the Titans will do with the No. 3 overall pick and what the future holds for veteran quarterback Steve McNair.

"We ought to get a pretty good quarterback out of this draft,'' Adams said at the NFL owners meetings in Orlando, Fla. "Drafting No. 3, we ought to get a pretty good quarterback in that spot right there. … I hope we get a guy who can be our leader for about 10 years. It's time for that, I think.''

Matt Leinart (USC), Vince Young (Texas) and Jay Cutler (Vanderbilt) are the top three quarterbacks in the April 29-30 draft. The last time the Titans had the No. 3 pick, in 1995, they selected McNair.

McNair's agent, Bus Cook, said yesterday his client wants to be a starter for several more seasons. Cook also indicated that McNair isn't too excited about perhaps having to groom his potential successor.

Complicating matters is McNair's contract. He's scheduled to count $23.46 million against Tennessee's salary cap in 2006, including a base salary of $9 million.

The Titans would like to lower the cap number, which will require restructuring the contract, but talks between Cook and the team are stagnant. There's a chance the Titans could release McNair, who is heading toward his 12th season.

"All I know is Steve is a starter and he is one of the best quarterbacks in football. And if the Titans do in fact draft a new quarterback and they want Steve to stay around and be a mentor to him, then he needs to have a long-term deal. Otherwise it doesn't make sense for him to stay around," Cook said.

"He is a starter. Why would he want to mentor a young guy to take his place? He is not ready for the rocking chair. It doesn't matter if it is Cutler, Leinart, Vince Young or anybody else. It doesn't make sense for Steve McNair to take a huge cut in pay — it wouldn't be this year obviously, but it would be next — to be a mentor for some young guy no matter who it is. It might be great for Tennessee, but it wouldn't be good for Steve.''

The Titans have paid very close attention to Leinart, Young and Cutler in recent weeks, sending a number of scouts, coaches and officials to the Pro Days for Cutler and Young, and spending additional time with them at private workouts.

General Manager Floyd Reese, Coach Jeff Fisher and offensive coordinator Norm Chow are part of a large group scheduled to attend Leinart's Pro Day on Sunday. They will stay in Los Angeles on Monday to work out Leinart privately.

The Titans have been reluctant to offer McNair a deal containing guarantees beyond '06. Cook is interested in a contract that would pay McNair a hefty signing bonus, along with guarantees.

Other teams in need of a veteran quarterback, including the Baltimore Ravens, are keeping an eye on the situation.

"If he is going to play one year he'll play in Tennessee. But if he wants to play three or four more years, which he can, somebody else would pay him I imagine,'' Cook said. "Steve is not a back-up. He is a starter and he should be a starter for two or three years, and he is not there to train a young quarterback right now. Maybe two or three years from now, but not now.

"And I don't think (the Titans) can pay him and a high draft pick (quarterback). ... Steve is just ready to play football, whether it is going to be with the Titans or somebody else.''

Reese had a "good visit" with Cook on Monday, adding, "every day we get closer to a point and time where we are going to have to work something out.''

As for the draft, Reese deferred to the words of the team owner.

"Coming from his lips, he carries a bunch of weight. He's the boss,'' Reese said. "But I think he is probably right. It is no surprise to anybody in the football world that it's getting about time (to draft a quarterback). It is a position we have to address.

"We have understood the value of that position and how important it is to winning. So we are on high alert.''

Jim Wyatt can be reached at jwyatt@tennessean.com or 615-259-8015. Related news from the Web

Latest headlines by topic:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will be Lienhart-the Norm Chow apple is just to tantalizing, that, and the fact he's the best QB in the draft?

1394590[/snapback]

If he makes it to them I agree.

It is looking more and more like McNair could be headed out of Tennessee. I heard the Baltimore rumors and now this that he does not want to tutor the youngster. Gotsta make ya wonder.

What's up with Volek?  I thought he was going to demand a trade if he wasn't going to get his shot in Nashville.  This should become an immediate issue if / when they draft a QB.

1394605[/snapback]

I agree,Seems like if they were gonna keep Mcnair, they would trade Volek.and visa versa. this is another thing that makes me think McNair is headed somewhere else. plus the Rumors of him to Baltimore, now rumors of him not wanting to tutor a younger QB.

It is looking more and more like McNair could be headed out of Tennessee. I heard the Baltimore rumors and now this that he does not want to tutor the youngster. Gotsta make ya wonder.

1394601[/snapback]

Yep. I thought it was funny when people kept saying the Titans would take Vince Young because Steve McNair was his "friend and mentor". That really doesn't mean a whole lot when the youngster is threatening to make his mentor unemployed.

I agree,Seems like if they were gonna keep Mcnair, they would trade Volek.and visa versa. this is another thing that makes me think McNair is headed somewhere else. plus the Rumors of him to Baltimore, now rumors of him not wanting to tutor a younger QB.

1394622[/snapback]

They were talking about that very thing on local sports radio this morning. If they draft a QB at 1.3, then either McNair or Volek wont be on the roster come fall. I assumed Volek would be traded. But I am not so sure now. It is very possible that McNair gets jettisoned and perhaps traded to a team needing a veteran Qb, like the Ravens.

don't you and spain have a bet about who the Titans will draft?

1394632[/snapback]

Yep. Swiss Chees was convinced that the Titans were NOT taking a QB. I was and still am convinced that they will take a QB. That was probably the easiest sigline bet that I have ever won... :D

don't you and spain have a bet about who the Titans will draft?

1394632[/snapback]

Yes. I didn't think they'd take Young; at the time, I thought they'd take Ferguson to replace Hopkins. He said they'd take a QB, not Ferguson.

If they take neither Young nor Ferguson, we both lose (even though spain was more correct than me).

Still, I believe they SHOULD take Ferguson if he's there. They're set at QB for the next couple of years at least and, as we all know, anything can happen in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised to see them back in the playoffs. :D

Yes. I didn't think they'd take Young; at the time, I thought they'd take Ferguson to replace Hopkins. He said they'd take a QB, not Ferguson.

If they take neither Young nor Ferguson, we both lose (even though spain was more correct than me).

Still, I believe they SHOULD take Ferguson if he's there. They're set at QB for the next couple of years at least and, as we all know, anything can happen in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised to see them back in the playoffs. :D

1394640[/snapback]

Not exactly. The bet is that if they take Young or Leinart, I win. If they take Ferguson, which wont happen in a million years, you win. If they take Cutler, its a draw. I think thats how the bet is but maybe Big John can find the thread to verify...

Not exactly.  The bet is that if they take Young or Leinart, I win.  If they take Ferguson, which wont happen in a million years, you win.  If they take Cutler, its a draw.  I think thats how the bet is but maybe Big John can find the thread to verify...

1394648[/snapback]

I think you're wrong. We never discussed Leinart because it was a given that he was going to the Saints. Nice try, though.

1394640[/snapback]

I agree and am personally hoping that they somehow take Furguson.

That being said, they will end up with a QB and I still would not write off it being Young.

Draft day is crazy, teams say alot of things they don't mean to mislead other teams.

Not exactly.  The bet is that if they take Young or Leinart, I win.  If they take Ferguson, which wont happen in a million years, you win.  If they take Cutler, its a draw.  I think thats how the bet is but maybe Big John can find the thread to verify...

1394648[/snapback]

:Dlink

The bet only takes place if the Titans take Young (spain wins) or Ferguson (Swiss wins)

I think you're wrong. We never discussed Leinart because it was a given that he was going to the Saints. Nice try, though.

1394656[/snapback]

Yep, you are right. And I still believe that if Leinart is off the board, the Titans will take Young. The dynamics have changed some since our bet though. Namely, New Orleans signed Drew Brees. If NO cant trade that pick, then Leinart may indeed slip to the Titans at 1.3. I am obviously guessing, but if Leinart and Young are both still on the board, I believe Tennessee will take Leinart.

Complicating matters is McNair's contract. He's scheduled to count $23.46 million against Tennessee's salary cap in 2006, including a base salary of $9 million.

The Titans would like to lower the cap number, which will require restructuring the contract, but talks between Cook and the team are stagnant. There's a chance the Titans could release McNair, who is heading toward his 12th season.

"All I know is Steve is a starter and he is one of the best quarterbacks in football. And if the Titans do in fact draft a new quarterback and they want Steve to stay around and be a mentor to him, then he needs to have a long-term deal. Otherwise it doesn't make sense for him to stay around," Cook said.

Be interesting if TEN takes a QB with the 1.03 and ends up dumping McNair...

Be interesting if TEN takes a QB with the 1.03 and ends up dumping McNair...

1394823[/snapback]

Especially if it's Vince Young. They can toss Volek the reigns for 3 years to let Young develop into a good NFL player (like they did with NcNair), stay competetive behind Volek, and emerge in 3 years with a brighter future.

Especially if it's Vince Young.  They can toss Volek the reigns for 3 years to let Young develop into a good NFL player (like they did with NcNair), stay competetive behind Volek, and emerge in 3 years with a brighter future.

1394835[/snapback]

If TEN takes a QB at 1.03, that guy will play at least some this year and then take the reins in 2007. I would not be surprised at all to see the rookie take over by midseason ALA Eli Manning.

anytime something seems like a foregone conclusion like this (tenn taking a QB), then i start to wonder if maybe they're not blowing smoke. the #1 pick is usually a foregone conclusion, but the teams after that usually find it to their advantage to keep people guessing. could they surprise us and take brick/mario? i wouldn't completely rule it out...

Edited by Azazello1313

If TEN takes a QB at 1.03, that guy will play at least some this year and then take the reins in 2007. I would not be surprised at all to see the rookie take over by midseason ALA Eli Manning.

1394906[/snapback]

You're probably right, but doing it the other way did work well for them WRT McNair, and with Fischer still there I wouldn't be surprised to see the development take longer.

Just so you all know, Volek has asked for a trade several times.

They always say no.

His brother taught me health in high school, and still lives in the area, he keeps me posted.

Expect for them to deal McNair away, draft a QB, and Volek will start for the first half of the season until he makes one mistake, then the rookie is in.