[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Titans WILL draft QB at 1.3

spain

anytime something seems like a foregone conclusion like this (tenn taking a QB), then i start to wonder if maybe they're not blowing smoke.  the #1 pick is usually a foregone conclusion, but the teams after that usually find it to their advantage to keep people guessing.  could they surprise us and take brick/mario?  i wouldn't completely rule it out...

1394921[/snapback]

I always feel the same way, but I do understand where the Titans are coming from IF -- big IF -- they'd be happy with Cutler at #3. In that case, they don't care which QB they get, so they no longer care about revealing their intentions.

However, if they value any two of the three QBs over the other, then they have to be considering that the Texans could still take Young, the Saints trade out of #2 and allow some other team to take a QB, and leave the Titans with their 3rd choice. In that case, there's the potential for this to bite them in the ass.

If Bush were already signed, they could go ahead and show their hand. Otherwise, they're either playing with fire or sandbagging.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't it just last season that mcNair was contemplating retirement? What's

up with the "I don't want to groom my replacement"?

IMO, McNair is becoming brittle. He was fantastic in his prime but his prime is well

past him. I see McNair starting this year and then getting the ax because his

agent won't allow a restructuring of his contract. Nobody in their right mind will

pay 20+ mil for an aging QB, especially when you just drafted your future franchise QB. Look for whoever they draft to end up starting a couple games this

year as McNair will undoubtedly get injured.

I'm not knocking McNair. He was a warrior who often played in pain, but as

the cliche goes, "this is a business".

Wasn't it just last season that mcNair was contemplating retirement? What's

up with the "I don't want to groom my replacement"?

1395959[/snapback]

despite the injuries, mcnair is still capable of being a decent starting qb. if i were him i wouldn't want to 'groom my replacement'. if he knew that that was gonna be his role, he would probably just retire.

I always feel the same way, but I do understand where the Titans are coming from IF -- big IF -- they'd be happy with Cutler at #3. In that case, they don't care which QB they get, so they no longer care about revealing their intentions.

However, if they value any two of the three QBs over the other, then they have to be considering that the Texans could still take Young, the Saints trade out of #2 and allow some other team to take a QB, and leave the Titans with their 3rd choice. In that case, there's the potential for this to bite them in the ass.

If Bush were already signed, they could go ahead and show their hand. Otherwise, they're either playing with fire or sandbagging.

1395841[/snapback]

Agree with everything you said. except i don't think they would mind getting bush at 3

I agree,Seems like if they were gonna keep Mcnair, they would trade Volek.and visa versa. this is another thing that makes me think McNair is headed somewhere else. plus the Rumors of him to Baltimore, now rumors of him not wanting to tutor a younger QB.

1394622[/snapback]

That's why I think this draft is going to be very entertaining. I believe we're

going to see the tradewinds blowing like hell.

1395841[/snapback]

Hey, spain -- what say you about the above? Do you think they'd be equally happy with all three of the top QBs? Or are they just utterly convinced Bush is going first? Or both?

Hey, spain -- what say you about the above? Do you think they'd be equally happy with all three of the top QBs? Or are they just utterly convinced Bush is going first? Or both?

1396277[/snapback]

Based on Floyd Reese's comments, which could be total subterfuge, they dont have Cutler rated as highly as Leinart or Young. If both of those 2 are off the board, I believe they will either take Williams or Ferguson at 1.3 and then take Brodie Croyle in round 2. Or they will trade down. I just dont think they believe that they get much value taking Cutler at 1.3.

Based on Floyd Reese's comments, which could be total subterfuge, they dont have Cutler rated as highly as Leinart or Young.  If both of those 2 are off the board, I believe they will either take Williams or Ferguson at 1.3 and then take Brodie Croyle in round 2.  Or they will trade down.  I just dont think they believe that they get much value taking Cutler at 1.3.

1396281[/snapback]

So, hypothetically, if V. Young goes #1 and the Jets trade to #2 and take Leinart, do you think the Titans are still happy with the scenario you laid out?

I guess my question is this: if they're not as high on Cutler, why would they be letting the whole world know that they want a QB? It just gives a team like the Jets more reason to trade ahead of them to get Leinart. I just don't see the advantage.

So, hypothetically, if V. Young goes #1 and the Jets trade to #2 and take Leinart, do you think the Titans are still happy with the scenario you laid out?

I guess my question is this: if they're not as high on Cutler, why would they be letting the whole world know that they want a QB? It just gives a team like the Jets more reason to trade ahead of them to get Leinart. I just don't see the advantage.

1396284[/snapback]

Well, until Bud Adams, the owner and shot caller, came out and said they absolutely were taking a QB this week, nobody actually stated it. Fisher's and Reeses comment pieced together over the past few months leave no doubt that they were taking one. But they never really came out and said it. It doesnt take a rocket scientist here to figure out that they MUST get a QB in this draft. And a good one. But they realize the other teams are listening to what they say. Maybe they want to generate alot of interest in all 3 QB's so they can trade down in the event that the guys they want arent there. I dont know, but they wont pass on Leinart or Young. And they might not pass on Cutler at 1.3 either. I just got the impression that Reese wasnt impressed with Cutler. But maybe he really likes Cutler best and wanted to give other teams the impression that Cutler wasnt worthy of a high 1st rounder. I really dont know at this point...

1395841[/snapback]

well, i don't completely agree that it indicates they're equally comfortable taking any of the top 3 QBs. i'm sure they assume bush will go 1 or 2, and that's probably a very safe assumption. and if he doesn't, that might be the one scenario where they DON'T draft a QB. so it might indicate they're equally comfortable taking any of their top 3 players, whether that be the 3 QBs, or young/leinart/bush, or whoever.

anyway it's either that, or they're sandbagging with all the QB talk in hopes someone will move up for leinart and they can take brick or mario.

It doesnt take a rocket scientist here to figure out that they MUST get a QB in this draft.  And a good one. 

1396290[/snapback]

i'm not so sure. you could do a whole lot worse than mcnair/volek for the forseeable future. if they don't draft a QB in the first round, is there any reason they can't keep both of those guys around?

i'm not so sure.  you could do a whole lot worse than mcnair/volek for the forseeable future.  if they don't draft a QB in the first round, is there any reason they can't keep both of those guys around?

1396849[/snapback]

Obviously, those were my thoughts as well, when I proclaimed they would take Ferguson. I still don't know why they're so worried about their QB situation. :D

i'm not so sure.  you could do a whole lot worse than mcnair/volek for the forseeable future.  if they don't draft a QB in the first round, is there any reason they can't keep both of those guys around?

1396849[/snapback]

Did you see either of them play last year? And if so, what about their play made you believe that they could lead this team deep into the playoffs in the foreseeable future?

Did you see either of them play last year?  And if so, what about their play made you believe that they could lead this team deep into the playoffs in the foreseeable future?

1397018[/snapback]

Both were learning a new offense with seemed to be drastically different than the one in which both of them "grew up". Plus, they were either throwing to rookie WRs, hurt WRs, or hurt rookie WRs. Plus, Fred Miller was off having a great season for the Bears. Plus, the defense sucked. Plus, Chris Brown was hurt.

Is the answer another QB?

Is the answer another QB?

1397050[/snapback]

For the long term, the answer is unquestionably a resounding YES YES YES. Its not just me that believes we need to find a QB of the future and bring him in for grooming. Adams, Reese, Fisher, Chow, et al have all been on record as acknowledging this fact. There is no way that a QB isnt taken in this draft by the Titans, and most likely with the 1.3 pick.

For the long term, the answer is unquestionably a resounding YES YES YES.  Its not just me that believes we need to find a QB of the future and bring him in for grooming.  Adams, Reese, Fisher, Chow, et al have all been on record as acknowledging this fact.  There is no way that a QB isnt taken in this draft by the Titans, and most likely with the 1.3 pick.

1397071[/snapback]

Well, you know what's best for the franchise better than I do, but I don't see the Titans as a good situation for a young, untested QB two years from now. If they do take a QB high, they better have extra patience.

Well, you know what's best for the franchise better than I do, but I don't see the Titans as a good situation for a young, untested QB two years from now. If they do take a QB high, they better have extra patience.

1397153[/snapback]

McNair did NOT play well last year. He has slipped ALOT. And he has had numerous injury problems the past several years. Volek didnt look great in his limited playing time either. I think they should take a QB, and keep either McNair or Volek to groom him for a year or so. Then throw him in.

McNair did NOT play well last year.  He has slipped ALOT.  And he has had numerous injury problems the past several years.  Volek didnt look great in his limited playing time either.  I think they should take a QB, and keep either McNair or Volek to groom him for a year or so.  Then throw him in.

1397195[/snapback]

Don't you agree that after a year or so, the RB, WR, OT, and OG positions will all need to be upgraded?

Don't you agree that after a year or so, the RB, WR, OT, and OG positions will all need to be upgraded?

1397288[/snapback]

After a year or two? Dude, this was a 4-12 team last year which followed a 5-11 campaign. We need to upgrade all if those positions now, not in 2 years!!

After a year or two?  Dude, this was a 4-12 team last year which followed a 5-11 campaign.  We need to upgrade all if those positions now, not in 2 years!!

1397298[/snapback]

You misundersood me -- I agree that all those positions SHOULD be upgraded now, but they won't be. A year from now, the team will need a new RB, a legitimate #1 WR (Givens? :D ), a solid OT, and some interior OL help.

If they could improve all that right now, I have to believe they would. The fact remains those positions have the potential to bite them in the ass badly in a year -- especially if some young kid is behind center.

Saturday, 04/01/06

The clock is ticking on McNair

Commentary by JOE BIDDLE

Staff Writer

More and more I'm getting the vibe this isn't going to end the way Steve McNair envisions.

This is the first day of April and the meter is running on the Titans quarterback's future.

There seems to be little urgency on the part of the Titans to reach a restructured contract. There's just a lot of financial filibustering between Titans General Manager Floyd Reese and McNair's agent, Bus Cook.

McNair has one opinion on his value to the team. He's asking for $9 million, the amount his current contract calls for this season, but the Titans are thinking about half that amount.

So much money. So little time.

McNair believes he can play three or four more seasons. He must be hallucinating.

He has played 12 seasons, the first two sparingly behind Oilers starter Chris Chandler.

He has absorbed a significant number of hits. Injuries have limited the number of games he has played and the number of days he was able to practice, even when he managed to play on Sundays.

Competitors as fierce as McNair think they can outrun Father Time. Doesn't work. The body doesn't buy into it.

McNair's NFL days are numbered — in days, not years.

He missed two games last season, eight the previous season. That doesn't count the practices he missed. His limited practice time last year was especially telling, as young wide receivers never established a rhythm with McNair and vice versa.

The most revealing evidence concerning McNair's future came out of Orlando this week.

Titans Owner Bud Adams doesn't often interfere with the football operations side of things. But when Bud speaks, the earth beneath Baptist Sports Park trembles.

Remember the playoffs-or-pink slip choice he gave Titans Coach Jeff Fisher and Reese?

Guess what? They made the playoffs.

At the NFL owners meetings in Mousetown, Adams said the Titans should draft a quarterback with the No. 3 pick on April 29.

He will leave the preference up to Reese and the scouting department, but Adams is banking on that selection being his team's starter for the next 10-12 years.

It doesn't matter if Matt Leinart, Vince Young or Jay Cutler turns out to be their guy. The Titans aren't going to allow someone they invest in heavily to sit on the bench three or four seasons just so McNair can leave on his own terms.

It's more like one year to watch and learn, then hand him the keys to the car.

The offense is young for the most part. So is offensive coordinator Norm Chow, going into his second NFL season. The timing is right for them to mature together.

The last thing the Titans need is an aging quarterback they can't count on to stay healthy. The week to week uncertainty does no one any good.

McNair knows this is a business. Eddie George can confirm that, if need be.

The Titans should present McNair a "one or done'' offer. Sign for a lower number this season or be released.

McNair can see how much another NFL team covets him and the Titans can look to the future.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...347/1106/SPORTS

1395841[/snapback]

Have u ever thought that they might want Bush to fall to them. :D

Have u ever thought that they might want Bush to fall to them.  :D

1398157[/snapback]

Yes, of course. I think in one of my mocks I had them taking Bush, actually.

Still, with Brown and Henry in the fold, the two coveted players that any "consipiracy" would support are Ferguson and M. Williams.

Have u ever thought that they might want Bush to fall to them.  :D

1398157[/snapback]

If Bush miraculously falls to the Titans at 1.3, they will take him. No doubt whatsoever about that...