[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can anyone explain this new rule?

BigTen

Are they trying to make things easier for the center?

*Centers who snap on field goals, extra points and punts can not have a defender line up directly over him. Instead, the defender has to line up outside the snapper's shoulder pads. The penalty for illegal formation will be 5 yards, but few penalties are expected to be called because officials will warn the player before the snap.

Are they trying to make things easier for the center?

*Centers who snap on field goals, extra points and punts can not have a defender line up directly over him. Instead, the defender has to line up outside the snapper's shoulder pads. The penalty for illegal formation will be 5 yards, but few penalties are expected to be called because officials will warn the player before the snap.

1395450[/snapback]

its so they dont destroy the snapper

The last thing Tags should do before he retires is rename the NFL to NPPFL-National Powder Puff Football League. With all the rule changes they should start allowing girls and old people to play. Hey Grandma! play QB they can't hit you so don't worry. :D It's getting to be a joke, what happened to the old-fashioned game of football. Let current day players play with few pads and no facemasks, and then they'll truly understand football the way it was meant to be and not the sissy game it is now. I'm all about the health and safety of the players but isn't the risk of getting hurt part of the reason they're paid so much.

The last thing Tags should do before he retires is rename the NFL to NPPFL-National Powder Puff Football League.  With all the rule changes they should start allowing girls and old people to play.  Hey Grandma! play QB they can't hit you so don't worry.  :D  It's getting to be a joke, what happened to the old-fashioned game of football.  Let current day players play with few pads and no facemasks, and then they'll truly understand football the way it was meant to be and not the sissy game it is now.  I'm all about the health and safety of the players but isn't the risk of getting hurt part of the reason they're paid so much.

1395479[/snapback]

Only Rosie O'Donnell would stop 250 pound men from slamming into your knees or your head at full speed. What are they thinking? :D

The rules on QB's focus on the head and going below the knees intentionally.

It sounds like they think the long snapper is in a vulnerable position in the snapping position and not just ready to take a direct hit from the defending player.  So it looks like a protection rule.

1395462[/snapback]

Got no probelm with that but I never really noticed long snappers getting hurt that often.

:D That was my thought ... anybody remember one ever getting hurt?

1395697[/snapback]

Maybe it wasn't permanent injury... but I bet they were sore on Monday. You know... when they had to carry the real players equipment off the bus and into the practice facility.

:D That was my thought ... anybody remember one ever getting hurt?

1395697[/snapback]

Who pays attention to the Long Snapper? Plus I have seen Long Snappers get hurt and some clown replacing him and everyone watching the replacement on his first longsnap.

I know the Lions snapper got hurt last year or the year before.

Usually the LT just snaps the ball and dives down making the nose tackle hurdle him and even if he gets by there the middle backer protecting that lane.

Pretty minor rule change IMO.

if you notice on punts, not too sure about field goals or xp's, the snapper has his head down lookin to where he is snapping....very vunerable position to be in with a 300lber on top of you...normal centers have their heads up

think they are just tryin to protect guys

this one hits a little more close to home than I would like to admit, I almost just passed out reading this. I got a broken ankle and tore the hat trick of the knee ligaments because I was unable to get my head up on an extra point in high school. When your head is down, your butt is up. When your butt is up, your legs are extended, not bent and athletic. You can't react to whoever may be falling down around you. How often long snappers get injured is irrelevant.

What is the first thing the coaches say to you the first day of football practice??? At all times, keep your head up!!! Even the punter, returner, QB, & WR all get to have their heads up. The WR's can bail out if they want. The QBs can see 75% of the pressure. The fact that these snappers have to go onto NFL football fields and start a play with their head down makes these guys flat insane. They have (had) no idea who was gonna hit them, or how, or if they were gonna use their helmet or what, they just knew they had to get their head up in a hurry and take their punishment. Good move by the NFL that has been implemented in all lower levels of football.

I saw Jeff Fisher on NFL Network talking about this rule change. He admitted that no center had been seriously injured "yet", but in watching film, they realized it was just a matter of time. I have no problem fixing the issue prior to someone breaking their neck (or actually having it broken for them). Wathing the Theisman leg break is one thing, but I don't think I could handle watching some 280 pounder have his body folded down on his neck so that his facemask impacts his chest pad. :D